Chewing on the Dummie Flasher setup

Breakin"even

Crew Member
I was tought to run about 6" from downrigger to dummie flasher which should give a 6' roll and put lure line
at least 8 feet up to avoid tangles. I was just talking with a guy and he said all you need is a 12" lead for the dummie and then all you need is a 3' spacing to run a flasher less presentation 10' back of the dummie.
Will the flasher work properly with the short leader and I would like to hear about other setups ideas that work.

I think you have a better grip on the dummy flasher set -up than " the guy." I also run 6 to 8 feet behind the cannonball and about 5 feet up to the release clip. Never had a problem and you get proper flasher action. Just check out the crazy fluttering action with the flasher only 12" behind.

I was tought to run about 6" from downrigger to dummie flasher which should give a 6' roll and put lure line
at least 8 feet up to avoid tangles. I was just talking with a guy and he said all you need is a 12" lead for the dummie and then all you need is a 3' spacing to run a flasher less presentation 10' back of the dummie.
Will the flasher work properly with the short leader and I would like to hear about other setups ideas that work.
Kone Zone for dummy unless its sockeye season. Then all my dummies have about a 4' leader and they're 6' apart

I'm wondering from those of you that run dummy flashers, do you leave it all hanging in the water below the clip also when your netting your fish or is it one more thing to deal with

Leave it the rig rarely becomes a problem-but that also depends on the boat some kickers seem to create a zone of negative pressure that can draw the flasher into the prop in that case use the oldest flasher you own and light line for the rigging.

For any fish of size, my whole rig gets pulled in. Especially on the kicker side. Fish are too scarce to loose one at teh boat because of gear in the water.

Last week I used a tandem Gibbs inline dummy flasher setup. About 3’ above and 15’ back I ran a 7” Tomic plug that produced a few fish.

My dummy setup is about a 3' leash on the flasher, with the release clip 3' above the flasher clip. Dont overthink it.

Ya, gotta go with this. I run 30 - 40" back and stack about 2.5 ft above. If I, when I get a fish I try to bring everything in but I am mostly on my own and whenever possible run 4 lines so the dummies are definitely a bit of work. Most of the time the fish is at the boat before I can clear much. Typically the fish side only.

Back