Opinions on this one

Looks pretty good. Seller lists a lot of good maintenance/refurbishment (including the main engine exhaust issue)...so that's good. However, the pictures show quite a few painted (gel coat??) patches on the chines and the transom so you'd want to learn what's going on there. No interior pics obviously. And the cockpit pics show grey paint on the deck. I'm prety sure that boat would've had an aluminum tank from the factory, so you should ask why/when/how the tank was replaced.

From what I recall these Whalers ride rough.

Are you familiar with Whalers? The hull has a unique construction method and there are specific issues to be mindful of. I'm curious what caused the owner to replace the drain tubes, and also if there's evidence of wet foam or delamination.

Also, it doesn't seem to be set up for trolling for salmon at the moment. It does have the small hinge mounts for Scotty riggers, but tthey're waaaayyyyyyyy aft on the gunnels. Would be a PITA to operate the riggers back there. Not sure how the kicker is controlled either.

Back in the day, that was my "wish list" boat... be cautious of wet foam!

Yup those hull style of whalers are quite stable but boy do they pound in the chop as they don't have a deep enough deep v in the bow to cut through the waves. Otherwise can be a nice boat. Get a suspension seat if you have a bad back.

Looks pretty good. Seller lists a lot of good maintenance/refurbishment (including the main engine exhaust issue)...so that's good. However, the pictures show quite a few painted (gel coat??) patches on the chines and the transom so you'd want to learn what's going on there. No interior pics obviously. And the cockpit pics show grey paint on the deck. I'm prety sure that boat would've had an aluminum tank from the factory, so you should ask why/when/how the tank was replaced.

From what I recall these Whalers ride rough.

Are you familiar with Whalers? The hull has a unique construction method and there are specific issues to be mindful of. I'm curious what caused the owner to replace the drain tubes, and also if there's evidence of wet foam or delamination.

Also, it doesn't seem to be set up for trolling for salmon at the moment. It does have the small hinge mounts for Scotty riggers, but tthey're waaaayyyyyyyy aft on the gunnels. Would be a PITA to operate the riggers back there. Not sure how the kicker is controlled either.
Ok very valid points thank you, not sure how your gonna run a down riggers way back of the boat like that

Those whalers did pound a bit but man super stable. I did some guiding out of the same hull and honestly it was great for semi protected waters. I think there certainly is value there depending on where you fish. Late 80’s this was a pretty serious fishing machine......oh **** i dated myself

Back