Switching from Scotty 1106 to 2106

BigBadBrad

Hey guys, I want to make the switch and get the high powered ones so I can fish bigger balls down deep. Currently I have 1106s with the old plugs. Has anyone done this switch? Do I need different wires for the 2106s. Is it difficult to change the plugs?

cheers!

quick con.jpg no, still needs 30 amp fuse. Wiring is easy. If you get it wrong it will run backwards, so just flip the wires. It won't blow up.

I used one of these on my little lake boat, because the proper Marinco plugs seem over-priced.

Last edited:
I have a 2116 HP (with the twin rocket launchers) for sale in the buy sell forum. Still has the stickers on it.
they are amazing but I need to put the money into other parts of the boat.

Hey guys, I want to make the switch and get the high powered ones so I can fish bigger balls down deep. Currently I have 1106s with the old plugs. Has anyone done this switch? Do I need different wires for the 2106s. Is it difficult to change the plugs?

cheers!

make sure you stock up on some spare lids and extra cannons.:)

Why spare lids?

because the counters fail constantly. imagine being on a west coast trip and having no counter. just pack a spare one. they also break cannons off a lot as they come up so fast they exit the water with speed and break the braid or wire as they come back down. i guess that could be rectified with the appropriate stopper setting

because the counters fail constantly. imagine being on a west coast trip and having no counter. just pack a spare one. they also break cannons off a lot as they come up so fast they exit the water with speed and break the braid or wire as they come back down. i guess that could be rectified with the appropriate stopper setting
Ok thanks! So if the counter goes I need a whole new lid ?

Ok thanks! So if the counter goes I need a whole new lid ?

not if,but when the counter goes, you just have to replace the counter. apparently the second generation is better, but if you leave them on your boat in the elements, they fog up and condensate and you can’t see the numbers anyways. perhaps those covers would help with that. scotty is good for replacing them.

my buddy has had his HPs for two seasons now, keeps his boat in a marina and has replaced them 8 times now.

not if,but when the counter goes, you just have to replace the counter. apparently the second generation is better, but if you leave them on your boat in the elements, they fog up and condensate and you can’t see the numbers anyways. perhaps those covers would help with that. scotty is good for replacing them.

my buddy has had his HPs for two seasons now, keeps his boat in a marina and has replaced them 8 times now.

Why are you telling him to purchase a spare Lid? Brad, all you need is a spare counter.

read my last post? or nah?
He had to ask you twice for you to told him he didn’t need a whole spare lid. Have you been following? Better load up on lots of extra cannonballs, it’s very typical that they launch so hard out of the water they end up in orbit, never to be seen again! :rolleyes:. Where do you get this stuff?

He had to ask you twice for you to told him he didn’t need a whole spare lid. Have you been following? Better load up on lots of extra cannonballs, it’s very typical that they launch so hard out of the water they end up in orbit, never to be seen again! :rolleyes:. Where do you get this stuff?

I “get this stuff” from observing it happen several times. the cannon is pulled out of the water so fast and when it comes back down it snaps the connection. i seem to have struck a nerve; why are you so intent on interfering?

they are a great rigger , they just have some quirks and quarks that aren’t for me.

same same, yet if requested scotty will provide you with 'manual counters' which clip into the 2106

you have to leave the cover off, yet at least you're still able to fish

i have several onboard, yet the replacement (digital) counters are going strong

i hope i didn't just jinx myself............

Here are some pro's and cons for the 2106 vs 1106
Pro-they are fast and that enables you to fish very tight to the bottom and clear pinnacles without hanging. You can fish heavier balls. Recovery from depth is exceptionally fast but if you don't pause at a certain depth you can get a tangle with your fishing line as you can't reel in slack fast enough. Losing balls is really just a red herring and only requires you to set-up the ball stop correctly. Don't let newbs on it without supervision.
Con-counters are constantly going out at the wrong time-I carried a spare lid with counter at all times. Changing a counter at the dock is easy-not so much on the highway-hence the lid with the counter in it.
In 3 years of using them -2 guiding-I have never had a strike on a retrieval (too fast?) whereas I used to get fish all the time on an 1106 retrieval.

They are nice-have their quirks and shouldn't be used by unskilled visitors on your boat. If you like fishing pinnacles while trolling they will certainly up your fish count and stress levels!!

Last edited:
Thanks. My rain reason for wanting to make switch is so I can fish 18 and 20lb balls effectively when dragging bottom offshore (180-210ft of water). I have tried with my 1106s and I feel it’s not the right tool for the job. 18s seem to cause lots of stress on the motor with 240ft of cable out.

Back