All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most principals and admin teams, while in steady communication with their districts, of course, won't be back to work full time until Aug 24th. So expect specifics by the end of that week (27/28). Every district will be different and every school will be different. I'd be surprised if kids return on the 8th. Teachers will need a day or two to learn the new protocols before trying to explain them to the kids.
I'll be fishing or golfing on the first day of school for the first time since I was in kindergarten.

Last edited:
Back to school date delayed for B.C. students

Kinda sounds like we’re getting ready to throw our old people under the school bus.

B.C. records 85 new coronavirus cases, its third-highest ever single-day total

B.C. to hire 500 more health-care workers to increase COVID-19 contact tracing

With cases spiking this should be a concern. BC needs to up its testing. I suspect the actual number of cases is much higher.

How is testing on the island?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/covid-testing-sites-lower-mainland-1.5687855
I think the reason our numbers are going up is because they are actually upping their testing. A couple months ago, a friend had all the symptons and went to get tested and they said its not covid. A week later, a coworker of his gets confirmed covid and then they finally test him even though before he had all the symptons and was denied a test.

On Thursday, my coworkers daughter got sick and went to get tested. they told her its likely not Covid but they will test her anyways. So at least now they are making an effort to test sick people. Before it seemed like they weren't testing anyone unless you're extremely sick.

With cases spiking this should be a concern. BC needs to up its testing. I suspect the actual number of cases is much higher.

How is testing on the island?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/covid-testing-sites-lower-mainland-1.5687855
This should give you an indication of what's happened on the island in the past 2 weeks.

covid19_hsda_20200813.png

http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data

Global National: Aug. 15, 2020 | Concerns rise over crowd control as B.C. aims to curb rising cases

August 17, 2020 – Canadians enter their sixth month of the COVID-19 pandemic with the lived experience of the spring and summer behind them, and the uncertainty of flu season, fall weather, and back to school looming ahead.

Against this backdrop, messages aimed at reducing community spread of the coronavirus are being followed as scrupulously as ever by some and falling almost entirely on the deaf ears of others.

Analysis of the latest public opinion data from the non-profit Angus Reid Institute places Canadians into three broad categories in a measure of their behaviors and mindset, known as the COVID Compliance Index.

The Infection Fighters follow virus suppression behaviours carefully and comprise nearly half the population (47%). The Inconsistent represent just over one-third of Canadians (36%) and take a more half-in, half-out approach to flattening the curve. The remaining one-in-five (18%) are Cynical Spreaders who have expanded their social circles, don’t physically distance and are ambivalent towards hand washing and mask wearing. This last group also professes a clear dislike for the way public health officials and political leaders have handled the pandemic.

Fascinating break down of the numbers here:
http://angusreid.org/covid-compliance/
covid-care-index-2.jpg

Good article. The chicken little response to going back to school by so many is tough to see. We have to live with the virus cause living without it isn't an option anytime soon.

not so easy when you have to send your kids their. Some parents kids also go to multiple schools. Won’t be small bubbles once we send out kids back to school.

not so easy when you have to send your kids their. Some parents kids also go to multiple schools. Won’t be small bubbles once we send out kids back to school.

I do send my kids to school. Between the strike here on the island last year, and covid they already missed half of last school year. Kids need school...it's an integral part of our society and we can't just NOT do it. It could be months, years, or decades until this crisis is behind us...we can't wait our way out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back