Tales From The Tyee Pool.......2020..

As most people now know, the first Tyee of the year was registered last night, barely squeaking in at 30 lbs. and one ounce, but a Tyee nonetheless.

Caught by rod-holder David Richter (new member) and rowed by Brett Gardner, the monster fell for a plug.

Congratulations to both.

On a more serious note, I was just informed mere minutes ago and from an impeccable source that Bob Main caught a Cabezon this morning, creating a real threat to my position as King Of The Cabezons.

This creates a real problem for me as I'm now torn between trying hard for a Tyee or endeavoring to maintain my Cabezon crown by trying harder for one of them.

Decisions, decisions.

Now if that wind would lay down I'd be even more happy.

Take care.

FirstTyee20.jpg

Greetings from the poolside palace I call home.

The past 48 hours or so have seen nothing happen Tyee-wise worth mentioning, although there have been a few hook-ups and lost fish, as well as a 28 weighed two nights ago.

Alan and I saw that one being played and boated but saw no other action that night.

We swam the new-to-me Lucky Louie Red-Eye Shovelnose that Paguy (Shannon) sent over and it seemed to wiggle really well, judging from the action on the tip of the rod.

I'll definitely be trying it more in the future, based on the action it showed.

One thing I've wondered about recently, and from a strictly historical perspective, is I'm curious if the numbers on the sign at the clubhouse have ever been at or stayed at their current numbers for this long a time in the history of the club?

Here's the pic.

RSCN6207.JPG

Certainly it must be a rare sight, having 30 and 30 stay there for a few days, so I captured it for future reference.

Here's a photo of one of the older more classic Alaska ferries, but I'm not sure of it's name.
One of the sights one enjoys from the pool.

RSCN6198.JPG

Lastly, here's a couple of pics that show the yard at the clubhouse, a tribute to the work of Bob and Judy.

Sad to see the yard so empty most of the time these days, but such are the times.

RSCN6206.JPG

RSCN6205.JPG

In conclusion, I'm starting a new myth that it's good luck to have a Crow poop on you.

I'll test that out tonight.

Take care.

Well it was great to get back in the pool with Dave, like he said there wasn’t much for action other than the one that fell 2 pounds short(that’d be tough to swallow), still hard to beat even without the tyee cooperation. I did see a nice fish roll once too. But that was the first night of practice so I could remember what was needed of me. So I also went out with my uncle last night away from the tyee pool in the motor boat to practice the fish battling part and sure had a hot night out there. Even released a tyee size fish without touching and told him to meet me in the tyee pool tomorrow night. So having said all that tomorrow night is the night I join the club god willing. Can’t wait to be out there again I love it and the history of it! Good luck to the rest out there(after I land mine of course )

Tried rowing last night with trusty rod-holder FishAssassin on the gear but it was so windy and bouncy that after a pass and a half common sense prevailed and I started whining.

Fortunately my whine was heard and we aborted the night early.

Looking at the board this morning I noted we missed nothing last night and nobody caught one this morning either.

We are still at 30/30, something I doubt has ever happened for such a period of time before.

Anyway, hopefully the wind will bugger off and we'll have another shot at it tonight.

I've heard that three Tyee have been taken off the Discovery Fishing Pier so far and numerous others have been caught and released in the 80 cm reg areas also.

Tons of bait out there which is irrelevant to we rowers, but is good to know and explains why the fishing is so good elsewhere.........maybe.

Tonight.....

Take care.

I saw you out there Dave. My rod holder had a change of plans so I attempted to row solo in the wind. Found it challenging. Main excitement was that I rowed myself to what may be a contender for the Cabezon man award (probably a gear depth related consequence of fishing and rowing at the same time). For a split second that made me seriously question the wisdom of rowing solo, but at least got the heart rate up.

I saw you out there Dave. My rod holder had a change of plans so I attempted to row solo in the wind. Found it challenging. Main excitement was that I rowed myself to what may be a contender for the Cabezon man award (probably a gear depth related consequence of fishing and rowing at the same time). For a split second that made me seriously question the wisdom of rowing solo, but at least got the heart rate up.
Was fishing alone last night. Was a little rough, but calmed down before dark. The tidal current until then, was a bit hard to row against and you could surf the other direction. I did see a couple boats row out of the pool but I assume these fish were undersize, released or lost fish. I see nothing new on the board. There seems to be a greater interest in catch and release undersize fish this year. Been fishing two perfect #8 Stewarts in 50/50 copper chrome both sides configuration, but maybe time to bring out the plugs.

My hat's off (blown off) to you guys for toughing it out last night, specially solo.

When it's not much fun I'm just not into it that much, partly old age and partly ambivalence I suspect. LOL

Maybe tonight it'll sort out as the wind switched earlier so who knows what we'll have.

Hopeful.

Take care.

Having made a valiant effort using the old "a Crow pooped on me myth" Tuesday night didn't work so I thought I'd break out my other "sure-fire" trick and bring in a ringer for a rod-holder.

Thus, last night I had Rockymtns out on the rod again. Now Alan has told me that he has caught Walleye, Bass, Pike and several other members of the Lobster family previously, so I figured he'd be a natural in helping me in the King Of The Cabezon annual competition, something I'm being thrashed at right now, according to the best information available from my sources, but he failed me miserably.

Despite a beautiful evening with not much of a tidal current and little air movement, plus the fact I loitered around Cabezon country a couple of times, we came up empty.

We did see a crazy Chinook cavorting madly about, almost as if it was exuberant it was near to spawning.
It jumped then screamed across the surface, then jumped again before wallowing about in plain view of the salmon-starved fleet at the south end of the pool. We saw and heard what we think were Porpoises outside the pool, and we made several really nice passes with my hot plug wiggling its best, but nothing came our way and we received no strikes at all.

I'm blaming Alan.

We saw one boat out on a fish down south and one boat out on a fish up north but neither made it as a Tyee.

Apparently the one up north was a jumping fool of a fish and kept both rodman and rower much entertained. I'm told at one point the fish jumped up and over the outboard motor and the rodman had to quickly stand up to clear the line away from becoming wrapped up. Sounded like a fun fight for sure and I wondered if that fish might be an offspring of Leaping Lena, the fish we lost a few years back on its fifth jump.

Been a few Tyee taken from Discovery Pier I'm told, but it's certainly still slow here.

Tonight...............................................................................................................................................................I'll be right one of these times. LOL

Take care.

Nice new Hat Dave ! Neither I , nor the Cabezon, recognized you !

CRGreg

That was my plan but apparently it didn't fool any Cabezon at all.

Darn it!

I blame my rod-holders.

Take care.

Well try as I might I couldn’t buy one of those pesky cabezon to grab on, I mean Chinook lol. I guess the tyee I graciously let swim away out at the hump forgot about our arrangement two days later to meet again in the pool... the crazy jumper was a cool sight same as the porpoises so not all was lost and what a beautiful night out in the pool rowing. Guess that leaves me with the saying I’ll be back yet again for me. Dang 2020 has sucked for me was hoping this was my silver lining. Really appreciate you getting me out again Dave next year is my year I feel it lol I’ll be watching the thread and day dreaming through here. I’m actually rooting for u maybe you will get the memory back on what those tyee like for rowing technique hahaha had to get one in.. good luck out there

Greetings this fine morning.

So, as is my usual custom I arose, did my usual morning things and then hooked up Buddy, my now 14 1/2 year old biscuit mooch and started our morning walk.

At around 37 pees and two good dumps........for Buddy, not me....... we arrived on the beach in front of the clubhouse.

Bob and Judy were sitting out front, enjoying the morning and I noted the board still had 30 and 30 on it.

Yesterday Bob and I had noticed that last year the first two Tyee came on the same day and then there were 16 days or so before the next, which made us wonder if we might be experiencing the same thing this year.

Buddy was busy licking the grass under the spot where you hang your fish for a photo, something Bob pointed out as we were chatting, which begged the question now in my mind.........why was there bloody grass there?.

This made me wonder about fish caught last night or this morning.....thinking under-sizes of course as the board hadn't changed..........so I asked if any had been weighed.

Bob grinned then pointed at the board. I looked more closely and by crackie there were two lines now instead of only one.

"Why still at 30 and 30,"I asked.

Bob grinned again and replied: "It was 30 lbs. and two ounces, that's why. Brett outdid himself by one ounce."

He then said it had been rowed by Brett Gardner with Ken Mar on the rod and took a plug.

Although I've now heard murmurings about Brett being a "fish hog" .....having rowed the first two Tyee this year.......... and some references to it being unsavory having a ringer like Ken on the oars, I discount all such rumors unless I start them myself, so I say.......

GOOD JOB!

Ken is a fine rower in his own right so it was great to see him actually boat one himself.

Here's their pic courtesy of the Tyee Club of BC.

KenMarTyee20.jpg

Take care.

Back