2020 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Thanks.

Been a real tough 3 days inside. Tried Beale, Cree, Meares, Kirby, Swale. We have couple teenage springs and a coho.

We fished Kirby on Friday evening, went 4 for 9 on springs, needle fish hootchies were working at 80ft. Nothing big 12-18lbs.
Bright silver, 3 hatchery
Off shore next 2 days for bottom fish, got our lings and big seabass, released 1(and only)big hali, that was hard to do regs are fked! Lol
Seas were as perfect as you can ask for
Fished yesterday from Kirby to Edward King, then over to Cree,caught a few shaker springs at cree and saw 2 nice springs taken at cree.
Tried swale on way in ,soo much crap in water all around there didnt stay long.
Good trip,best sea conditions for any trip ive been there.

We fished Kirby on Friday evening, went 4 for 9 on springs, needle fish hootchies were working at 80ft. Nothing big 12-18lbs.
Bright silver, 3 hatchery
Off shore next 2 days for bottom fish, got our lings and big seabass, released 1(and only)big hali, that was hard to do regs are fked! Lol
Seas were as perfect as you can ask for
Fished yesterday from Kirby to Edward King, then over to Cree,caught a few shaker springs at cree and saw 2 nice springs taken at cree.
Tried swale on way in ,soo much crap in water all around there didnt stay long.
Good trip,best sea conditions for any trip ive been there.

sounds like things have slowed down again on the inside! Friend was out yesterday and landed 1 12lb spring and some shakers. 8 hours on the water.

I am just packing up for my first trip to Bamfield in 20 years with my 14 year old. He would love to have crab one night for dinner and where around Bamfield for Crab fishing or should I just leave the traps at home? Really appreciate any suggestions and/or areas to try. If you prefer please PM me.

Thanks for the info but it does not say anything about crab fishing on this site. Last time I fished Bamfield I thought that I did not even bother to bring any crab traps as was really hard to find them and not worth the problem.

Thanks for the info but it does not say anything about crab fishing on this site. Last time I fished Bamfield I thought that I did not even bother to bring any crab traps as was really hard to find them and not worth the problem.
It’s worth bringing them. Lots of places to get crabs in the sound

FWIW - We brought traps and gut skunked in a little bay just east of Beale - about 3 bays over.
I think we were in the wrong spot though - there was another bay that seemed to have more traps.
I did see someone on the dock enjoying a nice little crab feast!

Of note: we caught an absolute monster cabezon. Not sure if it is a record size for Barkley Sound but I haven't ever seen one that size before. Its head was so solid that the gaff bounced off it the first time. When we brought it in the boat it crapped all over my brother, which was almost certainly a highlight of 2020 (the bar is pretty low this year). We retained this one and it will be used to determine if we like cooking/eating them but won't be retaining any more until that culinary experiment is done.

Nice post! Did you happen to weigh the cabezon? I was just looking them up...seems like 30lbs is about as big as they go. Looks like you guys had a fun time.

I am just packing up for my first trip to Bamfield in 20 years with my 14 year old. He would love to have crab one night for dinner and where around Bamfield for Crab fishing or should I just leave the traps at home? Really appreciate any suggestions and/or areas to try. If you prefer please PM me.
We have done well in Sarita bay where the river runs in! But be careful as people have had their traps stolen there. Usually we will set them then fish around there where you can keep an eye on them. Good luck!

Pachena Bay and Bradys Beach are the two spots i know of. good luck!

We have done well in Sarita bay where the river runs in! But be careful as people have had their traps stolen there. Usually we will set them then fish around there where you can keep an eye on them. Good luck!
Most of the bay is closed to salmon hard to see the traps from the border.

FWIW - We brought traps and gut skunked in a little bay just east of Beale - about 3 bays over.
I think we were in the wrong spot though - there was another bay that seemed to have more traps.
I did see someone on the dock enjoying a nice little crab feast!
You can get red rocks off docks in Bamfield no problem

Picked up a 22, 12, 10 and 8lb springs and two rockfish at Cree yesterday morning. Today put in at Ecole and had a hit just as we got the other rod set up. Nice fish but lost it at the boat. Only hit all morning. Trolled from there to the far side of useless and back to Fullerton. DFO out in their zodiac.

hello Doubletyee , i believe pachena bay would be your best bet for crab , it is a bit of a run but worth it , go about half way into the bay itself you will see it is a fairly constant bottom all along . DO NOT leave your traps keep a watch on em . trying to be helpful the Seaspanker 2 .

hello Doubletyee , i believe pachena bay would be your best bet for crab , it is a bit of a run but worth it , go about half way into the bay itself you will see it is a fairly constant bottom all along . DO NOT leave your traps keep a watch on em . trying to be helpful the Seaspanker 2 .

I second Pachena Bay and agree that you cannot leave your traps there unattended.

Tried our luck on the other side today. Started half way between Chup and Ecole. On the way to Pill saw a Mola Mola (aka Pacific Sun Fish) finning on the surface. Trolled into Blood bay, turned back at Useless, back past Pill to Cross point, up and thru Holford to Diplock. Pulled up there. Shakers galore all morning. Pull the lines up every 5 to 10 min to take off little 6 - 8” shakers. Had 1 (approx) 10lb coho on for about 4 jumps. Sea lion was at Pill and blood bay. Saw it take two fish off other boats.

Back