Status
Not open for further replies.
And Ive been putting in the hatchery heads and please everyone do the same Also they are holding the derby this year on Sept 5th which supports the net pen project if you fish in sooke its now time to put back to help all the guys who have worked very hard to bring more fish back to sooke.. heck you might be able to beat the Englishman , as hes getting it dialed in now!!!!!!

Beautiful day, so we headed down to Muir again today. As folks on here have mentioned, the fishing off Sooke is remarkable right now. And once again Muir was good to us. In fact it was too good (I’m joking! ;)) as we were all done by 7:45am and back at the dock at 8:30am.:cool:

The details are, lines in the water by 6:30am, and a couple of tapping bites immediately which both turned into little undersized guys. Third bite at 7:15am was a real pounder and the fish fought hard and deep and came up slowly. As I got him to the surface next to the boat my wife put the net in the water and he gave a big tail thrash and jumped clean into the net. My wife managed to hold on and we boated a beautiful very fat, 79cm fish that scaled at 18lb! :D At 7:45am down the other end of Muir we saw the Spencer guide boat hook one and as we went past, just as we were thinking of turning, the same rod as before went off again. This one turned into a nice fish that a sounded a vertical dive just back of the boat but was eventually conventionally netted for 67cm and 13lb.

Same little herrings in same t.h. as Friday, fished at 66’ in 85-90’ of water, did the trick. When we got back to sunny shores the tide was at rock bottom so we had muffin and coffee in the hot sun once more, while we waited an hour for the enough water for take out!! :confused:

twochinook18.jpg

Last edited:
Another Incredible day at Otter. 4 for 9. Boated 18 lber and 8 lb Hatchery coho. Released another 18-20lber and one over 20 lbs. The fish I lost 1 other coho at boat, and a few hard hits and running like freight trains then gone. I started at 5:25am lines in water, done by 6am, but fished till 9am till I was exhausted.

Last edited:
And Ive been putting in the hatchery heads and please everyone do the same Also they are holding the derby this year on Sept 5th which supports the net pen project if you fish in sooke its now time to put back to help all the guys who have worked very hard to bring more fish back to sooke.. heck you might be able to beat the Englishman , as hes getting it dialed in now!!!!!!

Hi Wolf,

Where can we get tickets for the enhancement derby? Is there a website?

Thanks

I’m so pissed off right now. I would love to come down for the tourney and break the new boat in on a Salmon derby in Sooke waters, be a real treat for me. But alas my work schedule has changed and I am to work that week. Supposed to be on a 2 week on 2 week off schedule and it would have worked out perfect but it changed just the other day. Man I would have loved to hit that tourney, well worth the drive and for a good cause.

Tickets being sold at anglerscoalition.com

Just to add I think many of the under 80cm springs available this year are 3 year old fish from the 500,000 we released 3 years ago and that should mean a good return of 4 year fish next summer. Glen. Varney and his helpers have done an awesome job every year at keeping survival rates extremely high.

Any tips you could share cby? Colors, rigger depth, contour depth? Sounds like you have it dialed!

Wishing I was in sooke this last week!

Had a bit later start with my younger son today. We started just before 8 at Otter. Joined the combat fishing and quickly got a keeper spring around 10#. Next tack produced a great fighting Over for my son who, as usually beat me to the rod! Left the crowds and headed for Muir which was slightly less busy but lousily lumpy. Anyway, we fought 3 more Overs and kept another 8-9# spring. A couple more shakers and we then ran out of anchovies. All fish on bait at 48', only shakers on metal and plastic. Just the opposite from last time. Saw lots of action on the other boats. Took a pic of the Big Nice Wolf in action but its on my camera. When I get to download it, I will post it. Great Chinook fishing right now!
If those are net pen fish, shouldn't there be a good number of clipped ones with the large clip ratio they had? I looked at all springs today and None was clipped. Strange.

5.JPG

Last edited:
Fished all weekend in the Mike Chipps memorial derby. 3 top fish were over 20lb which is real impressive for a slot fish.

Saturday out west put the first rod down and must have dropped it right on a fish. Roughly 30 seconds and we were on. Released that one that was around 20lb. Bite was on all morning till about 10am. Then turned off. We kept a 13lber then released a few fish keeping a tag open for a derby fish. Released a couple coho and kept one fat hatchery. 6.5lb. Water was calm to start then real sloppy and turbulent. It was a bit of combat fishing with lots boats tacking amongst each other and lots of hook ups. I learned to give extra space to a certain charter boat out there after passing him with tons of space between us and losing a cannonball and everything with it to his downrigger. Could not figure how that happened. But could see later the pancake style weights he was using and angle to dangle. Looks like those things were planing way out.

Sunday. Gear down same time same place. 10 min in and we had a double header. It was fish after fish from 7-11:00 when we left to weigh in a 14.7lbee for my son. Unbelievable fishing. That won him second for kids and $200! He was nice enough to flip me $50 back for his ticket. Lol.

Imagine using a digital scale for a derby. 1st day I weighed in a fish that was the exact same weight as the guy before me and another guy weighed in the same weight fish after me. Down to the exact ounce. Second day I weighed in an 80cm fish that weighed 14lbs and I said no way. Pulled it off zero it and it weighed 18.5lbs.
It was a scale based lottery pretty much.

Other than that it was a great weekend and some great fishing. Limited both days with some decent fish. Awesome conditions early morning. Lots of boats lots of people catching.

Tried the evening bite out of Sooke tonight fished Secretary to the Trap with only one undersize to show for our efforts. My instinct was to head for Otter point, but at the last minute I changed my mind, perhaps I should have stuck with my gut. Were the fish up at Otter? I saw no nets out where I was. There were maybe 15 or 20 boats.

Fished 8 hrs at Otter yesterday and had a good day with springs up to 25 pounds. Pounded the 3rd rock area hard most of the morning in thick fog. Hit 3-4 there including the 25 which was crazy surface runner doing circles at tight quarters around the boat giving us fits. Lost an entire setup as it tangled with another rod and cut it off. Bull kelp crept into the area so decided to take a break and check out the east side of Otter and hoped the fog wasn’t as thick. Turned out to be a good move as we hit 4 more springs quickly including a double. Fog wasn’t as thick there and no weed. Once the tide started to flood we put on some spoons and looked for coho in the rip,,, no luck

Last edited:
Thank you Wolf, hope you can spark some interest in turning hatchery heads in. Clipping hatchery reared chinook 100% will only happen with this support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back