Your preferred place to live on Van Isle for sport fishing?

Aquaholic

Crew Member
I was born and raised on Vancouver Island so I know it well, on the mainland for a long time now. I am considering my next move, most likely back to the island.

The boundaries are between Sooke and Campbell River. (sorry Port Alberni, although I was born there) Nothing either side of these two points, please.

The boat is to be determined but will be trailerable. (8'6" wide max)

The town should have all required amenities, not too small unless its right by a larger town. (Saltair by Ladysmith as an example, but best sport fishing still applies)

If you were to move back to the island or to relocate on the island, which town do you think has the best local sport fishing for salmon, crab, shrimp and rockfish/groundfish? Either an easy and quick boat ride to the grounds or a short trailer pull to launch at a great spot.

Where do you think the best everyday sport fishing access is from? Sport fishing the #1 reason, quality of life/amenities the #2 reason.

vancouver-island venturi.gif

Campbell River . It's got lots of spots close and it's a shorter haul to Hardy and Nootka. Which I'm sure will be on the agenda ! The further away from population , the better . Lol. Plus CR is getting pretty snazzy now....

South Nanaimo area. (Cedar, Lady smith, Saltair) Central to South and North both accessible by boat trailer plus local fisheries. I just recently did the move, and glad I did.

Especially with fishing restrictions in future. Offers the best flexibility out of most areas.

We looked at Sooke initially, but chose here instead.

Metchosin
not sure if you consider that out of bounds though. Close to all amenities (closer in a few years when Royal Bay is done), 2 launches right there,not far from the rest in vic,
everything you wanted to fish for out there year round except prawns which is short drive to launch in the inlet. Great rural location to live.

South Nanaimo area. (Cedar, Lady smith, Saltair) Central to South and North both accessible by boat trailer plus local fisheries. I just recently did the move, and glad I did.

Especially with fishing restrictions in future. Offers the best flexibility out of most areas.

We looked at Sooke initially, but chose here instead.

Family in Chemainus and Campbell River so its interesting they are both coming up.

Nanaimo, center of all your parameters, easy to get to Alberni/Bamfield, French Creek, 1hr extra drive compared to comox valley,to hit anything north/west of CR

I've been happy with the move to nanaimo last yr (work related) from Courtenay after growing up there since 76'

Campbell River. Being close to Nootka as well as local fishing would be great. Easy to get to Nanaimo and lower mainland. I grew up in Victoria but too many people, too expensive and DFO regulations there make it less desirable.

I’d go mid island. Somewhere between Courtenay and Ladysmith. You’re nice and central to ECVI fishing spots as well as the west coast, should you choose to go back to Alberni to fish. ;-)
I’m born and raised there too but don’t live there. Hehe

Another vote for Campbell River... I used to come out here for fishing when I lived and worked in Alberta all through the 70’s... Somehow I got lucky and my job moved me out here in the early 80’s. I have been fully retired now for several years and have no desire to leave.. Excellent 12 month per year salmon fishing, good prawning and crabbing, and trout fishing... Very close and convenient to other locales such as Nootka.. Some nice relatively affordable housing sub-divisions.. A brand new hospital with all the amenities, as well as very capable and talented health care professionals. A lot of people are moving here from other parts of the country for good reasons.. Good luck with your decision making process..

Last edited:
Another vote for Campbell River... I used to come out here for fishing when I lived in Alberta all through the 70’s... Somehow I got lucky and my job moved me out here in the early 80’s. I have been fully retired now for several years and have no desire to leave.. Excellent 12 month per year salmon fishing, prawning, crabbing, and trout fishing... Very close and convenient to other locales such as Nootka.. Some nice relatively affordable housing sub-divisions.. A lot of people are moving here from other parts of the country for good reasons.. Good luck with your decision making process..
Thanks for the reply, with your personal experience it is very helpful. Definitely has affordable housing and lots of historic salmon runs. As mentioned, it will be a trailerable boat, so going to the WC and Hardy as examples will be doable. No health issues so I don't need to be by Royal Jubilee. (yet)

Love Metchosin but it’s an expensive area so go next door in Colwood or Langford where there’s more options for housing and more affordable. Leave that snow shovel behind as this puts you in year round fishing in decent weather. The last few years Sooke fishing has been as good as the upper west coast or better and with 4 launch points within 30 mins. Esq, Pedder,Cheanuh, Sooke. Then an hour & half is Renfrew. This area also allows you to get to Sidney in an hr with all its beauty of gulf islandS fishing and family cruzing, or all that is up Island with Port Hardy. 5 hr drive.Again less rain, min snow, plenty of amenities like big box stores yet surprisingly removed from the big city. I’ve actually had more sunny calm winter days of fishing, crabing, prawning & Hali than this summer of windy, foggy and white cap adventures. My Main choice for this location is still mostly weather, walk your dog all yr Every day ;-)
Bonus! you can take me fishing

Back