2020 Nanaimo Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished out of Schooner Cove on the 20th, and had a great day jigging Salmon, with many shakers and a few legal springs.

However....

Disappointed with the craptain of the “Martha Focker” (no joke). These guys were proudly driving like azzhats, laughing and smiling while driving too close and waking the hell out of the 1/2 dozen other boats drift jigging in cooperative sequence. Normally, that would be excusable, however when my wife hooked up to the best fish of the day, they quickly cut behind us, trolling 1 boat length off our port, and swung behind directly where we were obviously playing a fish, which then snapped on their downrigger line. The abraded 20lb Maxima to prove it.

Not happy, and these guys couldn’t care less and even thought it was funny. What goes around, comes around Focker.

Other than this garbage, it was a great day with minimal swell once the wind died down. One keeper Ling and one low teen spring.

@the fisherman guy that sounds brutal! Can you post pics of the boat?

I didn’t take any pictures of them, don’t want to start a lynch mob/witch hunt - but do want to share this in case it happens to someone else - who knows maybe he’ll read this and laugh.

The Martha Focker is a new regular at Schooner, for his own sake, hope he figures out that this kind of BS is not a good way to make friends, and soon enough is destined to learn the hard way if he keeps it up.

Forgot to mention, ran into a few familiar faces and friendly smiles on the water and on the dock. Saw a few nice fish netted. Sure are a lot of small fish around, encouraging to see the numbers.

Rant over! Tight lines

Fished out of Schooner Cove on the 20th, and had a great day jigging Salmon, with many shakers and a few legal springs.

I know this guy. While I couldn't dispute the statements you are making, I would be very surprised if he would find such a situation funny. I will point this out to him the next time I see him out there.
BTW, he is not a new regular. Been there for a few years at least.

However....

Disappointed with the craptain of the “Martha Focker” (no joke). These guys were proudly driving like azzhats, laughing and smiling while driving too close and waking the hell out of the 1/2 dozen other boats drift jigging in cooperative sequence. Normally, that would be excusable, however when my wife hooked up to the best fish of the day, they quickly cut behind us, trolling 1 boat length off our port, and swung behind directly where we were obviously playing a fish, which then snapped on their downrigger line. The abraded 20lb Maxima to prove it.

Not happy, and these guys couldn’t care less and even thought it was funny. What goes around, comes around Focker.

Other than this garbage, it was a great day with minimal swell once the wind died down. One keeper Ling and one low teen spring.

Out jigging again tonight around the fingers, Hudson rocks, Piper's and Neck point. Lots of action but nothing in the slot. There are definitely larger fish (> 80cm) out there right now that I haven't seen the last week.

Delta half jigs (2oz) and shimano butterfly jigs both worked equally well. Same as other nights I'm finding chinook 15-30 feet below the surface in 30-60 feet of water. The fish are definitely seem to be above the bait feeding.

I have yet to pick up a coho jigging this year. What areas arepare catching them in? Is it further off the structure?

Out jigging again tonight around the fingers, Hudson rocks, Piper's and Neck point. Lots of action but nothing in the slot. There are definitely larger fish (> 80cm) out there right now that I haven't seen the last week.

Delta half jigs (2oz) and shimano butterfly jigs both worked equally well. Same as other nights I'm finding chinook 15-30 feet below the surface in 30-60 feet of water. The fish are definitely seem to be above the bait feeding.

I have yet to pick up a coho jigging this year. What areas arepare catching them in? Is it further off the structure?
Was out tonight as well for about an hour. 4 shakers on lil nib. Current was ripping good tonight

Was out tonight as well for about an hour. 4 shakers on lil nib. Current was ripping good tonight

The lil nib is a champ! I'm going to give those a go next time I'm out. Haven't fish them yet this year

Newish to this salt water fishing. Have been hearing about Grande and The Falls.
Does anyone know of a map or chart that shows those?

Beautiful evening on the the ocean this evening. Grabbed dinner to go and went fishing with the family. Fished off the fingers. Crazy busy. People driving all over the place. Made for some interesting times. Decent action tonight. Bunch of small ones and two good hits that I lost. Fished spoons. One rigger at 72’ other at 111’. Maybe was fishing to shallow.
Does using anchovies produce around there? Haven’t used them in years. Would have to re-learn how.

Beautiful evening on the the ocean this evening. Grabbed dinner to go and went fishing with the family. Fished off the fingers. Crazy busy. People driving all over the place. Made for some interesting times. Decent action tonight. Bunch of small ones and two good hits that I lost. Fished spoons. One rigger at 72’ other at 111’. Maybe was fishing to shallow.
Does using anchovies produce around there? Haven’t used them in years. Would have to re-learn how.
Can't imagine how nuts it will be over the long weekend, im sure lots of knowledgeable new boaters out there :eek:
I rarely use chovies here asides from later in august sometimes, just depends what the salmon are feeding on. I much prefer spoons/hootchies here, other areas around the island its chovies only at certain times.

Newish to this salt water fishing. Have been hearing about Grande and The Falls.
Those would be further along gabriola, bit of a run out of nanaimo compared to fingers and even entrance.

Can't imagine how nuts it will be over the long weekend, im sure lots of knowledgeable new boaters out there :eek:
I rarely use chovies here asides from later in august sometimes, just depends what the salmon are feeding on. I much prefer spoons/hootchies here, other areas around the island its chovies only at certain times.
It’s already quite busy but seems fairly orderly

I’ve done really fishing cut plug herring this time of year in Nanaimo. Clark Rock to Neck Neck point early morning. Haven’t done it for a while because seals got really bad but if your struggling to find some fish it’s worth a shot

they are just NW of Silva Bay.
Grande; old name for a still functioning hotel/wedding destination big house on the bluff. the contours jut out towards the strait here.
waterfall is 400 yards NW of grande. nice on a hot day, gotta get in close, it is small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back