Barkley anchorage

dmurph

Has anyone stayed in the anchorage’s in the photo around harbour Entrance/ Jacques area?

D9FFD016-65DE-4D2E-A8E5-4EDB698051EE.jpeg

We scouted it out last summer, while we didn't end up dropping the hook there (were comfy nearby) there was several boats there and it looked reasonable enough to add it to the list of possible places to stay.

Effingham is only a few km away so a good safety net if you get to Island harbour and you don’t like it. I’m curious about Island Harbour now and might have to check it out.

We found Effingham to be okay, but a crowded (relatively) and a bit more exposed in a NW - not dangerously so, just a bit more lumpy/breezy. Nice hike to the other side of the island.

I haven’t been to Effingham but was thinking that maybe it’s crowded, not that I don’t like crowds just wouldn’t wanna show up after an evening fish and not have room to stay. I stayed in turtle many years back on a friend’s boat and recall it being pretty sweet

Sorry, I meant Turtle/Dodd Anchorage. Only 4 boats tonight and lots of room to swing. Would take another 20 boats to start feeling crowded. NW winds lately haven’t been an issue. I was at Effingham a couple nights ago and it was decent but with a deeper bottom (and SE winds). Just one other boat that night.

Sorry, I meant Turtle/Dodd Anchorage. Only 4 boats tonight and lots of room to swing. Would take another 20 boats to start feeling crowded. NW winds lately haven’t been an issue. I was at Effingham a couple nights ago and it was decent but with a deeper bottom (and SE winds). Just one other boat that night.

Oh cool I don’t remember turtle being that big to accommodate that amount of boats, maybe I’ll have to go there again

If you want to be alone there's a tight little spot on the inside of Wouwer - not as obviously protected as some of the bigger anchorages, but it benefits by being so tight. We had orcas come in one night to attack the sea lion colony close by.

I haven’t been to Effingham but was thinking that maybe it’s crowded, not that I don’t like crowds just wouldn’t wanna show up after an evening fish and not have room to stay. I stayed in turtle many years back on a friend’s boat and recall it being pretty sweet

We had a great night at Effingham, by ourselves when that Comet was first in the sky. We were alone, with the closure of the park it’s likely less busy than a regular year.

Back