Best way to attach a cannon ball

Doubletyee

I have been ocean fishing for over 30 years but everything is self taught or something I have read up on. I was wondering what is the best and most economical way to attach a cannon ball to a downriver with wire on it. I am sure that there a lot of ways to do it but looking for the easiest, fastest and most economical. I just put on a rubber stopper and then two connectors and then crimp but I am sure there are much better ways. I have never used the rubber snubbers as they are expensive and don’t see the advantage if your careful and don’t drop the ball. Thanks for your tips.

Am I reading this wrong? Do you always have a cannon ball connected to your downrigger line instead of having a connector at the end?

GI5wDrT.jpg

The heavy cord is easy on the hands and it has some stretch to cushion things.

same as above but i attach the downrigger clip direct to the same piece of hardware that attaches to the cannon

I used paracord from Amazon. I made up two sets one for stacking and one for singles.

This is my old set-up, the new one is similar but the single green cord is replaced with a long loop. Also hook and snubber have been replaced with the loop that just passes though the eye of cannonball and dropped back though. No stoppers to worry about, the knot on the loop becomes the stopper. No losing release clips and they are out of the water when netting fish.

IMG_3928.JPG IMG_3929.JPG IMG_3930.JPG IMG_3931.JPG IMG_3932.JPG

This is my old set-up, the new one is similar but the single green cord is replaced with a long loop. Also hook and snubber have been replaced with the loop that just passes though the eye of cannonball and dropped back though. No stoppers to worry about, the knot on the loop becomes the stopper. No losing release clips and they are out of the water when netting fish.

View attachment 55285 View attachment 55286 View attachment 55287 View attachment 55288 View attachment 55289

i tried this recently as an experiment and moved back to my old way. i kept having the down rigger clip line wrapping around the main to the cannon and also the crimped knot was getting caught in the pulley. not sure what i was doing wrong. when it was working i really liked this system

I am lazy. I just make length chord, and make one small overhand loop one end, and big one for cannonball. Tie braid to small loop using polymer knot. Don't use swivels etc. Been running it this way for years.

I am lazy. I just make length chord, and make one small overhand loop one end, and big one for cannonball. Tie braid to small loop using polymer knot. Don't use swivels etc. Been running it this way for years.
Do you use finned balls? I tried getting rid of the swivels but with round balls by clip would wrap around the chord like a spider monkey every time it came up.

too much crap will increase your blow back a fair bit, keep it simple, unless you bounce bottom a lot you don't need a snubber imho, I tie my downrigger line direct to a scotty swivel and clip it on the ball directly, I've lost maybe 2 cannon balls in the last 20 years or so.

Back