In river netting pics

fishinforever

I know there was a thread about using drones and all that to capture the Fraser river slaughter, I hope it’s still in the works. I thought I would make a thread for all of us who have pictures of what in river netting can do to a run. Here’s one we’ve all seen from the somas and another from the gold. The hope of this thread is to spread awareness to the general public regarding the damage nets in our rivers can do.

Attachments

• FFB80CFB-DE96-4841-80EF-FE125A56880E.jpeg
    FFB80CFB-DE96-4841-80EF-FE125A56880E.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 292
Those pics are from authorized and legitimate FSC fisheries. That was a communal fishery where the fish were divided up and shared amoung the community members. I will go out on a limb and suggest that if you want to make an issue out of in-river fisheries, pick examples of illegal and unauthorized activity.

as usual - I always appreciate your careful, insightful and honest posts, searun.

For me: I really don't care if it was any type of those perceived "evil" nets - or hook and line - or dynamite: what matters is how many fish are taken in all fisheries as compared to what we want back on the spawning grounds.

I have pictures of the Musqueam Band in Vancouver stringing nets on pillars. Upon arriving back at the boat launch the nets were out of the water from the low tide... many sockeye left cooking in the air to rot. Horrible and lazy practice. Unattended nets should be illegal.

Those pics are from authorized and legitimate FSC fisheries. That was a communal fishery where the fish were divided up and shared amoung the community members. I will go out on a limb and suggest that if you want to make an issue out of in-river fisheries, pick examples of illegal and unauthorized activity.

Joke.

92AFF931-CAAD-4F6B-AA56-08746B2FF9B9.jpeg Musqueam band at work. 7-8 years ago when I last fished sockeye near Vancouver.... the sockeye were left hanging in low tide from nets strung on traditional pillars. Just cooked and rotting in the sun. Makes you think how fresh are the ones stuck in the nets underwater if they only pull them every 24 hours. Gross

To put it simply gill nets need to be banned regardless of the cultural background of the fisher. Just look at the disaster we have on our hands with stamp river summer runs, Thompson River steelhead, upper Fraser chinook and other weakend runs. While we can't repair the environmental devastation that has taken place in our watersheds, Ocean conditions, and a 150 years of over fishing we can control the impact on fish once they return to our waters.

I hope this makes the news!

Almost 10000 Fraser Chinook taken in the last few weeks while restrictions are in place for their protection. How many of our extinct sockeye and early steelhead/coho have been taken.
We are having daily netting from the canyon to the mouth, why are our stocks in trouble?

Something also to think about...our test fisheries operate daily. How many sturgeon and other species do they kill in a year for the sake of "science".

DFO is an absolute joke!

look at those rotting sturgeon on in the pic up above.. what a $hit show, ceremonial is just a excuse used to push the govt to give them back whatever they want.

"Stewards of the environment" vs. politicians with balls the size of beebees. I wouldn't be dropping $100K on a boat these days.

This should be all over the news, but no one will even look at it because of a fear that they will be considered racist. The nets have got to be removed from the river and a more selective, sustainable form of fishing implemented.

Back