2020 Port Renfrew Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished Friday evening no luck. Saturday got 5 hours in, quick limit of hatch coho no springs. We had the whole pack of southern whales pass by. Can only blame them for my off day.

Tough, bad luck day for us on Sunday. Had a couple low 20s spit the hooks right at the boat and missed a handful of other bites that missed the hooks. The most frustrating part of the day was having someone drive over a really good fish and snap it off. Thanks to the boats that were courteous and gave space as I was chasing it down, but some people are just clueless out there!! I see why people avoid the weekend.

Better day today. My brother fought a beauty that looked low 20’s right to the boat but it broke him off before we could net it. Three other bites but none stuck.

Last edited:
Fished solo 5:30-9:30 at east point. Lost a beauty early as I was trying to steer the boat out of the pack while playing the fish. Had a second chance around 8 when I had a bit more room to manoeuvre. Landed an 18.

first fish was on a peetz spoon, second on bait. Both about 35’ on the riggers

Fished Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Common refrain was that the fishing was “hit and miss”, in other words inconsistent. Pretty slow overall. We did comparatively well on Thursday, landing an 18 and two 20’s, and losing another nice fish. Two whites and a red.

Friday we had one big one on, but lost it.

Saturday we caught one 25 pounder (red), but that was it.

Not happening for sure on Sept long weekend and still up in the air for end of September but they figure, although not officially confirmed, it’s done

Got out to Renfrew for the first time in awhile early yesterday for salmon. No quick luck on the dawn bite at East point so headed to Camper and joined the fleet. Lost one teenager early at the boat with what I can only assume was the leader cut by the teeth of the fish. (40lb cleanly severed right at the teaser head). Then lost a second the old fashion way when it spit the hook. Finally boated a small one on a Herring Aid Skinny G. Just shakers and wild coho after that. A humpback cruised right through the flotilla surfacing several times which was pretty cool in the fog and which finally convinced my granddaughter that it was worth getting up at 3;30. :)

Got back from Renfrew yesterday after a weeks fishing. It started out last Sunday fairly good. We ended up with two springs and a hatch coho. White cuddlefish and grn/silver coho killer did better than anchovy. The next day we took advantage of the good seas and went to the bank. There were about 6 other boats there. We caught one spring, and endless coho. Kept three hatch coho and could have kept more. The wilds were getting to a good size (10#+). Quite the humpback show as well. Tried some hali on the way back, no love.

The rest of the week it started to slow down. The we picked up the odd one here and there with anchovy doing better. The guides were not heading to the bank and were staying close to camper or East Point. Not a lot of seen being caught. On Wednesday night it rained, on Thursday it poured and when you thought it couldn't rain any harder on Friday, it did. The creeks were raging and the normal trickle of the waterfall between Logan and Walbran was spectacular. The water was an ugly reddish brown colour. You couldn't see the canon ball 3' in the water. Still its good to be able to get out and enjoy fishing and the spectacle of our west coast.

Got back from Renfrew yesterday after a weeks fishing. It started out last Sunday fairly good. We ended up with two springs and a hatch coho. White cuddlefish and grn/silver coho killer did better than anchovy. The next day we took advantage of the good seas and went to the bank. There were about 6 other boats there. We caught one spring, and endless coho. Kept three hatch coho and could have kept more. The wilds were getting to a good size (10#+). Quite the humpback show as well. Tried some hali on the way back, no love.

The rest of the week it started to slow down. The we picked up the odd one here and there with anchovy doing better. The guides were not heading to the bank and were staying close to camper or East Point. Not a lot of seen being caught. On Wednesday night it rained, on Thursday it poured and when you thought it couldn't rain any harder on Friday, it did. The creeks were raging and the normal trickle of the waterfall between Logan and Walbran was spectacular. The water was an ugly reddish brown colour. You couldn't see the canon ball 3' in the water. Still its good to be able to get out and enjoy fishing and the spectacle of our west coast.
Thanks for the report Ned.

Well Renfrew was no good yesterday. Headed up for the 1st time this year. There was so many boats and hardly any fish caught. Cut pluggers were killing it. Sooke is way better right now. 3 out 10 scale wise. Was 2 for 5. Kept 14 lbs red hatchery spring, 65 ft east point. Release one about 8 lbs 55 ft east point. Then moved to camper. Boring. Nothing all day back and forth back and forth. Fished 10 hrs. As I headed back just before rock pile bam! 20-24 lber, got it in the net and it jump out, went crazy by the boat. Screams under Neath, then back, wrap around Downrigger, get it off, play gone! Grr. Also did a stizzla! Lost two cannon ball setups one at east point and one at woods nose!! Grr. That pissed me off. 1st one lost in about 2.5 years. I guess I can use my reserve now. My sounder had those marked but for some reason we're gone. Can home could hardly wait to get back to Sooke.

Does anyone know how smelting is?
Or is the beach even open? My dad likes going up after labor day weekend after the crowds have gone. We usually do well.
Thanks

Two weeks ago it was great. But the FN band members are checking very frequently for trespassers. So be sure to go to the north office to pay for day use fee.

Thanks for the update. Went up last year second weekend of September and first time ever had three coho in the net over the afternoon. Never seen that before in the past.

Coho fishing from the south end of the beach opens tomorrow, correct? The regs are somewhat confusing.. looks like there is a gear restriction, only single-pointed barbless hook that measures no more than 15 mm between the point and shank.

If you pay the bands day use fee, it’s okay to fish on the beach?

thanks, kalen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back