Sidney vs Victoria

ziggy

I have an opportunity to move my mooring from Sidney to Victoria. I’m familiar with the fishing spots of Sidney and the weather patterns, Victoria not so much. Usually keep my boat moored year round so I can get out on a good day regardless of season. It’s a bit of a drive into the new spot but a heck of a deal on moorage. Any pros/ cons re fishing appreciated.

Where in Victoria ?
winter fishery off Victoria can be good, August for mature Chinook off the breakwall.
Oak bay flats and Constance are only 10-15 minutes on a good day.

Yep....for cruising and island hopping, Sidney for sure.
Fishing - Victoria

Won’t take long to figure out the fishing spots in Vic. Overall through out the year, the fishing is spotty with small windows of when it’s hot.

If you are looking to Moore some place where the fishing is good almost year round, I’d be looking at Cheanuh or even Pedder. You’ll be skunked a lot off Vic outside of those windows where it’s good.

Where in Victoria ?
winter fishery off Victoria can be good, August for mature Chinook off the breakwall.
Oak bay flats and Constance are only 10-15 minutes on a good day.
Pretty much Victoria Harbour. I’m trying to balance out the drive into town with perhaps better fishing. We have lots of closures out this way but maybe a bit better weather.

I think you'll be faced with similar slots, the only difference is 45 cm vs 62 cm on Chinook
which I'll never understand

I would say stay in Sidney your not missing anything Victoria area.. I,m thinking of moving from Sooke to Sidney year round as the commute to Sooke is just not worth it anymore.. Weather is usual good in Sidney as you know compared to Vic or Sooke wind wise.

Yeah you got better access to prawning where you are and the winter fishery.

On the flip side Victoria has an excellent winter fishery very close to harbor. Plus in spring your not far from halibut grounds.

i have switched from Sooke to Sidney and am happy, just wish the reg's weren't so restrictive but crabbing, prawning and taking the wife Island hoping is nice.

Depends on how you like to use your boat.If strictly fishing,I'd do Victoria,good halibut fishing and probably more consistent salmon fishing(when allowed).But if your into relaxing ,cruising and beach hopping,Sidney is great.I keep my boat in Victoria now or trailered but the way fishing is going Sidney is looking better every day.

I’ve spent some time tied up in Sidney, Oak Bay, and Pedder Bay. Every place has something that I really like and for a while

- Oak Bay happens to be closest to home for me, and it is really nice to be able to drive to the boat in 10 minutes. The marina is nice, the fishing for springs can be pretty good in winter/spring. However, it is a headache to launch and pull out as the closest ramp is Cattle Pt. It’s also pricier moorage than Westport or Pedder

- Sidney has by far the best weather and the most variety of places to go (though regs are whittling that done in recent years). I find the salmon fishing can be pretty dry at times in the summer and I know I would be seeing more action in Juan de Fuca. But then I’ll remember I’m not sitting in freezing cold fog and 25 knots winds and jockeying for position with 50 other boats off Beechey Head.

- Pedder has good fishing year round, good moorage rates, a good ramp. I spend the most time moored there. Also spend the most time being annoyed at the 20-30 kt westerlies that can be just relentless there in the summer. And the traffic is an annoyance for me—I don’t pop out after work for an evening fish very often because the Colwood crawl makes it an hour trip. Compared to Sidney the non-fishing boating options in Juan de Fuca are really minimal.

As others have said, winter fishing in Victoria is great. You can have some success with Chinook in August out of Victoria, but nothing compared to fishing the west coast of the island.

Nothing beats Sidney winter springs though on a calm sunny January. But the summer season is drying up pretty quick - the usual spots aren't producing like they did a couple years ago (and the closures don't help either). I find I burn way less fuel when I'm fishing sidney as my favourite spots are <10 minutes away from the dock. <3 minutes if winter fishing. I'd take a quieter fishing day, than a more productive one when I'm stressed about all the other boats around me (Posession Point, Trap Shack).

Nothing beats Sidney winter springs though on a calm sunny January. But the summer season is drying up pretty quick - the usual spots aren't producing like they did a couple years ago (and the closures don't help either). I find I burn way less fuel when I'm fishing sidney as my favourite spots are <10 minutes away from the dock. <3 minutes if winter fishing. I'd take a quieter fishing day, than a more productive one when I'm stressed about all the other boats around me (Posession Point, Trap Shack).
Got too say I'm starting to agree I live in central saanich and fished Sidney years ago then switched to sooke because of better fishing but there is so much less stress to fishing Sidney and the calmer waters are easier on my back so instead of heading west this August I'm heading out my back door

Appreciate everyone’s input. I’m thinking I’ll give Victoria a shot this year as I got a great deal on moorage, but if the drive in becomes a pain, or the weather becomes too big of a factor I’ll move back to Westport. Will likely start fishing off Victoria this fall and see how it goes. Nice to learn another spot.

Anyone know where else to fuel in town other than Victoria Harbour fuel dock?

Back