Boat Handling Suggestions.

walleyes

Crew Member
Ok guys I need some advice and help. I need some pointers in how to control bow drift or slide as I’m reversing my boat with a cross wind. The issue was really bad with my last boat but even with the new one it has quite a bit of sale. I had a bit of a show at the marina today but I was able to gain control and avoid touching any other boats but not without some,, well you know embarrassing scenes lol.

It’s doesn’t seem to matter what I do when ever I’m reversing any distance and have to maintain a straight narrow path if there’s any sort of a cross wind and my bow starts to slide what the heck do you do to correct it. I’ve tried to look on line to no avail I can not find an answer to my problem.

I would really appreciate some help with this.

Some boats really don't like to behave going backwards!
One trick we learned with one of the earlier family boats (40' converted trawler) was to not hesitate to re-position if it starts to get squirrelly - i.e back for as much as possible, when the bow starts to get out of line, go forward enough to straighten up, go back again - repeat as necessary. Sometimes it was 3ft forward for every 10 back. The other trick (for that one at least, it was a heavy bugger) was take your time and try and avoid the temptation to throttle it out - the old saying of "never approach a dock faster than you want to hit it" used to apply.

TBR,, I have quite a few pics of it up it’s a new purchase but it’s an issue I’ve fought with on my last boat as well.

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-new-ride.82375/

Mayday, approaching a dock is not an issue nor is handling a boat in general for me but this sure is an issue I’ve been fighting with the last while well the last two boats I’ve had that have had some sail to them. I’ve read online that the prop torque can have an effect on this as well not just a cross wind. I’m quite surprised the new boat is doing it as it’s not a big boat by any means. This is what has me thinking it’s just something I am doing wrong.

For me, I had to accept there are limitations to my abilities and adjust for the twist force of my single duo prop, which is not equivalent port to starboard. Now on approach, I always stop about 100' out and let the boat sit for 30 seconds so I can see how it is going to behave near the dock with tide, wind and any other influences which will affect my docking result. I go so damn slow in now and its only a 26' boat, but once it gets sideways it is hard as hell to get back into alignment so I go with my prestaging and have at it before its gonna cost me another trip to the gel coat dude.

you have to reverse in an S shape. think of reversing a trailer and stay ahead of it. also look into bow thrusters.
edit: didnt realise it was a KF. those are weight sensitive. post a pic of it on plane trimmed out from the back deck at 4k rpm cruise showing the wake and motor and i can see if it looks good.

Last edited:
Finding a location where you can hang a couple tassels on ur bow and stern can also help with knowing exactly what the wind is doing. (Temporarily of cousre) The marina I go to has big flag pole and flag which really helps me before I pull into the dock.

A few good suggestions already posted,but don't beat yourself up over it,as Mayday said a lot of boats (or most) don't behave well in reverse.Your single engine will pull to port when in reverse,but depending on the wind it may not respond well at all.As said before do your corrections in forward and take your time,you should be able to get out of trouble in forward ,not in reverse.Forward is for steering,reverse is for stopping in other words.

Last edited:
Its a bit hard to give advice without seeing the exact situation in person. But, you have way less control in reverse, especially if your going slow and giving minimal throttle. and those kf are very light and susceptible to being blown around easily. But even if you have light wind but a solid current can be enough to push you off course. And the slower you are going and the less throttle you are applying, the less control you have. When im leaving the launch ramp and have to reverse down the center with boats on each side, im on the gas, the slower im going the more ill be pushed to the side by current or wind and the less affect my steering inputs will have. More throttle will give you more control.

I appreciate the input. By the sounds of it there is no exact cure for this just keep at it and practice. From what I have read which what one can find is limited it aligns with what Unreel stated. That in reverse and little throttle we lose control and if possible add throttle.
Again, thanks people.

Funny I've been thinking about something that would help here as my boat does the same thing but I've had the boat so long I know how to keep it under control. I was thinking about solving a different problem but the fix for that would help here too. I hat how fast my boat drifts off course in s stiff wind while trolling. Without the auto pilot it is a pain to check the 3 lines in the wind and keep the boat going where you want it too. Wondering why there isn't a bow mounted pivoting rudder that could be lowered into the water while moving at slower speeds to act not only as a forward rudder to work in conjunction with the engines but also act as a keel to keep the bow from being pushed around. (would keep it planted) Thinking of an aluminum setup that would take a hydraulic cylinder with a valve so that once you need it...... you lower it, turn the valve and it would now turn with the helm. When done with it it retracts up out of the water and pivots to a position out of the way.

Funny I've been thinking about something that would help here as my boat does the same thing but I've had the boat so long I know how to keep it under control. I was thinking about solving a different problem but the fix for that would help here too. I hat how fast my boat drifts off course in s stiff wind while trolling. Without the auto pilot it is a pain to check the 3 lines in the wind and keep the boat going where you want it too. Wondering why there isn't a bow mounted pivoting rudder that could be lowered into the water while moving at slower speeds to act not only as a forward rudder to work in conjunction with the engines but also act as a keel to keep the bow from being pushed around. (would keep it planted) Thinking of an aluminum setup that would take a hydraulic cylinder with a valve so that once you need it...... you lower it, turn the valve and it would now turn with the helm. When done with it it retracts up out of the water and pivots to a position out of the way.

I've been thinking the same thing!

Planing hulls are poor in reverse due to the flat stern and lack of keel. A boat like yours will act like a pendulum in reverse, effectively "hanging" from the motor. This is a crude analogy though because there are other factors at play here such as the prop torque causing a pull in one direction, and also the interaction of water flow and propeller wash on the forward portions of the hull. The water will follow up the hull towards the bow, and if the motor is turned one way the propeller wash will follow one side of the bow more than the other.

You can't do much about the windage of the boat. There are some great suggestions above, like @ab1752 suggesting that you pause before entering the marina to assess the current and wind. Also @Rain City suggesting that you always back TOWARD the wind.

In addition to the above suggestions, I recommend lots of practice to learn the feel for the boat. When I was a kid I used log booms to practice against....the boom edge was low so that the boat sides wouldn't be damaged with inadvertent crashes!

well best thing is dont go backwards ... want to learn how to move,,,, try a inboard shaft drive.......
you have got an out board with a leg if your docking then lots of fenders or just pull your self in ...

Most boats respond to excessive windage by having the bow pushed downwind since the prop, leg and engine (& weight) are most often in the stern creating drag and the bow is lighter & higher out of the water and more prone to being moved by wind.

If there is excessive windage (or even current sometimes)- often one can come in stern first -as Rain City pointed out. It is a little trickier as Rayvon posted - but really not that bad. Small engine thrusts seem to work the best for me in those situations - and keeping some momentum going backwards. You may have to slightly & gradually change the direction your prop is pointing as your boat twists.

Sometimes it pays to practice this maneuver next to a buoy where there is no traffic/boats around so there is no accidents if it is a bit tricky to try the 1st time. Always is helpful to instinctively know how your boat responds - and it's length.

If you can back up and get your stern quarter against the dock where there is a cleat/bollard you can tie-off to - you can then use your mooring lines (e.g. springs or stern lines) and your engine (now in forward thrust) to walk your boat into a parallel position alongside the dock & hold it there until you finish tying it up.

Last edited:
Develop an intimate relationship with your sphincter.
It will tell you when things are about to go pear shaped.
Start listening to it sooner.

Best suggestions above are steer in forward, stop in reverse.
Put your bow into the dock aggressively.
Figure out the rate of prop walk and use that to pull in your stern to the dock.

This will help you develop a 'preferred side' to dock and the 'sphincter side' to dock.

Back