Boat Choice , new to boating

Dgsafe

I’m new to the boating world ( had a Sangster, Peterborough and a Donzai, 30 years ago) I am looking at either a clean 94 Bayliner with a 3.0 or a 05 Campion 542 Explorer with a 5.0
Any recommendations ? I want something that is nice to cruise in and still comfortable to fish with.
I need the Cuddy for the wife has a head to use.
Thanks Doug/ Nanoose Bay

I have a 542 with an outboard, didn't know they came with an inboard. I really, really like it. Easy to trailer, lots of freeboard to handle most weather, economical to run, lots of room to fish and lots of seating that is comfortable. The cuddy is pretty small, but for just laying down or getting out of the sun for a bit it works great.

Your wife will have to be very short to be able to use the porta potty in the 542. There's not a lot of headroom.

Need to know length of boat?,trailerable?,do you have parking spot for trailer?how often do you plan on using it? and budget .

Last edited:
It’s actually a 552, 17’9 and it’s not in great shape , seems they has issues with water in the fuel tank and have installed water separators to fix the issue.
So far the 94 Bayliner is the cleanest unit so far, going to have a look at a Maxum 2100sc with 5.0 litre and alpha one leg
Just want to find a boat that hasn’t been torn apart, that’s clean, I may have to bump up the budget and buy new
I have lots of room for parking and have a Yukon XL Denali to tow

It’s actually a 552, 17’9 and it’s not in great shape , seems they has issues with water in the fuel tank and have installed water separators to fix the issue.
So far the 94 Bayliner is the cleanest unit so far, young to check a 1998 Maxum

Buy Robert Snyder’s 26’ Hourston and finish as you like. I don’t think anyone could find a better hull......!

Kidding......I hate that saying. But I have caught some nice fish on this platform with the previous owner

Okay , looking at brand new now, way too much beat up boats out there,
campion 622WA,,,Yamaha 200 outboard,,,,thoughts?

Okay , looking at brand new now, way too much beat up boats out there,
campion 622WA,,,Yamaha 200 outboard,,,,thoughts?
It'd be the boat of my choice if it wasn't so much more than a 542... That extra little bit of size is really nice.. while still economical to run.

Yeah. A pretty nice step up from a 94 Bayliner! (Not that there’s anything wrong with that)

I just recently bought an used campion 542. So far pretty happy with it, I like the design and layout. I use it mainly for fishing. Although I'm already getting a bit of 2 footitis, wondering maybe i should have bought the 622. lol

Campions are great, I had the 542 for 11 years, they are big boats in a small package, my Grady White 228 is only 6 inches wider than the 2000 542 I had. But stay away from inboards as I have friends that had issues with them, just my opinion

I just recently bought an used campion 542. So far pretty happy with it, I like the design and layout. I use it mainly for fishing. Although I'm already getting a bit of 2 footitis, wondering maybe i should have bought the 622. lol
Haha me 2.

Back