2020 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes the humps illegal on my chart. Use Navionic chart viewer and plot a course between the two points. Humps are roughly a 1/4 mile inside the 1 limit zone. Not even close.

That's what I thought at first as too, but when I draw a straght line on Navionics from Flora Islet to French Creek breakwater I get the humps as southeast of the line....so that would mean they are in the 2 a day limit area.....southeast would be to the outside of that line right....northwest being towards Columbia beach ?

Read down and it says portions of 14-4 & 14-5 southeast of a line from Flora Islet light to the French Creek breakwater is also now 2 a day.

Screenshot_20200809-155552.jpg

That's what I thought at first as too, but when I draw a straght line on Navionics from Flora Islet to French Creek breakwater I get the humps as southeast of the line....so that would mean they are in the 2 a day limit area.....southeast would be to the outside of that line right....northwest being towards Columbia beach ?
Can't be correct, must be a typo. The line runs SE. How can you get SE of a line that runs SE? SW would make sense as the Big and Little Q would fall into that area.
upload_2020-8-9_16-27-29.png

That's why I don't get it....I'm assuming one side of the line or the other is 2 a day....so I thought well the humps are at least East of that line, so I'm thinking that's what they meant....but you are right the line itself runs southeast.

Can't be correct, must be a typo. The line runs SE. How can you get SE of a line that runs SE? SW would make sense as the Big and Little Q would fall into that area.
View attachment 55653

Last edited:
Out today from 5 till just before dark. First time ever in area. Dropped gear down just outside marina. Got into smaller springs right away. Then a mid teen spring we lost at net. That was it.

All deep 170 to 200ft. Lots of bait and fish shallow...

14-7, 14-10 and 14-15 are 2 per day. Just around Denman and Hornby. The way I see it, nothing has changed around French Creek. Does that make sense??

You are correct, this is a typo in FN0800. There will be a fishery notice coming out asap stating the correction. The notice should read "south west of a line".

Ya after some unnecessary confusion I figured Disco must be right, it has to be a mistake in the wording by DFO.

Was on the water this morn a little before 6 and fished through low slack, bait balls on the surface everywhere and bait everywhere in general but only managed one barley legal. Saw a few nets in the water but seemed really slow compared to a couple days ago. Threw everything out there....plugs, spoons, hoochies... all the go too stuff but just couldn’t connect, still a beauty morning though

Ya...same for me. Tried everything in my tackle box. Lots of bait on surface early morning and bottom 100 feet. Got one good size coho and a decent hit on a Rhys Davis large rubber herring. Tides and bite times getting better this week morning...be back out Tuesday.

Went out for 3 nights (5-8). Landed and kept one 70 cm each night on a plug at 220' off light house side of Ballenas in 220' of water. One white and two reds. Released a few shakers and long released something ;). Really hard to find organized bait; lots of swimmers throughout the water column but few schooling. Did notice that they started to group later in the night as we were leaving. Will try a few more nights this week. (Glad to have been off the water during last's lightning show!)

Hit the humps this morning at about 6, had action right away but lost a couple before bonking a nice fat 78cm red. Good coho action too from 90ish down to 150’ on the herring aid, couldn’t seem to find a hatchery though. Not a lot of bait but action was steady and was a great way to start the day!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back