Herring bait prep

the butcher

Getting ready for sept fishing at north and south arm. Used to always brine my anchovy and herring in a wet brine to stiffen them up. Last year I went out a few times using a dry kosher salt brine. Left them in the salt for days and days until they were super stiff and dehydrated. Didn't look as nice as wet brine but they stayed hard and were easy to fish and kept their bend more easily and did not break apart. Had good success and so I am wondering if this is the way to go... Curious if any of you use a kosher salt only dry brine and brine them for a long time to the point they have wrinkles from being dehydated... Super easy to use when they are that firm. Wondering if you guys brine in kosher salt for as long as I do..

Yes that’s the way to go.

The wrinkles ones plump up after s few minutes. I usually re check and adjust the roll then.

Yes, but I usually use Canadian Tire pool salt from a 40lb sack. It lasts me years and is under $10.00 if you find it on sale. Good for icy sidewalks too. Sometimes I'll squirt some Mrs. Stewarts in a mayo jar of salt then shake it up then pour it in the the bait cooler with the baits. I just leave it in the boat for a 4-5 day trip. They dry out, but will re-hydrate as they twirl if they don't get hit first. No need to refrigerate, but beware of critters at night. Whole bait cooler goes in the freezer if they make it home.

Last edited:
I use coarse salt from pnt but the big 20lb bag I think it is ..... put the chovies or herring in the bait cooler throw a couple cups of the salt and fill with water just so they cover them..... then a squirt of Mrs Stewart’s.... lasts for days never a wrinkle or dehydrated, If they haven’t been hit within 30 mins then I put a new one on anyways.

I use coarse salt from pnt but the big 20lb bag I think it is ..... put the chovies or herring in the bait cooler throw a couple cups of the salt and fill with water just so they cover them..... then a squirt of Mrs Stewart’s.... lasts for days never a wrinkle or dehydrated, If they haven’t been hit within 30 mins then I put a new one on anyways.

Coarse salt from pnt? Where do you buy that? Also, is pool salt pure table salt but finer? Is there any other ingredients in it? Thanks for suggestions guys as been looks for large bags of salt...

Coarse salt from pnt? Where do you buy that? Also, is pool salt pure table salt but finer? Is there any other ingredients in it? Thanks for suggestions guys as been looks for large bags of salt...
I had a buddy find the ingredients many years ago who was a chem geek, pool salt has the same ingredients as coarse salt but ground fine been using pool salt for many years now and works great easier to dissolve, and can get a huge bag for very cheap when it comes on sale at can tire.... I do a wet brine of water from ocean and add salt and mix till it wont take .
Best thing I can tell you and I do not know why but frozen bait for some reason doesnt brine well I find when its thawed its way better.....

You DO NOT want table salt as it has iodine in it and burns the bait .

I just get the no name kosher salt from super store. Very cheap without buying a 20 lb bag.

I buy a load of boxes of pickling salt that way it's always there for smoking, pickling and bait... straight up dry brine salt in a tupper ware for the newest ones and after a few trips the older ones go into a ziplock for the just incase....burned right through the old ones last season... in the freezer bag open so the freezer pulls the water out of the salt after each outing..

Does anyone still do the garlic powder and all that crap?

I do the classic kosher salt, dechlorinated water, blue dye and dehydrated milk. I tried some garlic oil once but felt it was way too much. Has always worked well for me.

I dry brine first for 24hrs or until they wrinkle up, then keep them in a salty wet brine for the duration. Can add whatever you like in the wet brine and they soak them up well. Covered container. I'm still using afew anchovies from last year and they are working fine. herring is tougher so will last even longer. Works for me.

i fish herring 100 percent of the time, none of those dainty little anchovy . pack them in pickling salt , no water , tough baits for fishing in current and as said above they plump right up once they hit the water

i fish herring 100 percent of the time, none of those dainty little anchovy . pack them in pickling salt , no water , tough baits for fishing in current and as said above they plump right up once they hit the water
I find large chovies firm up better than small Herring. Don't know why.

got your pool salt smoked salmon lol i would mess it up
NO i wouldn't use it for smoked salmon ill stick to pickling salt for that I dont want to screw with my recipe or ruin fish....

For bait it works GREAT ,,, as I change my brine every couple of weeks pool salt was way cheaper when your brining 2 cases a year I go thru alot of salt and ill be honest im cheap...

Back