2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went back to HITW after chasing coho around S Bowen and Ambleside last 3 weeks with minimal results. Had a double header 30 minutes in at low tide. A couple of fiesty juvenile Chinook. Put up an enjoyable fight. A few more very light hits but other than that it's all she wrote. Calm seas made for an nice morning on the water.

Fished the evening bite WestV yesterday, a school of fish showed at 6pm... 2 rods went off at the same time, stayed on them for a bit but didn’t last long 30-50
hooch, tried for springs nothing around nice rainy cool evening for a change my kind of weather
Went out Friday late afternoon too - rods in the water at 5pm off Cap Light - 1 minute in we had a hatch coho on green hootchie at 40'. Promising start, sadly nothing for the next 2-1/2 hrs.

Where there are seals there are lots of fish, more seals, more fish. Too many seals now, each one eats a lot.

In general, seals consume 4 percent to 6 percent of their body weight daily. The average male grey seal, sporting a dark gray coat with silvery spots, weighs approximately 880 pounds and requires 35 to 52 pounds of food daily

Sea lions even more

So that means there are lots of fish though :D
And 100% of my fish until "I got my little friend"

Where there are seals there are lots of fish, more seals, more fish. Too many seals now, each one eats a lot.

In general, seals consume 4 percent to 6 percent of their body weight daily. The average male grey seal, sporting a dark gray coat with silvery spots, weighs approximately 880 pounds and requires 35 to 52 pounds of food daily

Sea lions even more

So that means there are lots of fish though :D

Where'd ya get this info? I know seals and all marine mammals eat a significant percentage of their bodyweight in food each day, but I highly doubt a local harbour seal weighs 800+lbs. That's in the range of the Stellar's sea lions.

Edit: Vancouver Aquarium page on harbour seals: they eat 3-5kg of food per day
https://www.vanaqua.org/education/aquafacts/harbour-seals

Where'd ya get this info? I know seals and all marine mammals eat a significant percentage of their bodyweight in food each day, but I highly doubt a local harbour seal weighs 800+lbs. That's in the range of the Stellar's sea lions.

Edit: Vancouver Aquarium page on harbour seals: they eat 3-5kg of food per day
https://www.vanaqua.org/education/aquafacts/harbour-seals
The info? Just about everywhere.
Stellar sea lions are moving in en-mass too;
The largest sea lion is Steller's sea lion, which can weigh 1,000 kg (2,200 lb) and grow to a length of 3.0 m (10 ft). Sea lions consume large quantities of food at a time and are known to eat about 5–8% of their body weight (about 6.8–15.9 kg (15–35 lb)) at a single feeding.

Sure the estimate there are 125,000 harbor seals now but salmon runs used to be in the millions and more of them too.
I guess that is all the Van Aqua is feeding them, it isn't like they have to be athletes, just sit around and float there.

The waters off B.C. are home to five species of pinnipeds representing two families. These are the Phocidae, or true seals, which includes the northern elephant seal and harbour seal, and the Otariidae or eared seals, which includes the northern fur seal and the Steller and California sea lions.

On to fishing,

Going to get out Wednesday if it kills me, another different boat to sort out.

Is anyone getting "accidental" big springs? The DFO have stopped reporting, or I can't find it, test fisheries results everywhere that I can see.

Someone caught a good keeper chinook off Gower yesterday morning. Anyone else hearing of any action near Gower, since it's retention allowed area?

As per my prior report, I got pretty much nothing when I went to scout it out a few weeks ago. Thinking it may be a better time now ... ?

I tried pt Atkinson west van to cap mouth on Friday from 11-5pm no bites tried everything herring aid spoon green spatter hootchie white hootchie. How does one fish sand heads and not fish for chinook because that's what youll end up getting?

I tried pt Atkinson west van to cap mouth on Friday from 11-5pm no bites tried everything herring aid spoon green spatter hootchie white hootchie. How does one fish sand heads and not fish for chinook because that's what youll end up getting?
I guess you could troll hootchies with a shorter leader at a decent speed to target Coho. You would still hit some chinook though.

Fished west van from just East of the fisheries to Cap from 12-2 ish. I didn't see any action myself but got into one of those amazing moments when the three boats surrounding me all landed fish in a matter of five minutes. Tight into the armpit off the pink in 100' of water. F***ed if I know what depth they were fishing...jerks.

Fished west van from just East of the fisheries to Cap from 12-2 ish. I didn't see any action myself but got into one of those amazing moments when the three boats surrounding me all landed fish in a matter of five minutes. Tight into the armpit off the pink in 100' of water. F***ed if I know what depth they were fishing...jerks.

Thats too bad, RC. Did you get to see if they caught Cohos or Chinooks? That's pretty close to the Chinook retention area, so I'm curious. I see reports of some Chinooks caught there!

Thats too bad, RC. Did you get to see if they caught Cohos or Chinooks? That's pretty close to the Chinook retention area, so I'm curious. I see reports of some Chinooks caught there!
Only saw one close enough and definitely a nook.

I got a coho at 100' on the rigger. Fast fast troll. Didn't expect it but there you go. Was also fishing the shallow depths at the same time ( 20-40'). I think all the boats running around push the fish down.
Also around fisheries - just east off the point between the freighters there were a lot showing at 80' but not biting.

I got a coho at 100' on the rigger. Fast fast troll. Didn't expect it but there you go. Was also fishing the shallow depths at the same time ( 20-40'). I think all the boats running around push the fish down.
Also around fisheries - just east off the point between the freighters there were a lot showing at 80' but not biting.
I'm convinced those are ghost fish there :rolleyes:

I guess you could troll hootchies with a shorter leader at a decent speed to target Coho. You would still hit some chinook though.

No WAY ........ according to our local Hypocrite Suzuki....... when you target Coho....... you just get Coho.

Laughable he is really. The way hes bamboozled millions of followers.
Isnt it funny how NO whales are starving thus year too. Havent heard a thing from those hypoctprites this year after they too fooled millions......and most importantly those that make sound decisions for our West Coast fishery.

Were screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back