Your preferred place to live on Van Isle for sport fishing?

I'd go Sooke or western communities of Victoria. As said before, weather and amenities are best on the island. I lived and fished near CR many years and would not trade that for south island. Jdf has great halibut fishing and easy and shallow salmon fishing. Not this deep sea crap and fighting wicked currents like further up the east coast. Restrictions are bad everywhere within your range, so no different.

Aquaholic, Thats a very hard question to answer without giving specifics like job requirements, family requirements, schools, retired, housing $ available, doctors (good luck there), etc, etc. I do know Qualicum Beach is terrible...hehee

If it’s for fishing, the Regs would favour anywhere on the West Coast of the Island. Everywhere else is up against “Creeping Closures”.

Don't think there is a bad place on the Island and as Trophy says it will depend on what you need, House prices are better up the Island. Thinking Airports , ferries, hospitals, might all play in your decision.

Thanks for the reply, with your personal experience it is very helpful. Definitely has affordable housing and lots of historic salmon runs. As mentioned, it will be a trailerable boat, so going to the WC and Hardy as examples will be doable. No health issues so I don't need to be by Royal Jubilee. (yet)
The health thing happens pretty fast

Aquaholic, Thats a very hard question to answer without giving specifics like job requirements, family requirements, schools, retired, housing $ available, doctors (good luck there), etc, etc. I do know Qualicum Beach is terrible...hehee
Thanks Trophy. I hope I was clear where I said the best sportfishing access would be the first priority. I do know the island well, and all the other attributes you mention, although very important, it was based on the best sport fishing town to live in between Sooke and Campbell River for an avid sport fisherman.

Watching this thread. I am also wanting to move back to the island getting really tired of the housing in Vancouver.... Will likely lean towards Victoria as that is where the jobs will be for me likely.

Get as far away from Victoria as you can. Traffic in Victoria is atrocious. So many entitled cyclists, skateboarders, e-bikes e-scooters and e-skateboards.

Imagine boating if there were a jetski for every boat and the boaters need a safe boating card, insurance and are subject to enforcement but the jetskis don't need a card, have no insurance and are not even subject to enforcement. It's pure anarchy on the streets now.

Plus crime is now 3x worse than it was in 2019.
https://www.cheknews.ca/facing-incr...onsiders-banning-downtown-campers-693879/amp/

Fishing is still decent but I want out of here so bad for every other aspect of life. I'm really not sure Sooke is far enough. Still inside the CRD.

Campbell River is pretty up there on my list too for good fishing for a refugee from Victoria.

I think that you would want to go up island a bit to get into some different fishing from what you have been doing here in Vancouver in the years you have been here. If requirement #1 is overwhelmingly the criteria, then I would say Campbell River. You are right on some good salmon fishing in town, but close enough to Nootka and Port Hardy that it is not too big a deal to tow the boat to those places if you want to fish for hali or other ground fish. Given the type of boat I know you are after, Nootka seems like the perfect destination trip for those times when you want to venture outside our new home base. Protected even on the windy days, but offshore fishing available on those days when the wind is calm. The only down side of CR is that its not near to major health facilities. If I had a choice number 2, it would be Nanaimo or somewhere close to it. Still good fishing right at home and if you want a special trip, haul the boat to Barkley Sound.

I think that you would want to go up island a bit to get into some different fishing from what you have been doing here in Vancouver in the years you have been here. If requirement #1 is overwhelmingly the criteria, then I would say Campbell River. You are right on some good salmon fishing in town, but close enough to Nootka and Port Hardy that it is not too big a deal to tow the boat to those places if you want to fish for hali or other ground fish. Given the type of boat I know you are after, Nootka seems like the perfect destination trip for those times when you want to venture outside our new home base. Protected even on the windy days, but offshore fishing available on those days when the wind is calm. The only down side of CR is that its not near to major health facilities. If I had a choice number 2, it would be Nanaimo or somewhere close to it. Still good fishing right at home and if you want a special trip, haul the boat to Barkley Sound.
Campbell River has a great hospital

WTH Contrary to what many others have said, Campbell River is NOT the place you want to be. There are no fish, nothing here, anywhere else listed would be much better. Just moved here, retired and its "horrible". Haha OMG awesome, I LOVE IT. Don't want it to be Vic in 10 years, so please pick elsewhere.

HM

I would say Parksville/ Qualicum and surrounding area has the best options for fishing. French creek is as easy as it gets, launch and fish right in front, sangster, lasquieti texada all pretty close runs and the Chinook seem consistent through spring and summer. Port Alberni, Nanaimo and Courtenay comox are all within an hours drive. Based on fishing this is the best all around location, easiest access to both inside waters or the west coast. I moved here in 2018 and I’m very happy with the location, I was in port previously with mind set to move there but wasn’t the right place. Real estate wise, south Nanaimo has nice properties and Campbell River has good value.

WTH Contrary to what many others have said, Campbell River is NOT the place you want to be. There are no fish, nothing here, anywhere else listed would be much better. Just moved here, retired and its "horrible". Haha OMG awesome, I LOVE IT. Don't want it to be Vic in 10 years, so please pick elsewhere.

HM

aah. so you’re the new DE 185 in own. missed that. welcome to town!

Back