Electric outboards

chris73

Anyone thought of trying one of the Torqeedo outboards or similar yet? They come up to 80hp now and have in the standard kicker range plenty options. I recall Andrew P. 's Minnkota kicker rig and that got me thinking. Such a Torqeedo kicker would be more like what we are all used to in terms of motor type and mounting, just super quiet and solar rechargeable. I am thinking about it. And if the kicker is a success story I wouldn't rule out the main engine too some day.

Anyone thought of trying one of the Torqeedo outboards or similar yet? They come up to 80hp now and have in the standard kicker range plenty options. I recall Andrew P. 's Minnkota kicker rig and that got me thinking. Such a Torqeedo kicker would be more like what we are all used to in terms of motor type and mounting, just super quiet and solar rechargeable. I am thinking about it. And if the kicker is a success story I wouldn't rule out the main engine too some day.

Solar rechargeable seems pretty far off, but if you are a weekend warrior with a boat house and lots of panels it might be perfect for trolling without much current for a small boat. Their 8hp equivalent looks pretty nice. Problem for me is I run electric down riggers, two screens, network and radar at times, I need an alternator to keep my electronics from draining my batteries. I would love the simplicity and quiet of Electric but currently I use too much current.

Cruise 4.0 with 1 x Power 48-5000
Speed in knots (km/h)* Range in nm (km)* Running time in hh:mm
Slow 2.7 (5,0) 27,0 (50,0) 10:00
Full throttle 7,0 (13,0) 9,0 (16,0) 01:15

https://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/products/outboards/cruise/cruise-4.0-r/M-1232-00.html

i tried to do a hybrid electric boat. didnt work out. electric motors dont have enough sustained oomph even with a bank of lifepo4s running them.

Anything more on Andrew P's longer term experience?

Last time I spoke to him earlier this year he was happy with his installation. He only fishes very locally on the Victoria waterfront and often with his young kids which naturally limits their time out there. So for him it works.

I found a dealer for the Torqeedos in Victoria and will have a longer chat with them about warranty and service and general experiences. Battery technology is improving week by week and its getting cheaper. So is solar tech. We must be close. And electric motors should have plenty more Oomph than combustion; just compare a Tesla with any gas sports car. I am intrigued.

Last time I spoke to him earlier this year he was happy with his installation. He only fishes very locally on the Victoria waterfront and often with his young kids which naturally limits their time out there. So for him it works.

I found a dealer for the Torqeedos in Victoria and will have a longer chat with them about warranty and service and general experiences. Battery technology is improving week by week and its getting cheaper. So is solar tech. We must be close. And electric motors should have plenty more Oomph than combustion; just compare a Tesla with any gas sports car. I am intrigued.
Keep us updated. The technology is getting very close.

try and match the oomph of a 115HP yammy pushing me at 30kts cruise on a 2 day trip for 250nm with a 10 minute charge cycle and we can talk. lol.

I think the technology is best suited for trolling, which I do 8 or 10 hours a day, not main motor, which I use for 1 to 2 hours in a typical day. So Andrew P's setup makes sense to me.

I like Andrew P's setup also but I think if I was a bass fishermen I would have to look at one of these.

Pure-Watercraft-Tracer-pro-team-175-txw-overhead-600x600.jpg

https://www.purewatercraft.com/product/tracker-pro-team-175-txw-bass-boat/

Back