Status
Not open for further replies.
And now...back to fishing reports. Sounds like we should have been at Possession today as didn't have, or see, much action at Trap Shack today. After the fog burned off it was still a brilliant day!

Aug26.jpg

So close and yet so far from the fish! :)

Aug261.jpg

Fair enough. You’re including the fish caught by your customers and a lot caught (and presumably released) on your own account. Until a couple of years ago, the annual limit was 20 retained Chinook a year (it’s now 10).
The annual limit was actually 30 for years, which was quite excessive imo.

The annual limit was actually 30 for years, which was quite excessive imo.

This is the Sooke thread and in Sooke we had a 20 annual limit for many years that was recently cut 50 % to 10, so Saxe Point is correct. The daily limit was also cut 50% from two to one. We were told these sacrifices and many others were about conservation. It is looking like that was a lie and it appears it was actually about political trade offs and reallocation.

As for a 30 annual Chinook limit, I understand that it did exist in some, mostly remote areas of the coast in recent years but not in Sooke or Victoria.

Last edited:
Fishing has been good as the morning floods just like 2 weeks ago .. doesnt seem to matter what depths 45 to 90 feet ive heard from other guys all types of colors for me green as always.
had to let a few biggies go which really sucks hope the stick around for just a few more days... also hearing its been good from the trap area and head and all the other spots seems like the fish are in good numbers.
I even got a 13 lb chum yesterday ????? nice chrome thats the fish on the far left...and a few coho in the mix .

123389@2x.png

This is the Sooke thread and in Sooke we had a 20 annual limit for many years that was recently cut 50 % to 10, so Saxe Point is correct. The daily limit was also cut 50% from two to one. We were told these sacrifices and many others were about conservation. It is looking like that was a lie and it appears it was actually about political trade offs and reallocation.

As for a 30 annual Chinook limit, I understand that it did exist in some, mostly remote areas of the coast in recent years but not in Sooke or Victoria.
Everyone in bc had an annual limit of 30, just couldn’t all be retained from the same management area. Is Sooke not area 20 and Vic not area 19?

Fishing has been good as the morning floods just like 2 weeks ago .. doesnt seem to matter what depths 45 to 90 feet ive heard from other guys all types of colors for me green as always.
had to let a few biggies go which really sucks hope the stick around for just a few more days... also hearing its been good from the trap area and head and all the other spots seems like the fish are in good numbers.
I even got a 13 lb chum yesterday ????? nice chrome thats the fish on the far left...and a few coho in the mix .

123389@2x.png

Awesome day Roy but the question of the day is,, who’s doing the photo bomb in the background lol.

Out yesterday from 5:30 - 8 with very little to show for it, except that we rescued a distressed boat moments away from being dashed upon the rocks on Frazier Island, so we spent an hour towing them to Cheanuh. Poor fellas, the kicker was overheating (he said it was clogged, I say broken water pump) and something was draining the starter battery so the main wouldn't start, even with a booster. The tide and wind got the better of them and they were heading towards the rocks.

Everyone safe in the end and we had some good laughs - I told them my price was the fish in their boat, but they were skunked too!

No fish, but good karma today. Feels pretty good.

Got my boat out to the Head on Wed am in the fog, started between Aldrige and the Head, got a hit early was a rockfish released followed by a small spring also released then 2 big Humpbacks said good morning beside us, quite for an hour. Not used to fog fishing we pointed west and I followed a larger boat for a while then we got a nice one 79cm bonked but I can’t tell you exactly where but somewhere in the Bay as the fog started to break up and we could see the tree line to the head a ways in front of us. Picked up our speed and got back there and fog started to burn off 9:30. But not much action so we headed to the Trap in the sun. We get there and what do I see but Stizzla’s old boat Tight Lines in the Trap. Admin I think you got me in your picture red top window open. We attacked the trap from the west in tight 80 ft Contour and turned out Along the rocks BANG rod goes off the clip, POP other side bouncing the scrap begins but both fish had learned the shake left roll right bye bye move #*^%#. Swung back had another hit and again good fight but I lose. Tried a few more but nothing headed out deeper relaxing eating lunch Bang another double header Scrappy but been schooled and off they went. I lost 5 good fights and lost a cannon ball with its belongings to get a very pleasing skunk.

Attachments

• 40CA1E8D-B25E-4FBE-881E-C40EA8BD5511.jpeg
    40CA1E8D-B25E-4FBE-881E-C40EA8BD5511.jpeg
    423.5 KB · Views: 154
Started out at the Head in the fog at 7:30. We fished the hole without a bite until 10am when there was a decent hit that didn't stick. Next, it was a constant battle to keep the gear in the water with all the shakers. Packed it in at 11:30 for the second skunking of the year. Saw a few springs come in from the Head.

Last edited:

123389@2x.png
nice chum i was going to try for some chum locally around vancouver here off the fraser in october

I plan on heading out either tomorrow or Sunday for another go.

Anyone having any consistent success on decent coho? I was out a few times in July but it seems the last few times I have been out the coho have moved on.

I am just want to know if it’s worth trying for them if we go and get our springs early ?

I plan on heading out either tomorrow or Sunday for another go.

Anyone having any consistent success on decent coho? I was out a few times in July but it seems the last few times I have been out the coho have moved on.

I am just want to know if it’s worth trying for them if we go and get our springs early ?
That was my plan this morning but I didn’t get any springs. On the other hand, I didn’t get any coho either when I tried for them, so it all balanced out in the end.

fished Otter today 8-1 in the fog. Not too crowded maybe because of the fog which hung around all day. One 79cm 16lb on skinny G at 8:30 and one wild coho soon after then not another bite rest of day.

Wow! She’s still looking pretty sexy!

And she has been catching fish...except on Wednesday! @Original, I was on board Tight Lines as a good buddy of mine purchased it from Stizz and invited me along. We worked the reef hard but only had 3 hits to show for it and nothing stuck around to even gives us a short fight. Always amazes me how they can strip a teaser head clean of a piece of bait and avoid those two hooks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back