2020 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.
We fished the east side of Hornby yesterday, with some good results. The bite turned on at 0800 hrs and we were limited at 0830. Three nice slot Chinook and one hatchery Coho. We were fishing deep - on the DR 190 to 210' in 200 - 230' WD. 3-1/2" Spoon on one side of the boat and Coho Killer on the other side. Both lures were behind flashers. All of the salmon had 4" to 5" Herring in their stomachs and the stomachs are full. Tight lines all.

We fished the east side of Hornby yesterday, with some good results. The bite turned on at 0800 hrs and we were limited at 0830. Three nice slot Chinook and one hatchery Coho. We were fishing deep - on the DR 190 to 210' in 200 - 230' WD. 3-1/2" Spoon on one side of the boat and Coho Killer on the other side. Both lures were behind flashers. All of the salmon had 4" to 5" Herring in their stomachs and the stomachs are full. Tight lines all.
Thanks for the detailed report. Appreciated.

After sitting on my hands in Nanaimo with the relentless NW winds keeping the boat on the trailer, arrived to PP with similar wind situation.

Braved the seas last night to kitty anyway...and the forecast didn’t disappoint. I’m sure sore today. The pounding was worth it, managed 5 to the boat in under an hour. Released an over which is just gutting and makes me angry just thinking about it, released a 59cm under and kept a 75, 70 and a 67 for our limit. Almost an hour to get back to the marina in those seas. Hopefully the winds die off shortly.

big eye spoons and my fav vanilla ice hoochie

That is good news but still doesn't help with the Qualicum rivers mouth fisheries dfo at it's finest. Shut down on fish that aren't Fraser or whale food

Evening all. Coming up to deep bay for some family time. First time in this area of the island. Any areas you would recommend to send down a couple prawn traps and then go try some salmon fishing close by with the family. Not looking for anyone’s honey holes, but just enough to keep the family, especially the wife and daughter interested. Thanks to all in advance.

I'm not as familiar with the salmon areas down there (other than Norris rock) but as far as prawn - straight outside Deep bay, 250' depth, probably less 1nm from the harbour, drop where you see all the other buoys has always been good to us.

After spending all day yesterday feeding bait to dogfish @Kitty, thought i'd save the gas and look for coho off Lazo this morning - within a half hour of dropping the lines picked up a fat 76cm spring. Never did get a coho but did release several more (undersized) chinook along with a few baby lings.
All on an AP coho killer in 45' of water.
Wasn't all sunshine and roses though, last line check found the swivel must have gone on strike as when I pulled the line, still connected to the release clip, nothing else found - i.e flasher and said favourite lure no longer attached :-(

After spending all day yesterday feeding bait to dogfish @Kitty, thought i'd save the gas and look for coho off Lazo this morning - within a half hour of dropping the lines picked up a fat 76cm spring. Never did get a coho but did release several more (undersized) chinook along with a few baby lings.
All on an AP coho killer in 45' of water.
Wasn't all sunshine and roses though, last line check found the swivel must have gone on strike as when I pulled the line, still connected to the release clip, nothing else found - i.e flasher and said favourite lure no longer attached :-(
Good to hear. I fished the drop on the outside of Tree Island yesterday without a touch. Should have moved up to Lazo. I assume you fish the area between three PJ and PB bells?

I was just doing circles around PJ.
Ended up getting my coho after all. I built a skin on frame dory and have been rowing/dragging a lure around on the fly rod - picked one up tonight just before dusk -unfortunately was wild, so watched it swim away. Fun fight none the less.

Looking for some help set my prawn traps out side deep Bay today red float with crazy drawings done by my daughters and high vis tape all over if anyone sees them please let me know father's day gift thx for any help

Good day today off Cape Lao. Double header of Balmoral. 125 of water. One at 70 and one at 120. Spoon and hootchie. Both hit at once. The next one was taken by a seal. A good fight. Seal won.

Good day today off Cape Lao. Double header of Balmoral. 125 of water. One at 70 and one at 120. Spoon and hootchie. Both hit at once. The next one was taken by a seal. A good fight. Seal won.
Two double headers for us, first pair both unders, second pair one over one in the cooler. Two other singles. 50-90 ‘ between bell buoy and PJ

Attachments

• 4AFEB181-3739-49BF-A211-B801E3CA5DE9.jpeg
    4AFEB181-3739-49BF-A211-B801E3CA5DE9.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 101
I also had a little "episode" with a seal off PJ on Sat. am - I consider it a draw - he got the salmon, but I got a pretty good fight, and kept my flasher/lure.
According to the girl doing the DFO creel survey at the comox ramp, it's been a common event in that area.

If anyone manages to catch a spring off Point Holmes and he still has my Trophy Road and Islander TR3 attached I’d gladly pay a reward to get them back considering they are 6 days old! So upset... gah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back