2020 Central Coast Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lived in Anchorage in the mid-80’s and remember this one caught, killed and weighed out of the Kenai River:

....”No list of massive king salmon would be complete without the current All-Tackle IGFA All-Tackle World Record 97-pound, 4-ounce king caught by Les Anderson in the Kenai River back in May of 1985. The record fish measured a mind blowing 58.5″ x 37″ and was probably a 100 pounder considering it wasn’t weighed for several hours after it was caught.

634BB128-4FED-46C1-A8EE-2148FB41B9B9.png

UNQUOTE

When you see how the girth carries through from the head all the way to the tail, there’s just no doubt what that guy is holding. And the adipose looks like a slice of freaking pizza!

But in the world of C&R, Chinook are like steelhead: the ones caught and released seem to always be a bit more gargantuan then the ones caught and killed. Either way, stunning fish pictures and hope both swam away on their own steam.

Last edited:
Curious where these big RI fish are being caught. I've only fished the outside, from Cranston Pt to Wadhams, and all the well known spots in between. Based on the topographies in the background that are not familiar to me, I'm guessing this is up at the head?

I was just there for 2.5 days over the long weekend. We picked up and released 7 fish in 2.5 days ranging from 28.5 lbs to 48lbs. We took measurements and used the formula to come up with a close size. I fished beside those guys that got the 70 but didn’t see them catch it. I did see a 60 caught though. Great fishing up there right now.

Curious where these big RI fish are being caught. I've only fished the outside, from Cranston Pt to Wadhams, and all the well known spots in between. Based on the topographies in the background that are not familiar to me, I'm guessing this is up at the head?
Yah, you can tell by the colour of the water. The fresh sits on top of the salt. They are up towards the end.

they were at Kilbella Bay we just all come back today the group was up there for the week with every one catching fish ranging from 30 to 80 and every boat I seen caught fish most days. then the 105 its hard cause the picture doesn't do the fish justice but it was epic to see the fish in real life. great group of people that were fishing there this week

I don’t know why they don’t weigh those fish in the net, they are netting them anyways. Just hook the scale on the ring of the net and give it a weigh then just deduct the weight of the net. Probly be less handling of the fish than measuring it with a tape trying to get it to stay still. If I ever get something in the 40+ range I will be that’s for sure. Or even better yet if your in hog country pack a darn fish cradle man and weigh it in the cradle.
Maybe some are a little afraid to get an actual number, a scale is a pretty humbling item I know that.

Everyone seems to believe the 72lber (I've got no doubt that's a 72 either) because it's a great photo and shows a lot of perspective of size compared to the anglers. The angler that caught that 72, also saw the 99-105 close up and said that it dwarfed his 72 and would totally believe the stated measurements. So... I'd have to believe an assessment like that... Can't trust the pictures, but a report from a different angler on that specific fish. And WHY NOT believe there are still 100 lbers out there?! Still gives everyone hope for their own, right? Look at the girth and length, two people, unlike the one in the above photo that is only one person.

Also, how do you expect to get an accurate weight while holding 100lbs on an unstable platform? I've seen a lot of fish hung on scales that aren't accurate. Why not trust a proven formula?

Someone sent me thus picture awhile back , not my photo whatsoever , apparently this is a 105 lb chinook tagged and released on the Kalum river back in the day, for perspective....3D21D97C-EBDA-4992-B1EE-C6DB7359EB09.jpeg

We’ll we’re heading home from spending 6 days at Dawson’s landing and fishing at the head at rivers inlet. What a great time , fishing for them monster springs is a thing every person that likes to fish should try to do. It took a day on trying to get it dialed in , but when we did holly crap what a fight. Them springs have some much power. We ended up hooking into 2 in the 40’s , 1 in the 30’s and a 26, 15 and a couple of cohos one small Hali. We released one in the 40’s and the other big one we kept do to it swallowed the hook and was bleeding to bad . A couple of days it was like fishing a lake at the head.

Any suggestions or recommendations out there for getting a Chinook replica. We hear Advanced Taxidermy in Ontario is good Thank you

Any suggestions or recommendations out there for getting a Chinook replica. We hear Advanced Taxidermy in Ontario is good Thank you
I’ve had a few done by Gander’s in Surrey and was happy with their work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back