Status
Not open for further replies.
Thursday morning in the fog tried mooching off the south corner of Secretary. A big fish pounded the cut plug right off the kelp. Enough pressure to pull my little tinner into the tide and away. Fortunately the seals were still sleeping. A decent scrap and I got the fish near the boat. Clearly over. I was alone. Played yo yo with it as I tried to grab it with 6oz weight bashing everywhere. The leader eventually parted. Since I lost the fish, I'm going to say it was 25#. ;)
After that, a school of black bass ate most of my herring. Tried Possession but it was busy and I'm sure I was annoying to trollers. Nothing on the sounder.

Got out twice today and went 2-4 on both trips. One clipped spring so turning in the head. Funny I had a 15 pound chum yesterday too. Crabbing has been good this summer, 4-8 everyday...those chicken backs do the trick.

Got out twice today and went 2-4 on both trips. One clipped spring so turning in the head. Funny I had a 15 pound chum yesterday too. Crabbing has been good this summer, 4-8 everyday...those chicken backs do the trick.

I can't believe the amount of crab traps in Sooke harbour. Both my traps were loaded with females and undersized with only a couple of keepers. I can't help but assume that a lot of those traps in Sooke and elsewhere are derelict. Perhaps there should be an occasional closure to identify and remove such traps.

Crabbing has sucked for me. 3 keepers 1 day. Nothing but females unders and rocks since.
I’ll try some chicken before giving up.

I get chicken backs from Fairways..put 2 packages in each trap..they are about $2.00 per pack. When I have heads I combine those with the chicken....seems to be working. My traps are only in 5ft of water at low tide...found a spot and its been consistent.

Anyone brave the wind this morning?
Hoping to bring the kids down for a fish Sunday weather permitting and they generally only have a couple hours in them. Trying to figure out if I should launch at spirit bay and fish beachy head to secretary or launch in sooke and head up towards otter point/muir creek.

I go to Big Wave Dave Gordon beach webcam to see the weather it also gives the wind speed and direction for the next couple of days tomorrow morning looks good

Facebook post says Pedder to Secretary Slow! Slow !

First current change (ebb to flood) just happening wait for it. Pretty sure there will be some fish caught. Be prime time also mid day bite.

In response to question above go out of spirit bay. It's better for the kids and you tuck into bay if fog gets nasty.

You can also jig for some rockfish to make it fun for them

Tommorow the ebb current slows down mid morning so will be very flat with the light west wind. Might be a bit bumpy first thing going into the ebb with opposing west wind. At least in bay you can decide which way to go.

Great day at Otter today with my "little" son. 4 good springs, kept 2. Had another mature spring (already getting dark) but only 5# - must be a jack. 2 Cohos (one super fat one) but both wild. Lost at least 2 more good springs. Bait outfished hardware hands down today. And my son me! At one time I lost 3 fish within 10 minutes, Jeez! None of the fish clipped. One of the springs was white. And almost the entire SVIAC executive on the water today!

6.jpg

Great day at Otter today with my "little" son. 4 good springs, kept 2. Had another mature spring (already getting dark) but only 5# - must be a jack. 2 Cohos (one super fat one) but both wild. Lost at least 2 more good springs. Bait outfished hardware hands down today. And my son me! At one time I lost 3 fish within 10 minutes, Jeez! None of the fish clipped. One of the springs was white. And almost the entire SVIAC executive on the water today!

View attachment 56438

Holy cow he got tall! Well done CM.

I can tell you this last week I have had quite a few hatchery springs all have gone into the head return , im looking forward to seeing where they are from for sure . WAY more then ive ever seen before , Sure hoping they are the SVIAC fish and show DFO the system works. lots of fish out there guys so I suggest if your enjoying this fishing get them derby tickets...for next weekend

Good luck wolf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back