2020 Nanaimo Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
2016 was a **** year for me I went out 10 times in August and caught nothing. Not surprising that 2020 is slow.

Chinooks are practicing social distancing right now
Lets be real here, they are clearly just wearing masks. Today was sure a slop fest, blowing 20 kn for most of the morning, ended up pulling the plug a bit early and headed in around noon, no other boats left out there and for good reason. Typical nanaimo summer fishing, completely different than yesterday, zero coho, no real bite just one bite here and there, mostly unders with one keeper about 68cm on spoon 160'. Looks like we'll get this 20-25kn wind till tomorrow afternoon, hopefully get out again then.

Good job getting out there and kudos to your crew.
Thx, wouldn't usually take clients out in that unless they had lots of experience in rough seas. Had to cancel tomorrow morning tho, families with young kids and 20 knot winds don't mix.

Lets be real here, they are clearly just wearing masks. Today was sure a slop fest, blowing 20 kn for most of the morning, ended up pulling the plug a bit early and headed in around noon, no other boats left out there and for good reason. Typical nanaimo summer fishing, completely different than yesterday, zero coho, no real bite just one bite here and there, mostly unders with one keeper about 68cm on spoon 160'. Looks like we'll get this 20-25kn wind till tomorrow afternoon, hopefully get out again then.
Must be those N95 masks. Filtering everything.

After my weekend before in Nootka where I struck out by declaring no bait. I changed things up to exercise the demons. I locked my lures up and Went out with 8 cut plugs i prepped. 2 fish landed, 2 dogs, 1 lost, 1 mysterious missing plug, threw # 7 to the fish gods when i packed up and came home with the 8th. All in a span of 2 hours on Friday.

Thx, wouldn't usually take clients out in that unless they had lots of experience in rough seas. Had to cancel tomorrow morning tho, families with young kids and 20 knot winds don't mix.

it looked like Monday Am was shaping up ok, but now not so much?

Looking for some help. Im from Saskatchewan and I’m going to be working in Nanaimo for about a year. I bought a little aluminum and looking to get out on the ocean to find some cod and salmon. Any info on where and how to catch fish would be much appreciated!

Looking for some help. Im from Saskatchewan and I’m going to be working in Nanaimo for about a year. I bought a little aluminum and looking to get out on the ocean to find some cod and salmon. Any info on where and how to catch fish would be much appreciated!
Out around Entrance Island there’s good bottom structure for bottom fish as well as salmon but it may be too far for a solo fisher in a small aluminum boat

Out around Entrance Island there’s good bottom structure for bottom fish as well as salmon but it may be too far for a solo fisher in a small aluminum boat
Entrance and the outside of Snake can hold Lings, but I'm starting to think the lack of salmon opportunities over the last couple of years have had an impact on bottom fish numbers. My first choice for salmon at this time of year is definitely Entrance, but for a small aluminum (weather dependent) I've done fairly well off of Neck point usually in tight and usually on the North side. So far as how, the easiest thing to do is grab a jig (talk to the guys in Gone Fishin or Harbour Chandler for type/size) and start jigging. Getting downriggers, etc is IMO more effective for salmon, but far more gear/ technical. If you have a few $100 for a half decent sounder you can see the bait regardless of what you choose to do. Good luck!

Some good coho action out there right now, multiple double headers, some fat ones that hit like big springs. Actually had some take some runs and thought we finally got into a legal chinook! Nope. Some pinks as well and lots of undersized springs. Wind should be down for a few days so get out there!

Some good coho action out there right now, multiple double headers, some fat ones that hit like big springs. Actually had some take some runs and thought we finally got into a legal chinook! Nope. Some pinks as well and lots of undersized springs. Wind should be down for a few days so get out there!
Any of those clipped? Thanks in advance.

Tried targeting springs today and Holy undersized chinooks batman! Makes for good action but tough when your trying to find a keeper out there! Got into about 25 nooks this afternoon closer to shore, all smalls, mostly 30-50cm with 2 keepers in the mid 60's. All just off the bottom on spoons about 190. Tried a 6" plug to ward off the smalls but no love. No coho but wasn't out in the deeper water where they've been. And most have been unclipped with the odd clipped one. Lots of boats out there and a beauty afternoon hope others had some luck.

Slow tonight at Grande to Whalebone, just a couple of undersized. Did manage to grab a keeper at Thrasher in tight at 100’ feet of water.

Went out this evening for a quick birthday fish. Off the fingers. No birthday present for me. Pretty slow for us. Saw quite a few boats hook up. Few undersized and one pin popper that I lost. Wonder bread spoon got all the action. Daughter bought me it. Quite a few bait balls out there.

Saw a pod of Killer Whales from a distance. They were between Newcastle and Gabriola

Last edited:
Unreel/Salmon Slayer what sort of depth and how far on the riggers were you finding the coho? Any hatchery or were they all wild? Thinking about taking the kids out and it would be nice if there was a chance at a keeper.

Thx!

Tried targeting springs today and Holy undersized chinooks batman! Makes for good action but tough when your trying to find a keeper out there! Got into about 25 nooks this afternoon closer to shore, all smalls, mostly 30-50cm with 2 keepers in the mid 60's. All just off the bottom on spoons about 190. Tried a 6" plug to ward off the smalls but no love. No coho but wasn't out in the deeper water where they've been. And most have been unclipped with the odd clipped one. Lots of boats out there and a beauty afternoon hope others had some luck.
Got 1 in high 60’s tonight.... lost 2 pin poppers, one i suspect was a dog. As my whole hook set up disappeared. Second i had a novice guy with me and he didnt reel in the slack and pulled up on rod. Only fished cut plug again tonight and it seems to eliminate the shakers. Getting most my hook ups at 100’ halfway between the humps and fingers.

One too big (84) at entrance tonight and a bunch too small, and some doggies. Gotta find the father in law a keeper tomorrow. Where to fish?

Unreel/Salmon Slayer what sort of depth and how far on the riggers were you finding the coho? Any hatchery or were they all wild? Thinking about taking the kids out and it would be nice if there was a chance at a keeper.

Thx!
Have been finding the coho 125-180 down in 3-400 plus feet of water, from the fingers to neck. Theres always a chance at a keeper :D
Theres definitely some nice fish at entrance, not so much for coho i find tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back