2020 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chased the blue water south but couldn’t quite get there without crossing the border. No tuna for me. Trolled Barkley to nitnat. Big pod of white sided dolphins and Dall’s porpoise and great bioluminescence was the consolation prize. Oh, and a coho at 7 knots on a cedar plug.
One year we could have filled the boat with coho fishing tuna...

One year we could have filled the boat with coho fishing tuna...
Yes - I had a year like that about 5 or 6 years ago. Problem was, they were all large wild coho. They loved clones dragged behind my splash baits and apparently didn't know they were not supposed to be in 64F water.

Yes - I had a year like that about 5 or 6 years ago. Problem was, they were all large wild coho. They loved clones dragged behind my splash baits and apparently didn't know they were not supposed to be in 64F water.
Yah that was about the same year I think. Nuts how big the schools were

Heard a report of 26 tuna 10 miles off WH yesterday, just waiting to hear confirmation. Terrifin is looking really good.
Also interested ^. Terrafin looks good. Will be up 28th-5th with a few boats. I will be in my 20' podded Hourston. Called Qualicum rivers today sounds like $25 cash for 130quarts of ice is the deal. I would not be surprised if tuna were being caught 10-20 miles of WH right now. I will be on CH 72 when up there, my number is 778 928 7269 feel free to shoot me a text of call will be happy to share reports of how we are doing.

Also interested ^. Terrafin looks good. Will be up 28th-5th with a few boats. I will be in my 20' podded Hourston. Called Qualicum rivers today sounds like $25 cash for 130quarts of ice is the deal. I would not be surprised if tuna were being caught 10-20 miles of WH right now. I will be on CH 72 when up there, my number is 778 928 7269 feel free to shoot me a text of call will be happy to share reports of how we are doing.
Nice work Myles, good luck out there! Love to here your reports! We will be in WH before noon on the third! Where are you staying?

Nice work Myles, good luck out there! Love to hear your reports! We will be in WH before noon on the third! Where are you staying?
We are staying at Smilies Floating Cabin (Olis), it's best that we are isolated to avoid noise complaints :) feel free to stop by we should be around on the 3rd unless fishing has been very productive. It's all about the weather, especially in my smaller tub. Are you guys doing the derby? I booked before it was announced, next year it will be fun to join in.

I'm still hoping to get a chance for a Tuna run this year. I just received the last of my Tuna collection....for now! lol I need to rig the Splash Boats and was wondering what the 2 holes on the top of them are for? I see the holes at each end for rigging but curious about the top ones since they don't go to the other side. I've never set these up before so looking for a few pointers.....thanks!

Attachments

• Stuff.jpg
    Stuff.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 183
  • Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 174
I’ll try to get a pic, but I rigged mine with a loop of cord through the two front holes and a loop through the two back holes. The two middle holes shown on yours (which are on the bottom I believe, not the top) in the pic are a mystery to me, maybe to attach lead for more splash? I’ve seen them with 200lb test mono crimped to form loops also. You can also drill them out to receive larger cord or mono. There is also a trick with cord and a washer to keep the knot from backing into the whole but I can’t explain that without much hand waving.

Last edited:
We are staying at Smilies Floating Cabin (Olis), it's best that we are isolated to avoid noise complaints :) feel free to stop by we should be around on the 3rd unless fishing has been very productive. It's all about the weather, especially in my smaller tub. Are you guys doing the derby? I booked before it was announced, next year it will be fun to join in.
Sounds good Myles, are you in the single floater? Or the double? Yes we are registered for the shootout, just getting there a day late. Let’s prey for weather and warm water. See you there.

Here’s a pic

I don't think they will work right rigged like that. Should be one continuous line, in the front, out the top (flat side), in the top back hole and then out the back on the bottom. You want the tow force from the boat to be on the front face.

Sounds good Myles, are you in the single floater? Or the double? Yes we are registered for the shootout, just getting there a day late. Let’s prey for weather and warm water. See you there.
Good luck on the Tuna Shootout. I'm sure the weather will be half decent. Last year I was in WH those days and we had a few absolutely bluebird days so it's very possible. hard to concentrate at work right now. Tuna on the brain.
Has anyone been out off WH the water looks good to me.

Pic of our cabin below:

upload_2020-8-21_9-47-3.png

Attachments

• Winter-Harbour-Cabin-4.jpg
    Winter-Harbour-Cabin-4.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 113
I don't think they will work right rigged like that. Should be one continuous line, in the front, out the top (flat side), in the top back hole and then out the back on the bottom. You want the tow force from the boat to be on the front face.

They pull off to the side but maybe not as much as they could. I’d have to compare the angle.

More similar to your way would be to insert BOTH ends of a loop of cord through the front face and out the top, slide the ends through a washer and tie the cord ends together in a knot. The washer prevents the knot from pulling through the hole.

Attachments

• F2C9B0F9-C05A-4E67-AA2A-62A077AC09A7.jpeg
    F2C9B0F9-C05A-4E67-AA2A-62A077AC09A7.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 101
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back