2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are many guys fishing Thrasher right now? I staying on Galiano for a few nights at the end of the week and have never fished up there before. Regs state you can start fishing part way up valdez out of the RCA so Im thinking may as well head right to Thrasher. Also, I've heard some guys mention fishing inside of Polier. Are you referring to west side of Galiano and Valdez? Cheers!

Heading out Sat and trying to decide on whether to head to Gower or over to Thrasher area. I Am new to the area and haven't fished either spot... any tips, opinions would be appreciated!

Gower produces at this time its slow maybe one spring in a day of fishing. Got one at 50' last year just fish 50-100 feet of water i prefer 50-70 water for coho spring. I would go in the channel off of salmon rock and get springs at 120'. Its slow fishing so you're lucky if you get one off Gower.

Heading out Sat and trying to decide on whether to head to Gower or over to Thrasher area. I Am new to the area and haven't fished either spot... any tips, opinions would be appreciated!
If the weather permits I'll be with a few other boats at Thrasher area. Taking all their money.

Are many guys fishing Thrasher right now? I staying on Galiano for a few nights at the end of the week and have never fished up there before. Regs state you can start fishing part way up valdez out of the RCA so Im thinking may as well head right to Thrasher. Also, I've heard some guys mention fishing inside of Polier. Are you referring to west side of Galiano and Valdez? Cheers!
Yes, the inside of Porlier Pass is the west side.
Not recommended this time of year. more a winter and spring locale.

Gower produces at this time its slow maybe one spring in a day of fishing. Got one at 50' last year just fish 50-100 feet of water i prefer 50-70 water for coho spring. I would go in the channel off of salmon rock and get springs at 120'. Its slow fishing so you're lucky if you get one off Gower.

Am I mistaken in thinking that it's still closed for Chinooks off Gower and salmon rock?

Am I mistaken in thinking that it's still closed for Chinooks off Gower and salmon rock?

Salmon Rock is closed till sept 1. But west of the line from Gower to Shah Point at southern end of Valdes Island is open now for one Chinook within the slot size.

Last edited:
Salmon Rock is closed till sept 1. But west of the line from Gower to Shah Point at southern end of Valdes Island is open now for one Chinook within the slot size.
Strait_of_Georgia_and_Howe_Sound.jpeg

OK what am I missing here. This map say 29-3 is closed until Sept 1 for Chinook but the Regulation on DFO website and phone app states 29-3 to 29-5 is open for 1 Chinook.

View attachment 55723

Its super confusing but take a look at the last sentence of the Chinook section under Restrictions on the web page. The Restrictions section is under the Species Regulations section that you were looking at. It will refer you to fisheries notice 673, which supersedes the general status of those areas.

Basically, you always have to look at the Restricitons section for additional things they put in place

Its super confusing but take a look at the last sentence of the Chinook section under Restrictions on the web page. The Restrictions section is under the Species Regulations section that you were looking at. It will refer you to fisheries notice 673, which supersedes the general status of those areas.

Basically, you always have to look at the Restricitons section for additional things they put in place

Thanks! I just figured it out. Man you got to be super sleuth to figure out these regs. A new person to fishing would be so screwed especially if they don't know map points referenced. Why wouldn't they make it easy for ppl to figure out these regs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back