Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I am glad we did not see Profisher’s late report above, for yesterday, before we went out today. I might have got excited!! LOL :)

Flat calm day so we were able to run to Muir again. Quite a bit of early fog there though the rain held off. Fished from 7:00am until 1:30pm, right through the tide change, and absolutely nothing, except liddle undersized guys. So big contrast to Sunday and therefore no boring pics of me with teener fish today!!;)

Everyone we spoke to was fishless and we only saw one fish caught. Trolled back around Otter at noon and only about 6 or 7 boats there and no one was catching anything.

So the contrast between Profisher's report and this one is stark, thus proving once again the Sooke fishing gods are always at the right place, on the right day and time and consequently catch a huge amount.:cool:

P.S. we tried to go out Tuesday as well. However, BWD was completely wrong about the wind and we smashed through a huge lumpy swell in the harbour mouth going out, taking one over the bow and sought shelter in the Trap area. However, the NW wind got stronger and stronger making it unpleasant, so we called it at 8:00am. I noticed no decent posts for Tuesday, but if anyone did catch that day, hats off to you as it was like fishing in a November gale in August!!

Last edited:
Roland I'm sure there have been slow days as a result of the resident whales passing through during the night. I know there was a quiet day a week or s ago and heard that all 3 local pods went by Renfrew that morning heading out of the straights. Fish have also been close to the bottom in shallower water...another sign that something pushed them down and they tend to stay there.

Ok im going to go a bit of a rant here so im gonna apologize now. Apparently some do not know the rules of water etiquette... old rule is right rod to shore ESPECIALLY on a hard flood tide give way to upcoming boats pass out in deeper water and then join the pack ill use otter as example
From otter to 3rd rock on a said hard flood takes about 45 mins from 3rd to the point maybe 10 . When you try and do the inside tact both ways it ***** things up..so do the pattern up on the inside down on the out in a counterclockwise rotation... if you do it makes fishing easy... please and thanks

Out front yesterday and expected it to be cold and wet with the predicted rain but until we left at 2:00 it was flat and dry and we only had the radar and running lights on for a short time when the fog came in for a while. We took home a mid 70's teener that hooked up on a Skinny G spoon with some nice long runs for a fish that size.
A slow tug came from the west towing a log boom on a short tow line through the gap at Secretary and scattering the sport boats and some Orca came past the Bluffs heading east with a couple of whale boats and a possible monitoring boat in close on them.

Last edited:
Roy there is the reason you aren't seeing me much up at Muir. Everyone fishing the same depth contour...most come back east on the proper side but don't go out far enough and squeeze the west facing boats down into the shallows. You can't stay on a depth going west...always being pushed off your depth. If most of the boats are fishing the 70ft depth going west the boats coming east should be in 100ft plus to stay out of the way.

Roy there is the reason you aren't seeing me much up at Muir. Everyone fishing the same depth contour...most come back east on the proper side but don't go out far enough and squeeze the west facing boats down into the shallows. You can't stay on a depth going west...always being pushed off your depth. If most of the boats are fishing the 70ft depth going west the boats coming east should be in 100ft plus to stay out of the way.

OH I KNOW !!!!!!!!!!!

Otter yesterday was the worst I ever saw in my life it was horrid couple of guys really screw things up its really not hard and when the flow goes as you know Rollie it works great been fishing near you for almost 30 years and , **** happens now and then when weeds and fish are on but we know that , its so much easier when we work together out there,, then we dont need to say HEY RIGHT ROD TO SHORE.... trust me the guides all 10 of us and a few others are getting pissed dont be surprised if WE dont move and your lines gonna get snapped off we are tired and getting cranky...
just a warning....take as you wish...

Lol been like that as long as I can remember, one of the reasons I shy away a from there last couple years. Love the area, can be great fishing but a gong show on the weekends. The fisherman should get together and put up big signs at the boat launches with drawings and written directions on how it should be done.

Solo trip out front in Pedder Bay this morning. Landed my only bite of the morning at 9am. 79cm and just over 16lbs according to my little digital non calibrated scale. Spoon with 70ft on the DR in 90ft of water. Saw a couple of nets out but it was slow.

Lol been like that as long as I can remember, one of the reasons I shy away a from there last couple years. Love the area, can be great fishing but a gong show on the weekends. The fisherman should get together and put up big signs at the boat launches with drawings and written directions on how it should be done.

It wouldn't hurt. Most people just don't know better, some people are dicks and can't be fixed either way. However, you let the reasonable guys know and you can save a lot of pain and maybe fish (less cutoffs, less rushing fish etc)

Wow was it foggy this morning. Scooby Doo Fog!! Worst fog I have ever been in. Flat clam and peaceful. Bam!! 28 lber in the meat hole, release beautiful fish. Bam! Screamer on another beautiful fish 18 lbers, 80 cm bang on. Measured like 9 times lol. Bam! huge hit on, massive head shakes, ran, gone. Grrr. Got 1 at Beechy Head and 2 in trap. Good snap early morning. Then went quiet.

OH I KNOW !!!!!!!!!!!

Otter yesterday was the worst I ever saw in my life it was horrid couple of guys really screw things up its really not hard and when the flow goes as you know Rollie it works great been fishing near you for almost 30 years and , **** happens now and then when weeds and fish are on but we know that , its so much easier when we work together out there,, then we dont need to say HEY RIGHT ROD TO SHORE.... trust me the guides all 10 of us and a few others are getting pissed dont be surprised if WE dont move and your lines gonna get snapped off we are tired and getting cranky...
just a warning....take as you wish...
The ruling sounds simple but I wonder how that could actually work at Otter. As you know this spot can hold fish anywhere from 30' to 160'. For that reason I like to figure out where they are. So I might start going west at 40'. Coming back east on the 60'. Then to west on the 80' and back on the 100' as an example. So I might do just what you recommended with right rod to shore but would still get in trouble with you when our circles overlap. Maybe we would need a rule like going west at 90' or less and going east at 100' or more.
My next question is what the right thing to do is when you have a fish on. It is rare but unfortunately it happened to me that guys ran over my line while I was playing the fish.

My next question is what the right thing to do is when you have a fish on. It is rare but unfortunately it happened to me that guys ran over my line while I was playing the fish.
If there's lots of boats try to stay on your fish and take it offshore away from boats to land, out of everyone's way and safe from the Kelp bed

Its very simple guys. The boats going west have right of way. When you go east you can really go where you want so long as you don't force the boats going west off their line. Preferably you go to the outside...look ahead and make sure you get outside quickly enough to stay out off everyone's way. On days with more room and if me, Roy or anyone else is on the 70 ft contour or any contour heading west and you want to go down the inside on the 50 ft that is ok...but if I'm forced out to the 80 ft line to clear you...you are screwing with our turn fishing the depth we set up to fish when we made out turn back into line. The worst is when at Otter on the hard flood someone heading east is outside of you and crosses over to the inside. I know the downriggers closest to each other are going to hook up with each other. The flood and the last minute turn will push the lines out towards the boat going west. If I see it as a bonehead move (not necessary) I'll leave my gear down, pull the boom in so it doesn't get bent and keep going...usually get the gear and not the wire and it is over quick. If it was an honest mistake or something was going on that caused it I'll bring the rigger up close to the surface to clear. Another thing...boats at Otter in the hard flood close to the point have to crab along pointing out pretty much dead on a line towards Sheringham to keep a line so the curent doesn't keep pulling them in closer to shore....the bow pointing out doesn't signal to you that you can go down the inside.....it means you better start your move to the outside sooner than later because the distance between us is going to close quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back