2020 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been hitting refresh to see what this big SE has done to the water. Finally got a shot and it’s 30 miles from Tofino on the 100 fathom line!
I’m pretty sure this Blow is going to bring in big changes! Closer to tofino, and really close in to winter harbour! Get ready, it’s going to be a great season. ;)

I booked 5 nights at a nice condo in Ukee Sept 7-12 for some quality time including my anniversary with my wife and some easy fishing around Beg Island, maybe Swale if it's calm, calm.
She doesn't know I'm following this thread. I better read up on hikes and other things to do for her while I'm gone if I can. 40 mile limit and very nice conditions and forecast required for the little whaler.

Anyone looking at Thursday this week out of Tofino?

Hey guys are you cutting the gills out and gutting your tuna before packing in ice or are you leaving guys in until you get to dock?
rip a gill and leave it attached if you are weighing it in. fish must be bled for the derby. otherwise we rip out and send it with the chovie chunks as chum.

Hey guys are you cutting the gills out and gutting your tuna before packing in ice or are you leaving guys in until you get to dock?
IF there is time after brain spike and bleeding is complete I remove the guts and if space starts to run out and the bite is wide open then heads off is a great overtime move to really plug the boat. Removing the guts and belly pack them with ice at sea is a good way to get that core temp down quickly, just depends how much you enjoy quality sashimi I suppose.

And since I now View attachment 56137 View attachment 56138 remember how to post pics...here is all I could scratch up from my trip last week. No tuna, just marine mammals. Saw two new (to me) species. A northern pacific right whale dolphin (easy to ID since it has no dorsal fin) and a pair of northern fur seals.

You should report the right whale to whale reports. I report all I see and they really appreciate it. They do have an app and you may also be able to do it on their website. That is a rare sighting and well worth letting them know.

It is a BC based site/app.

Likely heading out on Thursday from Tofino depending on if this Weather window holds up. 78A and will have inReach for coms as well.

Pippen they’re called “whale dolphin” But a pretty common pelagic dolphin. Always cool to see them out there.

Likely heading out on Thursday from Tofino depending on if this Weather window holds up. 78A and will have inReach for coms as well.

Pippen they’re called “whale dolphin” But a pretty common pelagic dolphin. Always cool to see them out there.
Yah we see tons of them at times...always got my buddy fired up...from a distance they looked like porpoising tuna with the lack of a dorsal, you know who i'm talking about Kelly...

Ah, my bad I read too fast on a small screen and missed the "dolphin" part of things as the "North Pacific Right Whale" caught my attention knowing how rare they are.

Any recent tuna reports from Winter Harbour ?

I talked with Oli yesterday. He said one boat out at 50miles did well and another boat at 35ish that got about a dozen. There were boats going today too I think so waiting to hear how they did....I'm hoping the warm water moves in a bit. I want to try and take my dad out and even though he is game I would like to not have to go 50-60 miles with him...probably a game time decision. Hoping for some good reports after the derby.

Planning my first ever tuna trip out of Bamfield around September 10th. Anyone planning on heading out around that time?

Went out for tuna for the first time with my good Friend who is a guide at Reel Obsession with two other boats
What a fantastic day a long one but pure chaos at times and lots of fun with great friends had 12ines out reels and hand lines 5 of us aboard the one boat and had 9 fish on a at one time what a feeding frenzy
Some how trolled 80 miles off shore from where we started at 35 but was well worth the 2.5hr run back to the lodge
Couldn't thank Adrian & Angie enough for the experience that we will never forget.

30 to our boat

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back