Anti theft options for boat in driveway?

Go.Fish

Starting to add some gadgets to the boat and wouldn’t mind leaving items in the boat when not in use. Anybody have any anti theft devices they use for things that can’t be bolted down?
Thinking along the lines of a car security system that has a motion sensor and loud alarm that goes off if someone climbs onto the trailer
I have security cameras but not one looking right at the boat currently, if I set them for motion alerts to a smart phone it’s a visual motion sensor so goes off with rain drops. Also have a motion sensor light pointed right at the boat but it kind of just gives a thief some light to see what he’s doing ;) it’s a bit of a blind spot on the property

Examples: leaving Fishfinder head unit in, downriggers and rods in boat and not have to bring them into the shop after a long day fishing.

Too many cordless sawzalls available to be comfortable leaving downriggers on the boat. I’d rather the crack head have something cheap to steal instead of cutting the side of a boat apart to steal a downrigger. It wouldn’t take long for a sawzall to go through the side of a boat....

ive put roadside barriers around the boat which are water filled and the boat is always jacked up full when not in use anyway so it looks taller. that seems to have stopped boat theft but doubt it would stop theft of small items. i have a skybell (motion activated) and cameras around it but those are for after the fact.

Everything off for me....

Use to have a nice "safe" place beside the house, behind a 6' fence, everything stayed on except rods and bait....sold house, now everything has to come off, lost one kicker, replacement one they tried at, always find the seat bottoms lifted to see what is underneath..... have caught two people separately. Took their pictures and told them to spread the word they are not welcome...… so far so good.

One thing that saves me is I have room in front of the house for a beater car.....since I have bought it and move it around, it looks like two vehicles are always there, in other words someone is always "home". Cheap insurance, been doing it for well over a year now and no problems!

ya tough call. guess it depends on where you live.

I wouldn't be able to sleep personally leaving a GPS out. although I do believe some mount manufacturers make a locking mount( not sure if I would trust it) . scotty downrigger locks would also be an added deterrent.

for me i make the decision as to what i leave out/on board by : if im going again the next morning or if the boat is going to sit for a few days/weeks. but for the most part im to paranoid to leave out expensive gear that is easy to steal. (its a gamble for sure)

personally i would rather get up 15mins early or stay out 15 mins later and tuck away rods and a gps unit. downriggers i gamble with and use the scotty locks.

*or even better add a "Under Quarantine"sign to the boat and front door of the house...might keep the skid-marks that can read away. and maybe the in-laws?

motion activated alarm sounds like a good idea though as well.

Anybody else pissed off with our enabling druggies. We give em free dope, free housing and all we get is our homes broken into, tent cities, threatened with being stabbed and them DEMANDING better treatment. When the **** will people make a stand. It’s outta control. Everywhere I go in BC same ****. A mans boat is sacred ground.

Last edited:
In Nanaimo you want to strip it or connect a pack of rabid dogs to it to protect your stuff from the the horde of drug addicts
Same same in Vic. I can’t even consider having my boat at my house. I got b and e’d a year ago. They made off with a truckload. About 30k in goodies.

Everything off for me....

Use to have a nice "safe" place beside the house, behind a 6' fence, everything stayed on except rods and bait....sold house, now everything has to come off, lost one kicker, replacement one they tried at, always find the seat bottoms lifted to see what is underneath..... have caught two people separately. Took their pictures and told them to spread the word they are not welcome...… so far so good.

One thing that saves me is I have room in front of the house for a beater car.....since I have bought it and move it around, it looks like two vehicles are always there, in other words someone is always "home". Cheap insurance, been doing it for well over a year now and no problems!
I’m doing that

Anybody else pissed off with our enabling druggies. We give em free dope, free housing and all we get is our homes broken into, tent cities, threatened with being stabbed and then DEMANDING better treatment. When the **** will people make a stand. It’s outta control. Everywhere I go in BC same ****. A mans not is sacred ground.
You bet but all levels of government, for some reason won’t get tough with them. We’re a pussiefied nation now, the path has been chosen. God help us!

Anybody else pissed off with our enabling druggies. We give em free dope, free housing and all we get is our homes broken into, tent cities, threatened with being stabbed and them DEMANDING better treatment. When the **** will people make a stand. It’s outta control. Everywhere I go in BC same ****. A mans boat is sacred ground.
But don't you know "survival theft" is a product of our failed capitalist system! :rolleyes:

I wonder how long you would have to sleep with the bait out?
Wouldn't it **** you off if you slept through it!

Back