2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the sooke fish have been from the American hatcheries just like the ones we were getting in OB in may and June
How would you know that? I call bs on that, none of the probably 20 springs I caught and mostly released off of Sooke in the last while were clipped and US hatcheries clip most of their products.

Out off Victoria today hoping the fish have moved down from sooke . Lots of boats from breakwater to Sax point kinda reminded me of bumper boats in Sooke... minus the fish. Pretty slow all morning with only seeing a few rods lightly bent. Bite was supposed to come on at 2-4 and at 2 we got a small hatch spring but let it go then big wakes and racing boats lined up off of Sax point waiting for a large pod of 10 or more Orcas to run into them. Looked like they got a great show, we turned and stayed a good distance pulled our gear and shut off finder & motor. Needless to say not another bite but an absolute beauty day. Something about fishing the waterfront I just love it.

Attachments

• 6CCD0B63-5DE8-4B05-A49E-2B6D56259752.png
    6CCD0B63-5DE8-4B05-A49E-2B6D56259752.png
    978.3 KB · Views: 99
Out off Victoria today hoping the fish have moved down from sooke . Lots of boats from breakwater to Sax point kinda reminded me of bumper boats in Sooke... minus the fish. Pretty slow all morning with only seeing a few rods lightly bent. Bite was supposed to come on at 2-4 and at 2 we got a small hatch spring but let it go then big wakes and racing boats lined up off of Sax point waiting for a large pod of 10 or more Orcas to run into them. Looked like they got a great show, we turned and stayed a good distance pulled our gear and shut off finder & motor. Needless to say not another bite but an absolute beauty day. Something about fishing the waterfront I just love it.
Beautiful day out the water front, 4 hours fishing first thing in the morning nothing till 9 then bite came on, lost two nice one at the boat, teenagers and got a 12 all on bait
There is fish out there, just put your time it will pay off

SLOW.... out in the breakwater, went out at 4:15 to catch the evening bite, no action, didn’t see anything happening. Wind came up and I was blown off the water at 7 ish. Bait both sides, from 45’-90’

1 keeper in the trap

Last edited:
Late post

started the day at the ramp at 5:25 am, which was lined up back to the road.....apparently everyone wanted the early start. The association did a great job moving people along and organizing the parking.

everyone one moved in an orderly fashion and I was fishing within about 20 minutes, I didn’t see a lot of action but I did see about 6-8 hookups (that needed nets) just west of the green can from 9:30-11:30. I had no action on the rods, and I was tired of trolling, so I jigged for about an hour, just by the green can and 1 pass in front of the breakwater. 1 dog and a couple of sole , but that was it. Several bait balls passed under, but no salmon were feeding on them :(. Trolled from 35-99’ using bait.

at one point I counted about 60 boats in the waterfront. (Fish weren’t biting, I needed something to pass the time)

returned for the trap, which was left overnight. 5 male crabs, 3 keepers.

Nothing really to report other than I talked to a guy at Cattle point who got a 15 on the flats lots of Dungeness in my traps all but one females and the male wasn’t big enough.
It was a nice afternoon and everything worked great during the shakedown cruise before next week

What was the fishing like for the month of May,June and July at Oak Bay. I did not fish the catch and release month so have no reports
of how the fishing was. I fish spin cast/Gonzales point and the month of August has been terrible compared to last year. This time last year I had 5
Salmon from the point in the first 2 weeks....... This year Nada.....Zilth...... Zero..... not even a sniff for the whole month.

I would like to know if all of the salmon have passed or are just late and maybe Sept will be better.

Thought I’d give it a go off the waterfront. First time for me this year as I’ve been spending some time out in Sooke. Nice to see some familiar boats and faces out there. But, not the familiar face of a Chinook. Fished 1-5 and saw absolutely nothing, and had absolutely nothing.
Back to Sooke next time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back