SA Company Face Shield

Anyone bought the face coverings they sell for fishing? $20USD for 5 . Seen guys in Hawaii using them all the time and seems perfect for Walmart shopping :)
Buddy in our hunting group bought them for us. They're fine. I got the cool skeleton one.

I don’t have theirs but have a couple from other brands that are pretty much the same thing. Both were bought for fishing down south. I also wear them for work sometimes when I feel like I’ve reached my limit of sun. I’ve been thinking the same thing as far as going into stores. But for Walmart, online ordering is the way to go. I doubt I’ll ever step foot in there again.

They work great for robbing Walmart’s lol

the Florida guys have been wearing those forever to keep cool and less sun. I don’t think they do much as far as being considered a mask. But do whatever makes you feel good

I have bought from them. Buy them for work more of a neck warmer and face cover in the fall and winter. Lots of different designs, but as said don't think they are as good as a N95 but better then nothing.

I have bought from them. Buy them for work more of a neck warmer and face cover in the fall and winter. Lots of different designs, but as said don't think they are as good as a N95 but better then nothing.
Us too. Hunting thing to keep warm. I believe we did get the cold weather ones though if there was an option.

I wear one for shopping in these COVID times. Similar protection to the surgical masks that are commonplace. Obviously not filtering in a meaningful way like an N95 mask.

They are a great deal. WAY better than any sports team crap available.
IF you have a big head, it takes a bit to stretch out. Get light colours...

Chuckling here gentleman. Appreciate the feedback. I've been getting nuked by the sun, turned myself into a tenderfoot, sun burned office boy over the years. I've come a long way from throwing hay bales and commercial fishing.

Rumour is if you don't talk moistly you aren't as likely to share it, if you get it. With older parents I want to at least do something so we are on the boat I am doing a part to not spread it or the flu to them. I have a couple N95's and I've never seen them not steam up glasses, so unless we are fit testing like in the old pulp mill days we are not 100% safe but if I can cut my burn out on the water in half I'll be happy!

Ordered 6 for $33 USD shipped. A couple for the kids as well. Got a new bike trailer for the kids so if you see guy with a wild coloured fishing mask riding his bike, towing a kids trailer, give a wide berth and honk! Keep the fishing reports coming, I'll be back on the water soon.

Just used one of them on my esperanza trip. Very useful the one sunny day we had. I got it wet and it kept me cool and kept the sun off my neck and ears. i wrapped it up over my had and just below my nose. couldnt stand it over my nose, sunglasses would keep steaming up. Also, it does meet the requirements of a "face covering" for the covid.

Just used one of them on my esperanza trip. Very useful the one sunny day we had. I got it wet and it kept me cool and kept the sun off my neck and ears. i wrapped it up over my had and just below my nose. couldnt stand it over my nose, sunglasses would keep steaming up. Also, it does meet the requirements of a "face covering" for the covid.
Just gotta pull the sunglasses a little further down the nose.

20200801_190808.jpg 20200801_190810.jpg

I turned around and almost spit out my beer!..
My buddy, in Bamfield when we fished Kirby 1 evening, he "use" to have red hair when we were kids and burns badly..

His is a HD branded, not sure who actually made it.

Apologize, Cant figure out how to rotate pics

Great for sun protection, pretty much useless - actually worse than useless - according to recent research conducted by respected scientists and published in a peer reviewed journal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...2bb888-db18-11ea-b205-ff838e15a9a6_story.html

Nice, thanks for posting that link. My face shield is Buff brand which was specifically mentioned in the article. I guess I'll have to go back to a traditional heavier cotton mask. Interesting to see them call-out the N95 masks with the exhaust flapper valve...I've got loads of those at home. I wore one to my Dr. office thinking "I'll wear the best mask I've got".

Great for sun protection, pretty much useless - actually worse than useless - according to recent research conducted by respected scientists and published in a peer reviewed journal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...2bb888-db18-11ea-b205-ff838e15a9a6_story.html

I wouldn't take any advice on this from a US source. They no **** about protecting themselves from Covid. That's clear. LOL!

I am in the business of Custom printed apparel and Promotional Products.
The mask market has been a gong show. Masks are the new Tee Shirt and Sanitizer the new pen.

I sell many styles of masks and buffs. Buffs from thin fabrics like we have always sold and now buffs with filters at the mouth designed for Covid protection. The products have been evolving with every new style.
Buffs have been popular for sports and some trades because they are easy to pull up and down and decorate real well. Masks I can't write orders fast enough or capture stock from my Suppliers. Inventory has to be checked daily.

Agreed some masks and buffs are better than others. The idea behind face coverings is to keep us from spitting on each other and surface areas that someone else may come in contact with.
So they do work and they will make a difference.

Look around you... Since we started taking sanitation seriously, reduced contact and wearing masks.... how many friends, coworkers and family have had a common cold of flu? Way less if any.
I hope we all go forward after this a bit more germ aware. People are pretty gross really.

Do your part. Wear a Face Covering in public settings and anytime outside your bubble.

This is why I don't post anything COVID related, so much misinformation on both sides and everyone is an expert... What does it being a US source have to do with anything? What part of "...respected scientists published in a peer reviewed journal." is political or controversial in anyway? The OP was asking for opinions on face shields for SARS-COV2 protection, here's some real research and not an opinion. Read the original paper if you don't believe the summary in the Washington Post - https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083.

The latest research indicates that aerosols, and not just droplets, are an important part of SARS-COV2 transmission. Some face coverings are useful for limiting droplet transmission (the above article shows, and ranks, which are better than others), whereas unless they are specifically designed for the purpose (i.e. N95 masks) are effectively useless for preventing the spread of aerosols. There was another article today discussing how experts (microbiologists/epidemiologists, and not Fox news blowhards), who suggest that face coverings are not a one stop panacea even though they still recommend wearing a mask when in public and unable to socially distance, are being labelled as "anti-maskers".

The reason less people are sick now are most likely, in approximate order of importance a) the 2 - 4 week shut down in April / May where most people stayed home where possible prevented anyone who was sick at the time from transmitting; b) almost everyone has been social distancing with people outside their bubble; c) people have been paying closer attention to sanitation (more cognizant of avoiding touching their faces, washing their hands and using hand sanitizer profusely); d) no large gatherings or crowded areas like, schools, sporting events, concerts, limited travel on airplanes and public transport, all of which are perfect places for viruses to spread; e) its summer and not the cold and flu season; f) limited travel outside our communities preventing "new" diseases from coming; and g) wearing masks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an anti-masker and wear one if necessary. But I think it is important that when people wear a mask, they wear one that is effective and don't get a false sense of security as there more effective steps to limit viral spread.

Well. There you have it. As you said everyone’s an expert.
And you may have missed an important part of my post
“Agreed some masks and buffs are better than others. The idea behind face coverings is to keep us from spitting on each other and surface areasthat someone else may come in contact with. So they do work and they will make a difference.”

The US comment was a joke.

Anyways I’ll let this thread get back to the the original post about a fishing mask.

Last edited:
Buffs from thin fabrics like we have always sold and now buffs with filters at the mouth designed for Covid protection. The products have been evolving with every new style.
Buffs have been popular for sports and some trades because they are easy to pull up and down and decorate real well.

Any good Buffs you recommend for fishing and also the ones with filters? Got our SA ones and they are pretty dam cheap, hopefully a little nicer on the skin after a wash. Used it a little bit this weekend while reeling in a few coho. What's your company send us a link, thanks!

Back