The New Ride.

Guy I know had a 2825 Kingfisher and had trouble with cracking where the downriggers mounted so better to be safe than sorry

I’m a second generation equipment man and understand flexing and cracking extensively in metals. I’ll say this, anything that flexes will eventually crack, it has too if it’s flexing its wearing its a simple theory.

Yeah for sure
All I can say is mounts stood the test when the cannon ball was hung on a rock pile with the wind blowing, the brake screeching and the boom flexing like a fly rod with a 10 lb rainbow..... tense couple minutes before the rock pile finally let go , that scotty braid is damn tough stuff
Not fun at all!

Definitely going with a backing. When I was going over the boat with the guy that sets them up at the dealer I was looking under and tapping on the gunnels, he says you don’t have to worry about those gunnels we never put backing on our downriggers we just bolt them up. I told him, I will be !! Good example of why I do things myself. I have a good amount of my 1/2” HDPE board left over and I plan on running a full width strip of it under the gunnels it will be long enough to cover 2 flush mount Scotty holders, 1 in front and 1 behind the riggers and back the rigger bolts of course. Being built out of 1/2” HDPE it will be there for 1000 plus years and never rot. Will also be putting self locking nuts and 1” diameter washers, overkill yes but once in I’ll never have to think about them again. Also made my wire harnesses with 10 gauge wire using 30 amp fuse holders and fuses.

Hey...sorry for the derail but where did you buy the HDPE since I’m not too far away from you. I ordered some black stuff on line since I only needed a bit but looking for a bigger piece in white. Also for the record I find about 18” from the inside edge of the rear gunnel to be a good number for downrigger mounts. It doesn’t interfere with netting along the side but enough room to be downstream of the riggers to set the gear.

Last edited:
No sweat RS. The 18” from rear of the back of the boat is just about perfect for me as well, will know for sure when I’m getting ready to set them on.

Here is where I got my board. I bought 2 full sheets and had them rip them in half for me as I knew none of my projects would exceed 48” in length. I still have one full sheet and a few scraps left over. As well I have near a full sheet of black 1/4 puck board. Puck board and HDPE are not exactly the same product. The puck board I bought at Windsor plywood in Loydminster but most building centres carry it.

https://plasticsplusltd.com/

The right answer ;) is centered on your body when you're comfortably standing as far back as possible. Too far back and your legs are pinned against the back and you're leaning over the rigger trying to reach the clip. I don't ever think about tangles in the motors. Doesn't even cross my mind.

Agreed. Mine are all the way back. If I was doing it again I'd go 12" to 18" forward to make it easier to grab the clip.

That boat is a beauty! Prop guard for the kicker is a must imo. Takes some of the stress out of the downrigger placement.

Yes definitely Skins88, will be installing one this winter for sure.

I use the bottom half of an old fishing rod with a hook I made out of a coat hanger to grab my release clips , works for me .

Welcome to the KF crowd Walleyes. The two footitis is killing me right now!

Following some other comments, I mounted my DRs as far back as I could but so I could basically straddle them. Comfortable in those back corner pockets and ahead enough from my cleats that it’s not an issue...and also I put 1/4 inch backing plate underneath that worked quite well.

Sorry people won’t keep boring you with pics but just had to share some of the maiden voyage today. Got home with the boat Tuesday afternoon and worked on installations yesterday. Downriggers went really nice, ended up putting them almost right at the back, it’s just where it suited the boat the best. Leaves lots of room for netting when the riggers are folded back and out if the way. My Helix 7 never showed up yet so I just temporarily installed an older Lowrance I have sitting around, just something to watch bottom with. Boat performed well no real numbers yet as most of the traveling today was just spent going through break in procedures. But that 200 with a 17 pitch prop pops her out in seconds. The High Thrust EFI kicker runs so smooth. I must say what a beautiful vessel to fish out of, I am so impressed I really am. So much better suited for our needs than the big Wellcraft was. Unloaded easy and loaded like a dream. First impressions are nothing but 110% happy and positive. Boat was on the fish today as well, always good to know your boat is fishy, boated close to 20 Lake Trout today nothing to big, biggest maybe 12 lbs.

Couple pics of the day.

50171593592_60d952ea8a_z.jpg

50171300096_dd991eab4a_z.jpg

50171298676_49f58b0e74_z.jpg

50171552347_f5f5a589d7_z.jpg

50171349666_70532640d8_z.jpg

50171349871_4346e45db1_z.jpg

50170805353_4247cca2d9_z.jpg

Last edited:
Back