Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant find any new regs for sept 1....waiting to see before I enter the derby. Anyone find anything?
You will not see any new regs unless dfo decides to extend the present ones which end Sept. 1
Back it goes to 2 per day and 2 possession any size for Chinook

There isn't going to be any new regs. Restrictions are off Sept 1st. You can phone DFO if you wish but that is what is happening.

Will be there for derby Sat.

Beauty day out on the water today! Played a 99cm this morning around 8:30. Awesome fighting fish, hope to see him back in a few days lol. Lots of small ones and a few non sticking coho. Brought 1 keeper crab home today, better than nothing:)

With the amount of boats out today, I'm surprised that reports are thin.
We got out at 10:15 between Aldridge and the head, and had our 72cm in the boat shortly before 11. Didn't see any nets out between the head and the trap. Flood got a bit too much so we wandered out to coho land and proceeded to lose two fish. One almost got to the boat, and the other broke the hook at the teaser.

Orcas were in the bay, and my kicker wouldn't get into gear (despite having working perfectly the last time out). Oh well, one fish is a perfectly good excuse to try it all again tomorrow!

Winning combo was green flasher with green/orange/glow Ap sandlance. 90ft of wire in 300+

Fished the Head from 7:30-12. Had 3 hits that didn't stick and then the whales showed up. Saw two fish landed the entire morning. My crab pot was loaded with large females that were released. There were chicken bones in the trap which was kind of odd when I baited the trap with salmon scraps two days ago o_O.

Gave Church Rock a rub from 7-11, looked pretty slow. Only hit was a wild coho and didn't see much going on with the boats out there. The most excitement all morning was tossing the gear in a pile and ripping over to Christopher Pt to respond to a mayday call on 16... to find nobody there in distress. Seems whoever had the emergency was already back at the marina in the few minutes it took me to get there, so I'm guessing they were at a different point around the corner.

Speaking of emergencies; I towed a boat into the harbour today. They lost their prop right off the shaft - and no kicker. I thought I had seen it all! lol

Put in early at Pedder this morning and trolled from church out to near secretary and back.

managed 1- 63 cm spring off the head a few shakers and 4 or 5 small ling. 44’ - 99’ on the rigger in 60-140’ of water.

Lots of guys out with the calmer weather and weekend but didn’t look like lots of fish where being caught.

FYI there was a small yellow float in 300-350’ off the SE end of secretary all hung up in a kelp raft. Must be a prawn trap ? We went over to get a closer look and had both riggers hung up on the line, luckily was able to do some quick maneuvering and free things up.

Common/well not unheard of on Volvo legs if the Star washer fails and cone nut backs off. Don’t ask how I know.

I’m curious if anyone knows if all the Sooke net pen fish are tagged or just clipped ?

I know they are Nitnat fish, so other than catch location what’s indicating to DFO that all these heads are from the project ?

I have to say I have noticed a difference in the amount and size of fish around Sooke this year vs a few years back.

Here’s to hoping the fishing just keeps getting better and DFO sees that the project is a success !

Best day of the year Saturday. Took my son and his buddy out. All that talk about right rod to shore must have scared everyone off. Calm day with only 2 other boats at Muir.
Dropped the first rod in at 6:45 and had fish on before we could get the second down. Hooked 12 springs and got 8 to the boat. Kept 2 80cm and 1 78cm. Released 3 over and 2 unders.
I set the bait and drove the boat. My crew took care of the rest. They let me play 1 fish. Lol.

Attachments

• C444CC64-908C-4649-ADF8-24685486500B.jpeg
    C444CC64-908C-4649-ADF8-24685486500B.jpeg
    356.4 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Sunday went out in friends boat to try and replicate Saturday’s epic fishing. Same time, same place but fairly slow morning. Released 2 small springs around 6 lb. lost 1 good fish and had a couple other hits. Guess I needed the kids on board.
Still no keeper crab for me though I tried shallow water. Will have to try chicken I guess.
Sent in 1 hatchery head from Saturday’s fishing.

Last edited:
100,000 of the Sooke net pen fish are clipped and tagged each year. Our board wants to do 100% of them but clipping and tagging is the biggest expense of the project. Our funding sources have dried up because of Covid so unless we find new funding it isn't likely to happen soon. The net pen fish are the only clipped fish released in Sooke waters. All 500,000 are also water marked by the Nitinat Hatchery so that if the carcasses were recovered post spawn in the river they could be identified as the net pen transplants by ba lab.

Family commitments and wind have kept us off the water for the past 6 days, but got out today. As expected, things are winding down a bit now. Went to Muir and lines in the water by 6:30am. Small herring in t.h. again each side. To start only about 6 boats at Otter and 3 at Muir but the boat traffic picked up by 7:30am. We had a decent hit at 7:15am at 60’ in only 66’ of water and played him to the surface where we had him on for maybe two minutes. Then the hook popped and he was gone. :(Waited until 10:15am, after tide change, for next hit at 66’ in 82’ of water and played a 10lb fish to the boat. And that was all she wrote. No freight trains today and no other hits!! Pulled gear at 1:30pm. :(We saw three guide boats among the fleet at Muir but only saw two fish caught all morning.

Couple more trips for the biggies I think and then it is time to wait for the coho.;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back