Boat Handling Suggestions.

The problem w driving aggressively - is that your mistakes are similarly aggressive and quick. Often too quick to get bumpers out and in the right place. If your engine stalls or fails to go into reverse quick enough - damage will likely occur - and not only to your boat. I've seen this happen a few times to other people. Not always the best choice.

park it like its hot.
This is so key. On the old bayliner it was a single screw on a sail of a boat. Way too light and high out of the water. I always found I had to go four or five boats beyond my spot then back straight up towards my spot gaining momentum for the "swing". One hard turn to starboard to get the bow swinging to port and then as soon as I was parrallel to my slip I'd just hammer it straight back. The momentum already created from that first step pushed me right against the slip every time. On the Commander I have to back down over 200' to my slip, I probably wouldn't attempt that with the old boat.

The problem w driving aggressively - is that your mistakes are similarly aggressive and quick. Often too quick to get bumpers out and in the right place. If your engine stalls or fails to go into reverse quick enough - damage will likely occur - and not only to your boat. I've seen this happen a few times to other people. Not always the best choice.
Haha this is also key :eek:

I had a kingfisher 2825 for a couple years and around the dock it was like an elephant on roller skates. It was a single and it had a thruster so it was manageable, but the issue with the kingfisher was that it got blown around like crazy due to the fact that there isn't much boat in the water. The V is so shallow that you really are at the mercy of the wind. Had no issues with a NorthRiver 29 due to the much deeper V.

You really are just at the mercy of the wind in the smaller lighter shallow V boats. Best advice is try to have a buddy with you in the front who can fend off as you transit the tight marinas in reverse in the wind.

Aggressively is relative to boat operator proficiency.
Aggressive being the opposite from passive.

My aggressive is way different from most peoples.
That's okay, since my sphincter knows this and messages me appropriately.

I try and find a log boom in current to practice docking in a new to me boat.
Lots of practice to find where that boat swings from.

Glad your sphincter knows your proficiency, GS. Must be quite the conversation.

Yes, of course - safety and boat operations (preparedness, navigation, maneuvering, anchoring, beaching, tying-up, etc.) are related to proficiency thru experience. Sometimes that comes thru mistakes and/or seeing others mistakes. And lets face it - almost nobody expects to make mistakes nor expects engine failures and the like - esp. when you really need your engine. But it happens...

So I try to avoid the situations where I can see potential problems. There's already enough excitement and unknown problems to keep any ADHD person engaged and alert on boats. I try to think of what can go wrong and whether or not I am prepared for those problems while I am driving and dodging logs. That's why I have things like an extra anchor, spare fuses, tools, flares, waterproof handheld VHF, spare handheld GPS w charts, tow line, extra gas, extra water & grub, extra prop, and the like. Those issues can be foreseen and mitigated. Some issues cannot. Being cautious doesn't mean passive, neither. It means being smart & experienced, IMHO.

I like your suggestion of using log booms to practice on. Same idea as using a buoy.

Unless you have twin screws or a bow thruster, most boats don’t really back up with a ton of control.
Less throttle in reverse also means less transverse thrust (or prop torque as some here have called it) which will pull the stern to one side or the other. Usually to Port with a right hand turning prop or to starboard with a left hand turning prop. However, the less way you are making the more susceptible you are to the elements, so it’s kind of give and take, enough juice to make reasonable way through the water, but not so much that transverse thrust takes over. Once a single screw boat starts turning one way or the other in reverse, most times the only way to stop it is to go ahead with opposite rudder to sort it out. I’m sure most have experienced backing up and the boats stern is going to port even though they are hard to starboard.
Coming in hot looks cool until you run out of talent, and you will, one day. And if you come in hot and hit the dock because the linkage broke that puts it in reverse, or the steering fails, or the engine stalls, the extra damage done by coming in hot instead of easy is still on you because something will break, one day.
There’s not really an easy answer for windage and current. If you don’t have to back in, don’t on those days. Maybe go in bow first and get a line on and turn it around at it’s berth. I’d rather crab in almost sideways going super slow in and out of gear ahead than try to muscle something in backwards, which I admit looks cool, until it doesn’t.
My dad had a 42’ mahogany boat years ago, one engine failed and it had to go down a long tight finger dock and then back into position. We had a small rubber dingy and used it like a tug on the bow, worked great, so there’s always that in horrible conditions if necessary.
There might be a day where you decide you just can’t go in due to conditions and you’ll have to tie up somewhere else or anchor. Less shame in that than doing damage!
Sounds to me like it’s not you Walleyes, it’s just the reality of the way your boat backs up. In my opinion learning how to control a boat using only dead slow ahead or astern at the dock is the way to go, with extra throttle being reserved for challenging conditions.
Those silly videos of east coast crab boats in high throttle “dock like a boss” competitions are best left for competitions where coming in hot and bumping the pilings isn’t embarrassing like it would be anywhere else.

Short of installing a bow thruster or a bow skeg, not sure there's much of a solution other than having someone on the bow with an oar?

Unless you have twin screws or a bow thruster, most boats don’t really back up with a ton of control.
Less throttle in reverse also means less transverse thrust (or prop torque as some here have called it) which will pull the stern to one side or the other. Usually to Port with a right hand turning prop or to starboard with a left hand turning prop. However, the less way you are making the more susceptible you are to the elements, so it’s kind of give and take, enough juice to make reasonable way through the water, but not so much that transverse thrust takes over. Once a single screw boat starts turning one way or the other in reverse, most times the only way to stop it is to go ahead with opposite rudder to sort it out. I’m sure most have experienced backing up and the boats stern is going to port even though they are hard to starboard.
Coming in hot looks cool until you run out of talent, and you will, one day. And if you come in hot and hit the dock because the linkage broke that puts it in reverse, or the steering fails, or the engine stalls, the extra damage done by coming in hot instead of easy is still on you because something will break, one day.
There’s not really an easy answer for windage and current. If you don’t have to back in, don’t on those days. Maybe go in bow first and get a line on and turn it around at it’s berth. I’d rather crab in almost sideways going super slow in and out of gear ahead than try to muscle something in backwards, which I admit looks cool, until it doesn’t.
My dad had a 42’ mahogany boat years ago, one engine failed and it had to go down a long tight finger dock and then back into position. We had a small rubber dingy and used it like a tug on the bow, worked great, so there’s always that in horrible conditions if necessary.
There might be a day where you decide you just can’t go in due to conditions and you’ll have to tie up somewhere else or anchor. Less shame in that than doing damage!
Sounds to me like it’s not you Walleyes, it’s just the reality of the way your boat backs up. In my opinion learning how to control a boat using only dead slow ahead or astern at the dock is the way to go, with extra throttle being reserved for challenging conditions.
Those silly videos of east coast crab boats in high throttle “dock like a boss” competitions are best left for competitions where coming in hot and bumping the pilings isn’t embarrassing like it would be anywhere else.

I came into Horseshoe Bay a bit hot once, found my spot on the dock and lined up the boat for a sweet landing.
Put the gear into reverse, heard a bang and the engine started racing.
Boat was not slowing down. Luckily the boat dead ahead was a tug with lots of good fendering.
Turned out the shaft failed half an inch in front of the prop.
It was a newish prop that was not balanced correctly and it fatigued the shaft to the point of failure.
This event set up the 'hot line' between my brain and my sphincter, never wanted to be surprised in a situation like that again.

This is all force vectors. Wind, current, transverse thrust (sounds naughty), rudders impacting thrust vectors etc.
You may think I am being flip with the sphincter concept, but it tells me which force is becoming dominant and especially I do not control that force, ie current/wind.

I like the part about running out of talent. Everyday on the water presents a unique combination of elements.
Complacency and over confidence result in 'accidents'.

I've docked quite a few boats of different sizes and propulsion units quite a few times backing-up. Admittedly, it's not the preferred option - and you need to know how your boat operates. Twin screws, and/or bow thrusters make docking easier. I find twin outboards also good @ maneuvering, as well. Being able to turn your leg one side or the other helps.

However: current in a river, or the fact that other boats are tied-up facing one direction and you need to fit in, and/or windage can make that choice for you. If you know your boat and how it operates and drifts - it can be fairly easy to back into a dock. I try to get one corner of the stern almost touching and find a cleat/bollard and then use my engines and the mooring lines to make parking easy. You can tie off short on a stern line and throttle forward and use the engine to bring the bow into the dock for you. Alternatively - you can use a forward spring to do the same. Or maybe both. That way you stay in control and attached to the dock. No surprises that way. Easy-peasy.

Last edited:
Getting more weight up front will help getting more traction. And as Tugcaptain said, try forward as much as possible.

All good stuff guys. Unfortunately at my marina/ launch the prevailing winds are from the West and you have no choice when launching but to back away from the ramp in a cross wind. And you must back away and tie up. Some days it’s not bad and not crowded you can turn and drive forward to tie up but this is not always available.

I was just looking at an aerial view of my marina and the biggest issue I had the other day was do to the fact we had an odd wind, it was a south, south east wind which worked perfectly pushing my bow to starboard and into the boats along side in their slips. Like I say I didn’t hit anybody I was able to gain control and I spun the bow around and headed forward but in doing that the butt end slid around and it came close to tagging some nice hoods in some new 250 Verados parked there, I would hate to pay for those lol. What made matters worse is as I was unloading a fellow pulled up to fuel up and as I came along him I pushed off his boat and this just added to my situation, not only did I have to turn but I had to watch not to tag his boat at the pump as well. In the pics posted there just happens to be a boat tied up at the fuel pumps just off the ramps this was the situation I was in not that easy to squeeze a 24’ hull through there when someone is fuelling up.

50196651367_bf020ebaf7_c.jpg

50195842173_cb3ebe0c12_c.jpg

Last edited:
All good stuff guys. Unfortunately at my marina/ launch the prevailing winds are from the West and you have no choice when launching but to back away from the ramp in a cross wind. And you must back away and tie up. Some days it’s not bad and not crowded you can turn and drive forward to tie up but this is not always available.

I was just looking at an aerial view of my marina and the biggest issue I had the other day was do to the fact we had an odd wind, it was a south, south east wind which worked perfectly pushing my bow to starboard and into the boats along side in their slips. Like I say I didn’t hit anybody I was able to gain control and I spun the bow around and headed forward but in doing that the butt end slid around and it came close to tagging some nice hoods in some new 250 Verados parked there, I would hate to pay for those lol. What made matters worse is as I was unloading a fellow pulled up to fuel up and as I came along him I pushed off his boat and this just added to my situation, not only did I have to turn but I had to watch not to tag his boat at the pump as well. In the pics posted there just happens to be a boat tied up at the fuel pumps just off the ramps this was the situation I was in not that easy to squeeze a 24’ hull through there when someone is fuelling up.

50196651367_bf020ebaf7_c.jpg

50195842173_cb3ebe0c12_c.jpg

That would be tough on power alone.
Hold the bow to the dock, let the stern swing out, have a spring line on mid stbd side, pull boat in on stbd side with spring line to ramp dock, step aboard and depart like a champ!
Handling boats in tight quarters with lines is a good time to be passive.

if you dont have a bow thruster you need to add a bow mount trolling motor like an ulterra with quick remote deploy. backup with the bow mount trolling motor, leave the main in neutral ready to push you forward if needed. ive dumped some northstar 103Ah AGMs into my KF. Really helps with the added weight so it sits deeper.
heres what is should look like on full trim at cruise if you have it balanced correctly :
x1p9doizqu751.jpg

if you dont have a bow thruster you need to add a bow mount trolling motor like an ulterra with quick remote deploy. backup with the bow mount trolling motor, leave the main in neutral ready to push you forward if needed. ive dumped some northstar 103Ah AGMs into my KF. Really helps with the added weight so it sits deeper.
heres what is should look like on full trim at cruise if you have it balanced correctly :
x1p9doizqu751.jpg

Yah I’m not sure weight is the big issue here. It’s a fully inclosed cabin, with a rear helm, 200 hp 4 stroke with a 15 pro kicker beside it. On top of that my boat has a full 1/4” hull bottom which puts it even heavier than factory spec. And they aren’t exactly a flat lake boat either, they are running 16 deg dead rise not steep but not a bass boat lol.

Last edited:
I had a kingfisher 2825 for a couple years and around the dock it was like an elephant on roller skates. It was a single and it had a thruster so it was manageable, but the issue with the kingfisher was that it got blown around like crazy due to the fact that there isn't much boat in the water. The V is so shallow that you really are at the mercy of the wind. Had no issues with a NorthRiver 29 due to the much deeper V.

You really are just at the mercy of the wind in the smaller lighter shallow V boats. Best advice is try to have a buddy with you in the front who can fend off as you transit the tight marinas in reverse in the wind.

^ This^

Comes down to hull shape. Even in reverse the whole hulls shape matters from bow to stern. Why you will hear Kingfisher putting bow thrusters on even their smaller model boats while other manufactures with deeper sharper V hulls don't need or recommend them. I too had a Kingfisher; a 2525 and had this same issue and it was the main reason I traded it in. Not just in marina's but tracking while trolling on a tack it got blown all over the place very very easily.

You'll have to get used to over thrusting in reverse to control the stern where you want it to go then let off the throttle quickly then get on it again quickly. Use your outboard as the rudder and thrust er to aim where you want to go.

Pics from the boat show showing how shallow and bathtub shaped the Kingfisher hulls are compared to North Rivers of the same size:

North River's
51497658_559448911223352_615111528072347648_o.jpg

Kingfisher's
52332979_559448881223355_6317556249969819648_o.jpg

Put some serious trim out when you want to reverse. You will find that you have better control when you have a pod on your boat. At least that's what I found on mine that was useless at backing up.

Back