Penn Battle 2 vs Spinfisher

Battle 2 vs Spinfisher

• Total voters

TERRANCE YOUNG

I'm in the market to upgrade to a nicer spinning reel and I've narrowed the search down to the Penn Battle 2 6000 ($162) and the Penn Spinfisher 5500 ($196) from Pacific Net and Twine.

Spinfisher 5500 stats:
BRAID CAPACITY YD/LB 500/20 380/30 335/40
MAX DRAG LB 25lb | 11.3kg
GEAR RATIO 5.6:1
WEIGHT 18.50

Battle 2 6000 stats:
BRAID CAPACITY YD/LB 490/30 390/40 335/50
MAX DRAG LB 25lb | 11.3kg
GEAR RATIO 5.6:1
WEIGHT 22.1

It look like the Spinfisher is lighter and has the sealed gearbox but I would like to know if anyone has any experience or would recommend one over the other, for any reason. If you know any other options for a similiar size reel for under $200 please let me know!

I've had them both and both are nice reels. Depends on your budget and how much you plan to use it I guess. If the extra 35 bucks isn't going to kill you get the Spinfisher.....it is noticeably smaller and more comfortable on the rod.

I'm a huge fan of the Battle ll.
I have the 2000 for coho and a 5000 for halibut.
Awesome reels.

Oh ya forgot to mention that the Diawa BG series is also an excellent reel in that price range. Some say even better....

https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&sxsrf=ALeKk009HsuwWlKSuVqxy9-YJd28W4diLQ:1596760091385&source=hp&ei=G6AsX9L2FIPbtQbJk6XACQ&q=daiwa+bg+vs+penn+battle&oq=diawa+bg+vs&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgAMgQIABAKMgQIABAKMgQIABAKMgQIABAKMgQIABAKMgQIABAKMgQIABAKMgQIABAKMgQIABAKMgQIABAKOgcIIxDqAhAnOgQIIxAnOgsILhCxAxDHARCjAjoICC4QsQMQgwE6CAgAELEDEIMBOgIIADoFCAAQsQM6DgguELEDEIMBEMcBEKMCOg4ILhCxAxDHARCvARCTAjoCCC46BQguELEDOgcIIxCxAhAnUIYWWIleYNJ6aABwAHgAgAHlAogBhhSSAQcwLjguMS4zmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdperABCg&sclient=psy-ab

Try to check out whatever you choose in person. The two (Diawa and Penn) model number to actual sizes are not the same. I can't remember which was bigger and which was smaller. I'd just buy one of each on Amazon and return the one you don't want. ;)

Last edited:
I have both, can't go wrong with either. My next reels will be more spinfisher's, I have landed a ton of fish from many worldly places on them. There are NO other options, I am a Penn only guy. Not to be a dick but that Battle 2 6000 is $139.99 right now at Cabelas Canada, sure anyone will match for a sale.

HM

I have both, can't go wrong with either. My next reels will be more spinfisher's, I have landed a ton of fish from many worldly places on them. There are NO other options, I am a Penn only guy. Not to be a dick but that Battle 2 6000 is $139.99 right now at Cabelas Canada, sure anyone will match for a sale.

HM
Appreciate the info and heads up on the deal at Cabela's!

Haven't played with the Spinfisher but own two Battle II's. They are strong. Heavier bail wire than many. I use the 5000 for salmon and rockfish. Go to think the 6000 is huge. The only thing with the Battle II is that you can't reel backwards.

Would a Battle II handle a tuna? I am looking to add a spinning setup to my collection but I also need more rods for tuna fishing would be nice if this setup could do double duty....
Absolutely. I have a large Battle II. It’s on a surf casting rod. It could be used for anything blue water ish. My buddy has one down in Bermuda and has brought in everything from Barricuda, sharks,tuna etc.

Haven't played with the Spinfisher but own two Battle II's. They are strong. Heavier bail wire than many. I use the 5000 for salmon and rockfish. Go to think the 6000 is huge. The only thing with the Battle II is that you can't reel backwards.
I thought I was the only person who cared about reverse...but anyway the Spinfisher VI long cast will do reverse; I don't think the other big Spinfishers will.

I have penn battle 4000. Great little reel for salmon and ling Great jigging reel
Also have Daiwa BG 5000. Pulled some serious yellowtail and yellowfin tuna off mexico. This is a beast of a reel. No spinfisher yet. Looking for the 4000-4500 class for next buy

Would a Battle II handle a tuna? I am looking to add a spinning setup to my collection but I also need more rods for tuna fishing would be nice if this setup could do double duty....
Not sure about the battle 2, cant see why not. I can guarantee the spinfisher 4500 and 5500 can handle tuna up to 60 lbs, mahi mahi, trevally, mackerel and more 80-100lbs sails in a day than I can.

MB

I've seen them used on small school sized yellow fin and skipjack with no problem.
I've got a Penn Fierce 6000 with a Carnage II rod that I've caught YFT up to 28lbs and yellow tail up to 16lbs and never felt under ginned at all so albacore would be fine paired with the right rod would be fine for the Battle II.

I have no first hand knowledge on Battle's, do know with the spinfishers I have had no issues after years of use and that's in the real salty water.

HM

Back