Shaved Ice between ferry & gold river?

Woody

Wheres the best place to fill a couple marine coolers with shaved iced getting off ferry in nanaimo, headed to Gold River?
Thx, Woody

I picked up some regular ice at boat land in Campbell River. It’s $1 per scoop. 10 scoops filled a Costco cooler. Can pull the boat right up and gets scoops into the boat. It’s not salt ice though. If your looking for salt ice I usually grab it at French creek marina. You’ll have to haul your coolers in and out if you go this route and have a boat in tow.

You can get salt ice at Hub City Fisheries in south Nanaimo. I believe they’re on Southside drive. $20 for a large cooler if I remember correctly.

In Campbell River where you turn West to go to Gold River, there’s a Chevron Station. Across the street north side there’s a car wash. Pull up next to it and take your bucket and coins. They have a good ice dispensing machine. You’re an hour and a quarter + to the Gold River launch from there.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Woody
Forget the Car Wash it is a ripoff. Turn Right (instead of left to Gold River) two blocks on your left heading into town is Campbell River Seafoods. Salt Ice. Otherwise Boatland is cubed fresh ice.

+2 on CR Seafoods. They have some funky hours, but very nice ice!

Sounding like I wont be getting off the ferry till after standard business hours now.
Wont even make nanaimo by 5...
So when you say funky hours, would they be there in evenings by chance?

Sometimes you gotta pay for convenience. I am pretty sure CR Seafood will not be open when you go thru CR given your times. Every time I’ve been there, they’re closed. Give it a try though and lemme know how it goes. The car wash tho will be open fosho. I’ve never spent more than $10-15 to fill a cooler.

Harvey from CR seafoods met me at 9 pm last night on way through CR and filled my coolers with shaved ice after hours.
Top notch guy & service!!!
Thanksfor the heads up guys!
Appreciated.
Now a few days on the water in Nootka!

Harvey is good people.
Like most characters, he has his opinions, but that is what makes life interesting!

Tight lines out there!

Another option is Critter Cove is selling ice $5 for 3 bags, it’s not shaved ice but good if you need ice. We stocked up there on our trip as our shaved ice was running low after day 4 on our fish

Back