Going deep for dungies

interesting question used jolly rogers prawn traps in 250 ft 0f water brought up Dungeness crab in places where not to have crab

Caught 5 dungenous females on one piece of salmon belly while Hali fishing off Pedder bay In 250. Commercial guys have mentioned the crabs going deep.... I haven’t tried. We put quite a strain on our puller at 125 in a current with a commercial trap. I have a picture but can’t figure out how to upload easily in this site with an iphone

Anyone ever go deep for Dungeness crab? 200 to 300 feet with any success? Muddy bottoms?

You bet. It's great crabbing. That's when I get my tanner crabs

ok.....got my interest, is a tanner crab a snow crab, and where can i find them......as in what bottom type area do i look for? i have never caught or tried for them. and do regular box traps work or do i need something else?

You catch them on muddy bottoms over 200'. Muddy bowl is the best place to try. You typically get mixed species. Nice size Dungeness & some tanners

The attached pic shows the trap to use. They sell them at PNT. They are light and easy to work with. The brutus pulls it with no problems

Attachments

• IMG_1716.jpg
    IMG_1716.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 343
You catch them on muddy bottoms over 200'. Muddy bowl is the best place to try. You typically get mixed species. Nice size Dungeness & some tanners

The attached pic shows the trap to use. They sell them at PNT. They are light and easy to work with. The brutus pulls it with no problems
How far south can you find them?

In the Sooke area the deepest we go is 70 feet and do very well to the point we only fish one trap now so no need to go deep. I am curious about the Tanner crabs. Are they small enough to fit in the gates of a standard commercial type Dungi trap like ours if we fish it deep. Anyone catch the Tanners off Sooke or Victoria?

In the Sooke area the deepest we go is 70 feet and do very well to the point we only fish one trap now so no need to go deep. I am curious about the Tanner crabs. Are they small enough to fit in the gates of a standard commercial type Dungi trap like ours if we fish it deep. Anyone catch the Tanners off Sooke or Victoria?
I know guys that have picked smaller ones up in their prawn traps. I think the bigger opening will allow the big ones in though. I know of a buddy that has gotten decent tanners in his regular crab traps when fishing deep in the gulf islands

This is the biggest for myself this year. Most were similar sized. I have some out for tomorrow's supper. Having them with Ribeye steaks. IMG_1718.jpg

This is the biggest for myself this year. Most were similar sized. I have some out for tomorrow's supper. Having them with Ribeye steaks. View attachment 55811
Nice shirt! Guess your boat doesn't run on fairy dust and rocking horse poop like some other guys here?

Back