Meet Motley

Too close to the batteries? As in fire hazard?

Yes sir, there's a regulation that my memory isn't 100% clear on about having them bilge mounted on outboards. I can't remember if it was all spin on filters like that or only the ones with a clear sight glass on the bottom.

Yes sir, there's a regulation that my memory isn't 100% clear on about having them bilge mounted on outboards. I can't remember if it was all spin on filters like that or only the ones with a clear sight glass on the bottom.
I’m curious to hear this regulation if anyone knows it. My filter is directly above my battery switch. In hindsight, probably the worst way to have it set up but I have minimal real estate to mount these things. I don’t have the clear inspection bowl on my filter

Clear inspection bowls are not approved for inboard applications.

"ABYC July 2009
E10 10.7.5 Batteries shall not be installed directly above or below a fuel tank, fuel filter, or fitting in a fuel line without an intervening sole, floor or deck."

"8.6.1.5 Every metallic fuel line and fuel system component located within 305 mm (12 in ) above the level of the top of an installed battery shall be shielded with dielectric material."

Clear inspection bowls are not approved for inboard applications.

"ABYC July 2009
E10 10.7.5 Batteries shall not be installed directly above or below a fuel tank, fuel filter, or fitting in a fuel line without an intervening sole, floor or deck."

"8.6.1.5 Every metallic fuel line and fuel system component located within 305 mm (12 in ) above the level of the top of an installed battery shall be shielded with dielectric material."

Thanks, that first one is the one I half had in my brain.

No worries on missing the first time out, sounds like you used the time well to continue to clean and sort things out.

Just means you now have a higher % of blood on the decks for the first rip!!

Take II

Weather is a little better today and I decided I had a couple of hours to spare so let’s get it wet. Launch went well, started right up, purrs like a kitten, pisses like a racehorse. Most importantly it floats!

Backed out, spun around and headed towards the powder wharf which is only about 12-15 minutes away.

half way there the RPM’s dropped a bit and I thought maybe I accidentally backed off the throttle. Gave it a little more and it picked up again. Then it dropped RPM’s a little more. And I knew I didn’t back off on it so I slowed down and was idling when it shut itself off. Restarted it and it stalled again.

FML II

Kicker fired right up and I cruised back to the launch in about 25 minutes. Met a nice @Strait shooter there.

loaded up on the trailer and back to Forsch Marine. Chris is going to check it out next Friday. He thinks it’s possibly one of the fuel pumps in the main motor.

Here it is running literally seconds before it went downhill and a couple of dock shots.

5D856493-BECF-4488-9633-3356A2F20D16.jpeg 5F31F1AB-FD7F-4F58-A5F2-81C5489C2439.jpeg CC3224EE-F3AF-4C23-8607-311C1859F7BA.jpeg

Update:

I just got home to flush and try a startup. The primer ball is still pretty firm and it still won’t start. Just turns over and over.

pull the plugs and post the pics...make note of which plug came out of which cylinder. Is there a breather vent on the fuel tank? Kickers can run forever on the fuel in the line. Does it still run now (the kicker)?

I feel for you.

The excitement of a new boat and a nice day.
Smooth launch and moving nicely.
Bam! **** sandwich.

Sending best wishes that it is something simple.
Good thing you didn't go out when it was windy (trying for something good here)

Take II

Weather is a little better today and I decided I had a couple of hours to spare so let’s get it wet. Launch went well, started right up, purrs like a kitten, pisses like a racehorse. Most importantly it floats!

Backed out, spun around and headed towards the powder wharf which is only about 12-15 minutes away.

half way there the RPM’s dropped a bit and I thought maybe I accidentally backed off the throttle. Gave it a little more and it picked up again. Then it dropped RPM’s a little more. And I knew I didn’t back off on it so I slowed down and was idling when it shut itself off. Restarted it and it stalled again.

FML II

Kicker fired right up and I cruised back to the launch in about 25 minutes. Met a nice @Strait shooter there.

loaded up on the trailer and back to Forsch Marine. Chris is going to check it out next Friday. He thinks it’s possibly one of the fuel pumps in the main motor.

Here it is running literally seconds before it went downhill and a couple of dock shots.

View attachment 55752 View attachment 55753 View attachment 55754
Ah man!

Back