23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
I have mine like Hindsights, but I too wish mine were forward about where his rod holder is. I also have 1 in the middle at the back. all downriggers have rod holders and I also have 2 more out the back between the riggers. and 2 more farer up in front of riggers. cannon balls hang off the riggers

Agree with Wolf. Leaning over the down riggers to clip on your lines and also netting fish off the back corners is going to get old real quick with the riggers in your gut or lower...:eek:

Agree with Wolf. Leaning over the down riggers to clip on your lines and also netting fish off the back corners is going to get old real quick with the riggers in your gut or lower...:eek:
My friends boat has them mounted in the transom. Fished in his boat once. What a pain in the butt. My 20 has them mounted forward. Only issue is tight turns with 200 feet of line out

Mounting them on the transom gives you strength. You don’t have to worry as much about the gunnels flexing. But it is a pain in the butt especially if you’re not on your favourite side like RC said. Mount them about 18” forward of the transom and have swivel bases that you can swing them straight back.

the downriggers have hooks for the balls to sit while you cruise around. I don’t see why you would want to rest them on the swim grid. You’d be asking for them to bounce off while you’re under power and then have a heavy piece of lead flopping around at speed

I’m 5’6” and run my 60” riggers from the very back corners. Dragging out the fifty fathom edge yesterday in a nasty westerly and not a single tangle fishin deep. Virtually impossible to snag a trim tab or prop as well. Scotty cradles beside riggers for storage, hooks on booms to clear riggin to land squirrely springs.

Attachments

• 986E8B30-D755-4A83-AA36-130DF3985FA9.jpeg
    986E8B30-D755-4A83-AA36-130DF3985FA9.jpeg
    324.9 KB · Views: 85
I'm gonna get slayed for this but I would make custom gunnell mounts 3' or so from the transom and add good quality stainless rocket launchers to the booms. I have the ****** scotty flush mounts at the transom and never use them at all. Less holes in the boat deck the better.

I'm gonna get slayed for this but I would make custom gunnell mounts 3' or so from the transom and add good quality stainless rocket launchers to the booms. I have the ****** scotty flush mounts at the transom and never use them at all. Less holes in the boat deck the better.
I use the dual holder base and wouldn't have it any other way. The cheap plastic ones though. Lower and stiffer. Screw those flimsy stainless "pro" models.

I needed a break for the monotonous filling sanding... filling sanding... :confused: Got trim tabs and ss eye's installed :eek:

IMG_0502.jpeg

Last edited:
You went hydraulic and not electric? Lol! Is their still room for twins? Looks good!

hey I don’t suspect there will be twins, unfortunately. O well a single is cheaper to maintain and rig...

You went hydraulic and not electric? Lol! Is their still room for twins? Looks good!

I found them in the shed, so they must have come with the boat or the 23'er, not sure, nevertheless they are FREE :p

Last edited:
I like free, just wasn't sure it was your style lol! Really wasn't trying to get you to doubt yourself.. That's where I found mine too, just wish I wouldn't have sold or thrown out some other stuff.

I like free, just wasn't sure it was your style lol! Really wasn't trying to get you to doubt yourself..

O no worries, just a bit of a clean up and Vola! good as new! These Bennett tabs are bullet proof, last forever... I think the 24x9 is a good fit for the 26'er. Most things I am really picky and fussy but if I save on this build , why not? :)

Now, anyone with some trim tab anodes that want to part with?

What size gvwr trailer do you need for a fully loaded flybridge?

I will be keeping track of my weight closely, After I get it all together I will be getting some more weights, I really hope I don't have to upsize my trailer.

Last edited:
On the downrigger position,I'm like Roy (Wolf) and like them mounted forward at least 2 Ft..The only reason I can think of to mount them on the transom is if you plan on fishing very deep or in strong currents so that your blown back downrigger line doesn't entangle in your motors in extreme conditions.Off Campbell river or trolling Swiftsure for example.If you have no plans to do that it is easier to reach your clip if you have room behind the rigger.

Back