Tales From The Tyee Pool.......2020..

So when will the first fish be taken?? My gut says earlier this year because of weather ... just my gut.. I’ll be out there starting 25th

Here's a post to keep me alive on page one. LOL

Don't know who these intrepid anglers are but kudos for being the first boat I've seen out this season.

Just a smidge early but as is always the case, someone has to catch the first one.

Good luck to all.

View attachment 55014

Photo by Jo Jo Moon

Take care.

Thats Me ! Its way early but it was good for my shoulders... rowing my son and his girlfriend ! If you could get me a decent copy of the photo Id appreciate it :)

CRGreg

Thats Me ! Its way early but it was good for my shoulders... rowing my son and his girlfriend ! If you could get me a decent copy of the photo Id appreciate it :)

CRGreg

It's not a very good photo to start with, being from a phone etc. so why not try for a better one?

You can copy it from this page or I'll ask Joanne to text it to you if you PM me your phone number.

Best I can do I think.

Take care.

Dave

Hoping for a covid free season with a few in your boat Dave!

No problem with taking out two if they are an established couple, but will mostly fish one at a time I suppose.

Will see how it goes.

Take care.

Sunday morning short update as follows.

One small undersize Chinook (19 lbs.) caught two nights ago but nothing other than that, I'm told.

On the other concerns re: the Tyee Pool, well, we've already had a couple of encounters including a Seiner anchored on the north end with people casting from it and three occupants in a powerboat approached a row-boat and harassed them, hurling insults etc. etc. the other day.

Also watched a local motor through the middle of the pool earlier today.

All of the above have been recorded and reported, as far as I know, and we'll see if anything develops.

Stay tuned.

Take care.

Ah I’ve been waiting for this thread, I was thinking with the early rowers they must of watched you and I a few years ago I was there too early but you took me out for exercise anyway lol. Year before last was a really exciting one but we managed to leave the fish in the water yet again. Not sure with covid rules But this year if your up to it and want to get me back out there I’d love to break you dry spell! I’ll be there hopefully in couple weeks I will send you a message Dave! It’s my year I feel it

It's Hump Day and the day before we launch the rowboat, after much humping around getting it all together, as the following may show.

After sanding and varnishing the gunwales plus applying a new paint scheme on the transom, things started to come together.
New gasoline was mixed with two stroke oil, the tank was filled, the outboard mounted and the seat installed in place.

Now for the little things, like the tote with the required safety gear, a throwing line, a flashlight, a whistle and all that stuff, and then the lights, both bow and stern.
I'd taken out the batteries from the lights at the end of the season last year, having learned two years previously what can happen when you leave the batteries in after the season, and I knew exactly where they were.

Batteries in hand, I pondered where to look first for the light set-ups. The bow light has green and red lights and the stern light has a long stem that fits into a receptacle on the rear seat, so either should be easy to spot, I thought.

I looked in all my cupboards, all my closets, in the storage area under my RV, behind the seat in my pickup truck, under the couch and every other place that could possibly harbor that which I sought.

Nope. Couldn't find them.

Acting on a hunch from Peter, I called pal Tom in Black Creek and asked if he'd mind checking in my camper in case I'd put them there at the end of last year when my camper was parked next to the boat.
He looked and they were not there.
Damn!

Now, I'm 75 years old and didn't get this age without learning a few things, so I realized I was at that stage where there is only one action left that would guarantee I'd find my lights in the future, I'd have to buy new ones.

So Monday morning found me in pursuit of a new kit of bow and stern lights and mounting hardware, because I knew I'd bought a kit two years previously. Naturally, I couldn't recall where.

I went to Ocean Pacific, sanitized my hands at the door and looked around. Nothing was close and the brands weren't the same, so I left.

I went to Redden Net, sanitized my hands at the door and looked around. Same result.

I drove out to Howich, sanitized my hands at the door and looked around. Something tweaked me to their catalogue on the parts counter so I asked the guy there if he'd mind having a look or did he mind if I looked, and he looked for me. Sensible enough as you want as few people as possible handling the things you handle often in this day and age.

Reading backwards I spotted what I was looking for and pointed it out to him, and then ordered and paid for it. During that operation the guy helping me realized we'd worked at the same time for BCFP at the Renfrew Logging Division, many years ago, so we had a bit of a catch up chat, a bonus so to speak. He'd been a mechanic and I was the Warehouseman back then.

I then went for breakfast at Dukes, sanitized my hands at the door then realized I probably had the cleanest hands on Vancouver Island about then. :rolleyes:

Next on the Monday agenda was a quick trip to Errington with pal Peter to pick up a new pair of leather collars and stops for my oars, which I'd bought there in 2011. Ken, from the Barkley Sound Oar and Paddle Company, met us just after two PM and the deal was shortly done. After a short diversion to Coombs on a chore for an old pal, we headed back to Campbell River where we had a celebratory banana split from the DQ.

I finished lacing up one of the new collars that evening, a tedious process for sure, then rolled on the leather lacing that makes up the stop and basically lined everything up ready to go, with the plan to be finished Tuesday morning.

Tuesday morning I laced up the other collar then lent myself to removing the old ones from the oars. This required some dextrous use of a screwdriver, much vigorous twisting, much pulling and the use of a number of words not to be repeated here. In the end, the old ones finally relented their nine year old grasp on my oars and I slid the new ones into place, hoping the judicious use of some contact cement would help them stay there. So far so good.

Peter had arrived in order to lend a hand so with his help we mounted the stops in place, following the instructions and drilling and nailing as required.
Everything went smoothly and within minutes the job was done.

All that remained was to find my container of Mink Oil and oil up the new leather.

I was positive I knew where I'd put the Mink Oil, so I engaged Peter in helping me remove several items from the cupboard right above my work desk, where I knew the oil was to be found. After removing two bicycle helmets, a complete set of old camping cookware, an ancient tea-pot, several reels, several large candles, an old lunch box full of electrical bits and pieces, three or four baseball caps, an old Tilley hat, two tins of Brasso, three books, two boxes of flies, an assortment of spinners and spoons in a plastic container and a number of other items I spotted the tin of Mink Oil, way back in the right-hand part of the cupboard.
It was sitting on top of the lights I'd been looking for.

I knew I'd find them sooner or later. :p

Did I mention I'm old?

So we launch tomorrow and the rowing regime begins.

I'm sort of looking forward to it. :D

Take care.

Last edited:
Dave
I’m 70 and I appreciate you pointing out that I really, really need to get better organized because it isn’t going to get any easier.
Keep the great stories coming.
Good luck and be safe on the water Amigo
Stosh

It's Hump Day and the day before we launch the rowboat, after much humping around getting it all together, as the following may show.

After sanding and varnishing the gunwales plus applying a new paint scheme on the transom, things started to come together.
New gasoline was mixed with two stroke oil, the tank was filled, the outboard mounted and the seat installed in place.

Now for the little things, like the tote with the required safety gear, a throwing line, a flashlight, a whistle and all that stuff, and then the lights, both bow and stern.
I'd taken out the batteries from the lights at the end of the season last year, having learned two years previously what can happen when you leave the batteries in after the season, and I knew exactly where they were.

Batteries in hand, I pondered where to look first for the light set-ups. The bow light has green and red lights and the stern light has a long stem that fits into a receptacle on the rear seat, so either should be easy to spot, I thought.

I looked in all my cupboards, all my closets, in the storage area under my RV, behind the seat in my pickup truck, under the couch and every other place that could possibly harbor that which I sought.

Nope. Couldn't find them.

Acting on a hunch from Peter, I called pal Tom in Black Creek and asked if he'd mind checking in my camper in case I'd put them there at the end of last year when my camper was parked next to the boat.
He looked and they were not there.
Damn!

Now, I'm 75 years old and didn't get this age without learning a few things, so I realized I was at that stage where there is only one action left that would guarantee I'd find my lights in the future, I'd have to buy new ones.

So Monday morning found me in pursuit of a new kit of bow and stern lights and mounting hardware, because I knew I'd bought a kit two years previously. Naturally, I couldn't recall where.

I went to Ocean Pacific, sanitized my hands at the door and looked around. Nothing was close and the brands weren't the same, so I left.

I went to Redden Net, sanitized my hands at the door and looked around. Same result.

I drove out to Howich, sanitized my hands at the door and looked around. Something tweaked me to their catalogue on the parts counter so I asked the guy there if he'd mind having a look or did he mind if I looked, and he looked for me. Sensible enough as you want as few people as possible handling the things you handle often in this day and age.

Reading backwards I spotted what I was looking for and pointed it out to him, and then ordered and paid for it. During that operation the guy helping me realized we'd worked at the same time for BCFP at the Renfrew Logging Division, many years ago, so we had a bit of a catch up chat, a bonus so to speak. He'd been a mechanic and I was the Warehouseman back then.

I then went for breakfast at Dukes, sanitized my hands at the door then realized I probably had the cleanest hands on Vancouver Island about then. :rolleyes:

Next on the Monday agenda was a quick trip to Errington with pal Peter to pick up a new pair of leather collars and stops for my oars, which I'd bought there in 2011. Ken, from the Barkley Sound Oar and Paddle Company, met us just after two PM and the deal was shortly done. After a short diversion to Coombs on a chore for an old pal, we headed back to Campbell River where we had a celebratory banana split from the DQ.

I finished lacing up one of the new collars that evening, a tedious process for sure, then rolled on the leather lacing that makes up the stop and basically lined everything up ready to go, with the plan to be finished Tuesday morning.

Tuesday morning I laced up the other collar then lent myself to removing the old ones from the oars. This required some dextrous use of a screwdriver, much vigorous twisting, much pulling and the use of a number of words not to be repeated here. In the end, the old ones finally relented their nine year old grasp on my oars and I slid the new ones into place, hoping the judicious use of some contact cement would help them stay there. So far so good.

Peter had arrived in order to lend a hand so with his help we mounted the stops in place, following the instructions and drilling and nailing as required.
Everything went smoothly and within minutes the job was done.

All that remained was to find my container of Mink Oil and oil up the new leather.

I was positive I knew where I'd put the Mink Oil, so I engaged Peter in helping me remove several items from the cupboard right above my work desk, where I knew the oil was to be found. After removing two bicycle helmets, a complete set of old camping cookware, an ancient tea-pot, several reels, several large candles, an old lunch box full of electrical bits and pieces, three or four baseball caps, an old Tilley hat, two tins of Brasso, three books, two boxes of flies, an assortment of spinners and spoons in a plastic container and a number of other items I spotted the tin of Mink Oil, way back in the right-hand part of the cupboard.
It was sitting on top of the lights I'd been looking for.

I knew I'd find them sooner or later. :p

Did I mention I'm old?

So we launch tomorrow and the rowing regime begins.

I'm sort of looking forward to it. :D

Take care.
Let's see a picture of those new collars! I remember my go at installing the same ones and all the cussing, lol!

Let's see a picture of those new collars! I remember my go at installing the same ones and all the cussing, lol!

Haven't got a pic yet but wil take one for you soon.
Sorry about that.

Peter and I launched the boat earlier and the trusty engine fired on the second pull, an improvement from last year I think, when it took three pulls.

I motored down to my mooring spot while Peter drove down with the truck and trailer and we met at the dock.

Mooring lines were adjusted and in a very short time the boat was nicely secured in her usual spot and looking good to go.

Now we just need fish.

Take care.

Good day all.

Has something changed regarding posting photos that I'm unaware of?

I ask because I seem unable to post a photo using the "Upload a File" button on lower right like I used to be able to.

Can someone enlighten me please?

Thanks.

Take care.

Back