23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
It's not all that easy getting that shear trim to look good.I would suggest going slow,using tape to line it up first,add screws when your happy with how it looks.Stand back and have a good look to be sure there's no bumps (up or down) Once you have screws every 2 feet or so,drill all your other holes for screws adjusting as you go.Don't pick too small a drill bit for pilot hole or you'll break off the stainless screws (Their pretty soft).Once you have all your holes drilled,clean the hull/deck joint with acetone,pull the screws all out and caulk the underside of deck flange to the hull with Sikaflex (< important).Put the trim back on and put a bit of Sikaflex on each screw as you put them back in. You can put the Sikaflex on before you do your fitting , but I guarantee you'll get it everywhere.I like to mask off the trim/hull/deck and caulk with Sikaflex (a small bead) the top and bottom of trim when done.This isn't a job to rush,take your time and it will look great when done.

Not building a piano comes to mind,but can't hurt either.Makes it a 2 man job though.

Yep a 2 man job for sure :), not using bolts just ss supplied screws, works like a charm...!

IMG_0713.jpeg
IMG_0716.jpeg

Last edited:
These couch parts are in my basement. I thought it was teak, now I'm not sure. Yours for pickup if you get back to the Okanagan.

trim.jpg

Not building a piano comes to mind,but can't hurt either.Makes it a 2 man job though.
Pianos don’t pound offshore for 40+ years...
Boat looks really great nice work. Screws and rivets will not stand the test of time though. Been there, thrice now...

Last edited:
Rods power and marine in Port Alberni, was just posted yesterday
Same motor on my 26 hourston, cruise 30mph and tops out at 50 mph

Rods power and marine in Port Alberni, was just posted yesterday
Same motor on my 26 hourston, cruise 30mph and tops out at 50 mph
:eek:

Really, i would be happy to cruise at 20-25mph, any idea on what I could expect for fuel burn, approximately? I have roughly an 80gal fuel tank...

:eek:

Really, i would be happy to cruise at 20-25mph, any idea on what I could expect for fuel burn, approximately? I have roughly an 80gal fuel tank...
Our tanks are basically the same size. I've never bothered to figure out fuel burn, all I know is that for a big boat she sips fuel. I launch in port Alberni and run to bamfield, fish for 3 days running all over the sound and when I get back to port Alberni I usually have about a eighth of a tank left

Man, that is encouraging to me, thank you for the info. I think the Merc would look amazing on this nice clan white tub :)

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 8.13.05 PM.png

Not sure a 30” leg is what you need

If I notch the transom 30" is better than 25" , Ooops did I just bring that up again :( me bad!

I have the 30" all you do is mount your outboard bracket up higher, the deck on my bracket is very seldom under the water because of that, even with 3 or 4 guys standing in the very back

I could see that being a good thing :) do you have a picture or two that you could send me so I can get a visual?

We got a 350 verado on our 25.5 northwest welded aluminum crew bot. Myself and 600L fuel cruises around 30mph @12gal/hr. Loaded with 6 guys fuel and gear she’s around 15gal/hr @26mph. Decent numbers considering the ponies you’re squeezing out a small package. I run er around 4200rpm.

Back