Port Alberni Fishing

galspal

Hey everyone,

I’m getting ready to head out to China creek for 10 days and am bringing my boat out with me. I’ve only ever fished there with a guide so don’t really know the locations of all the spots listed in the fishing reports.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tight lines

Check out salmon university, lots a Barkley sound spots, do you plan to run out there?

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking I will be doing. Not sure how the fishing has been in the inlet itself.
Plus I’d love to pick up a hali or two over our stay

Check at the C.C. marina to see what's been happening close by. You may find fish right there. Look at your charts. If you head out the inlet, lots of guys fish the Pill Point /Diplock area. You can head down Imperial Eagle to Swale Rock and then further to Meares Bluff on Effingham Island. Nearby, Cree Island often has fish. Over towards Bamfield, you can fish Kirby Point and Sandford Island, then to the Bamfield Wall. You can fish all the way out to Cape Beale and then back up Trevor Channel to Sarita. It's a big area so watch the other boats to get a better idea of what's going on.

Reports from Barkley are slow slow. Unless reports improve, might be just as good to fish the inlet and try for some early ones staging. Unless you are up for sightseeing. Barkley much more scenic than the inlet for sure and worth the day exploring for sure.

Here’s a suggestion. The inlet will not have many springs in it until at least Aug 10-13. Take a day and go out into the sound if you have a decent boat (with VHF, etc). It’s beautiful out there and there should be fish starting to show more now. The outer edges will be best until mid month but you stand a decent chance of finding fish at Pill point, Diplock Island, Bamfield Wall without travelling the extra miles to the outside. Or go further if you wish! Once you see it on a sunny day, you will prefer it over the inlet. Be aware that it can be foggy out there in the mornings and there can be a nasty wind chop on the inlet in the afternoons due to the thermal winds. Waves up to 3-4 feet. At least you will be running with the chop as you return to China Creek. Enjoy!

Back