2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went out for a quick night bite from 4:00-7:15.

Fished from Breakwater to Macaulay from 45’ - 80’ mixed it up with bait and spoons. Nada!

9 crabs in the trap, all males, 2 keepers

witnessed 1 boat hook up in front of the breakwater, and that’s all I saw for action.

Was walking the breakwater this evening, checking in with a guy fishing solo in an open aluminum nada and one nice older hard top with an aluminum pod trolling and jigging in close. 5 guys and 1 daughter shore casting. One rock cod from the daughter seemed to be the only production. I'm reduced to shore reports as dad duties are taking over the rest of the month. The dog fish may go hungry. Enjoy it for me, I'll get a hall pass someday!

How about 24lbs even. Tried everything and then went back to the ole faithful. Bloody Nose teaser behind a purple haze flasher. Pedder Bay around 10 am at 85 ft water.

Attachments

• Nook.jpg
    Nook.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 169
Sorry, should have said, the nook was a hatchery fish, and on an anchovy. It was a double header, but lost the other fish as I was solo. Only thing better than landing the fish was giving some to both neighbors and both kids.

Out on the water at first light, trolled the breakwater on the remaining flood. Tried different depths, finally at about 7:30 had a nice hit. Great fighting fish, ran 3 times. I got the fish close to the boat and I new it wasn’t going to be good. Landed the fish, took a quick measurement, sure enough, about 95 cm, which when I did the conversion, was about a 22 -23 lber. Back in the water, and I had a few choice phases as I watched her swim to the deep!

That was the only hit of the day, packed it in about 11:00. Anchovy in an anchovy teaser head, the hit came at 90’ on the rigger in 90’ of water.

Went to check on the trap that I left in over night. Another 4 keepers.

Jigged some of favourite Chinook haunts of Oak Bay. Nothing as far as salmon. Two 63cm Lingcod and several rockfish.

Crab traps were loaded. Lots of females and undersized but enough big boys. Many of the crabs missing one claw?

Pretty quiet day out there, started at 5:30 ish.

Motored over to the breakwater & started trolling. Did several loops in front and 1/2 way over to the green can until about 9:00. Both sides bait, range from 25’ to 110’. Nothing! Not even a tap. I didn’t see any action out there.

Started jigging in front of the Breakwater and did a slow drift over to Saxe point. Picked up an undersized ling in the channel gap, and then hit a big bait ball just on the left (facing shore) of the green can, and managed to pull up a 55cm spring, which is about 4-6 lb, so I tossed it back. (Wife not happy, she wanted salmon for dinner)

slow on the crab today, only managed 1.

Last edited:
Dropped a trap at sax point last night for an overnight soak. Due to something that came up this morning I wasn’t able to get back to it till 2:30 this afternoon. It just had one female dungie and an undersized red rock.
I have a feeling someone cleaned it out. My trap is normally loaded at that spot with mostly males. And I have the kind of trap with the doors elevated off the floor so they can’t get out.
I could be wrong but ether way I’ll try not to leave it that long anymore.

Great day out there with my son who rarely gets out fishing but has always had good luck when he comes. Took him hali fishing and decided to go back to a spot I haven't been to for a while. First bite of the day on his side 15lb chicken. Second bite of the day came on back rod with the old Penn levelwind and I have never heard that reel sound like that before. No nibbles just straight screamer in the holder, unreal. We thought it came off as after that it went slack but after reeling in a bunch it was still there. Handed the rod to sonny boy and let (made) him bring it in. Measured it for about 5 minutes before we made the call and brought it in. As close to 126 as you can get! Thanks to the guys in the small boat nearby who picked up and returned my boat hook when it went over trying to measure the fish. Such a change from the dogfish fest I had last time out, no doggies today. Salmon belly was the ticket today

Thinking of heading out Friday morning for the early morning slack to hit up some salmon. For preference, Flats, Waterfront, or Constance (weather permitting)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back