2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The camera has lots of boats coming and going from the Esquimalt Anglers Ramp. Saw a number of people cleaning something. Let's hear some reports.

Out today at about 12:30, after doing some trailer repair. I thought I missed the bite, but on the first pass on the breakwater, I had a hit that didn’t stick. Stayed on the water front for several hours with no action. Started to head back to Esquilmalt and just on the other side of the green cam, I had another tap, but that’s all it was, stole my bait. 5 1/2 hours fishing and all I gat were a couple of taps.

1 keeper in the trap.

Fished off Oak Bay past the shipping lanes Saturday morning . Right away got a big bend on the rod, turned out to be a large skate . Released that then the other rod Bent over, little more fight in it and it was a large Hali. Unfortunately it Was well over the size limit and was closer to 150 cm which charts out to 70-80 lbs. :( She was lip hooked and was easy release at side of boat . The rest of day was steady supply of dog fish, at least two dozen . Just a beautiful day on the water, calm and sunny .

Attachments

• 3F5773E7-5912-4D90-BD63-CEC5078C3656.jpeg
    3F5773E7-5912-4D90-BD63-CEC5078C3656.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 151
  • EB4282A5-E53A-4DD1-9124-A49A95B05876.jpeg
    EB4282A5-E53A-4DD1-9124-A49A95B05876.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 148
  • A74854C9-838E-413E-9D56-2E67D5567397.jpeg
    A74854C9-838E-413E-9D56-2E67D5567397.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 159
Quite a sad difference between the Victoria reports and Sooke Reports.
Sure makes me believe the sooke net pen project is working! 4 years ago, 250’000 fish were released. The next year was more if I recall correctly. It would be awesome to have the same thing in the inner harbour.

Sure makes me believe the sooke net pen project is working! 4 years ago, 250’000 fish were released. The next year was more if I recall correctly. It would be awesome to have the same thing in the inner harbour.
Most of the sooke fish have been from the American hatcheries just like the ones we were getting in OB in may and June

We did have the net pen sponsored by the Esquimalt Anglers for many years which gave us great August fishing right off the Breakwater but DFO in their wisdom of suggesting the Nitinat Lake smolts (same as the ones in Sooke) might effect the gene pool of the Cowichan River Chinook. I feel it's more crap from DFO!!

Out at constance today 12 to 4 and not much they were there but tiny shakers is all i found. The damn current was buts fighting to keep to any good tac line. Line almost straight off the back parallel with the water if i wasnt with the current. Best bite came at the switch after that just a nice breeze and beauty water.

Out at constance today 12 to 4 and not much they were there but tiny shakers is all i found. The damn current was buts fighting to keep to any good tac line. Line almost straight off the back parallel with the water if i wasnt with the current. Best bite came at the switch after that just a nice breeze and beauty water.
Finally we landed a 79 cm spring at the water front, one more big hit after that all on bait
Beautiful day out there

Trolled the flats this morning from 6-10 am. We picked up one around 8 lbs and had no other bites. We saw 1 other fish caught. SLOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back