Boat Handling Suggestions.

^ This^

Comes down to hull shape. Even in reverse the whole hulls shape matters from bow to stern. Why you will hear Kingfisher putting bow thrusters on even their smaller model boats while other manufactures with deeper sharper V hulls don't need or recommend them. I too had a Kingfisher; a 2525 and had this same issue and it was the main reason I traded it in. Not just in marina's but tracking while trolling on a tack it got blown all over the place very very easily.

You'll have to get used to over thrusting in reverse to control the stern where you want it to go then let off the throttle quickly then get on it again quickly. Use your outboard as the rudder and thrust er to aim where you want to go.

Pics from the boat show showing how shallow and bathtub shaped the Kingfisher hulls are compared to North Rivers of the same size:

North River's
View attachment 55545

Kingfisher's
View attachment 55546

Yes Weldcraft definitely have an awesome hull design on them.

All good stuff guys. Unfortunately at my marina/ launch the prevailing winds are from the West and you have no choice when launching but to back away from the ramp in a cross wind. And you must back away and tie up. Some days it’s not bad and not crowded you can turn and drive forward to tie up but this is not always available.

When I launch, generally I spin the boat around and put the bow out to sea. Hand the bow line to someone on the dock and use the momentum coming off the trailer, they just keep walking until the stern comes around and back to the dock. That way those trying to land can tell what my plan is, and in your case you wouldn't need to back out with the wind broadsiding you.

same situation as getting off the dock in squamish in the afternoon,
You got that right! We have a single v drive and we tie up stern to the inflow wind. If I know I’m going to go out anytime other than first thing in the morning, I’ll go down early and move the boat to an easier slip to depart from, otherwise we are not getting out without getting blown into something.

My moorage faces directly broadside to the SW wind and a strong afternoon flood tide. In extreme conditions my only option to get away from the dock is to have someone hold the bow line around the dock tie block while I crank the helm into it and hit it with reverse...once I get the butt end facing the wind and flow I tell the person to let her go...fetch the docking line once I clear the docks.

Try doing anything with a jet boat. It’s so bad I use the kicker which doesn’t work great because with me in the back on one side running it the bow is high and light so gets blown around. I’m going to buy a new bow mount trolling motor. I had one on it and it worked like a champ for control.

Although my blood pressure will always rise around the dock, this is making me feel a lot better that I'm not the only one. Weird what happens when people talk about issues....... Great input on here!

currents and winds are the worst at new moorages. the ones we are conditioned to make us feel like pros. lol.

When I am at a new marina I am extremely picky when negotiating for a spot. Marina operators must hate me at that moment but believe me they will congratulate me when I ease in and out each day without any harm. But as some have said here, with a little bit of planning and basic physics and some common sense you can make your life a whole lot easier than just jumping in, hitting the throttle and see what goes - or not.

over the years that i have boated i have learned a couple of things that have made backing a boat easier. for me make sure your trim tabs are fully up or at least the same height. having one down lower bites in can cause you a little grief going backwards. the other is tilt your motor up a little higher so your prop wash is going down under your hull, not against your hull as the prop wash against the hull will swing your hull around. lastly if that don't work bumper up. give it a try

over the years that i have boated i have learned a couple of things that have made backing a boat easier. for me make sure your trim tabs are fully up or at least the same height. having one down lower bites in can cause you a little grief going backwards. the other is tilt your motor up a little higher so your prop wash is going down under your hull, not against your hull as the prop wash against the hull will swing your hull around. lastly if that don't work bumper up. give it a try

I wonder if it would be effective to use one of your trim tabs to counter the action of the prop walk or wind when reversing? Would it create enough force at low speed?

When I launch, generally I spin the boat around and put the bow out to sea. Hand the bow line to someone on the dock and use the momentum coming off the trailer, they just keep walking until the stern comes around and back to the dock. That way those trying to land can tell what my plan is, and in your case you wouldn't need to back out with the wind broadsiding you.

Nice when people know what they're doing. I launched in the dark on Wed. morning. Guys that launch at that time of day are usually excellent at getting things done. Six boats out of two slots in less than 5 minutes.

If conditions are right my twins make me look like a star. When the wind is up its not pretty. A bow thruster looks like an interesting winter project.

Back