Island halibut & salmon day charter

SkeenaSlayer

Hey folks,

New to the Island and a bit bewildered as to the fishing options here. I'm looking to get out for a day charter to hit salmon and halibut in late August. Can anyone recommend a location and a charter operator? I understand I have to go to the west side, but not sure where - Nootka, Ucluent, Port Renfew...? I'm in the Comox Valley.

Any advice would be much appreciate. Thanks!

I’d personally recommend Ucluelet or Bamfield (they fish the same area ukee is just easier to get too) I’m abit bias as I fish there a lot and have always had great success. There are lots of great guides in ukee.

Port Renfrew I’ve never really had much luck there besides fall coho but tons of people love it I’ve just always gone to ucluelet as I know the area better. I’m sure someone here will chime in about port renfrew.

Nookta I have never fished there, I hear lots of great things about it but have never actually been myself so can’t help much there.

Feel free to pm if you have any questions about ukee and I’ll try my best to help!

Cheers,
Michael

Hey folks,

New to the Island and a bit bewildered as to the fishing options here. I'm looking to get out for a day charter to hit salmon and halibut in late August. Can anyone recommend a location and a charter operator? I understand I have to go to the west side, but not sure where - Nootka, Ucluent, Port Renfew...? I'm in the Comox Valley.

Any advice would be much appreciate. Thanks!

I spoke with @Derby today and he indicated he has spots left in August. It not bad drive for you and his boat is in Port Alberni, so you only just over one hour drive. He fishes Bamfield, and the Port Alberni area. Just PM him he is on the forum.

To late for Nootka as the commercial guys usually have an opening by late August and mop up quite a few of the springs. Bamfield would be my choice and quite a few good local guides. Ian Mcdonald is one of them if he is still fishing.

Thanks for the advice, gents. If I head to Uclulet area - can I hit salmon and halibut in the same day? Used to fishing the Rupert area, where one can generally get to both the hali and salmon grounds in a day.

Thanks for the advice, gents. If I head to Uclulet area - can I hit salmon and halibut in the same day? Used to fishing the Rupert area, where one can generally get to both the hali and salmon grounds in a day.
Ucluelet. Pretty sure bet for 2 species of salmon and hali if the weather permits and your group doesn't mind going offshore up to 25 miles. They are all out there in close proximity usually. Closer to shore you'll need to move from the salmon rocks to the hali spots, so if the salmon fishing is slower, you may run out of hali time.

Ucluelet is the best place on the island for catching salmon and halibut on the same trip. In a day charter, whether or not you'll max out on Salmon depends on your luck. As Tubber said above, if you're willing to make the haul offshore, you have pretty good chances of catching salmon and hali in the same neighborhood. Just keep in mind the haul out and back in to dock will reduce your fishing time on an 8-hour charter. We've still got some availability for late August if you're interested.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice on Ucluelet. How rough is the water out on the hali grounds? Any way to stay somewhat protected, or should I plan on getting sick?

Thanks for the advice on Ucluelet. How rough is the water out on the hali grounds? Any way to stay somewhat protected, or should I plan on getting sick?

It all depends on the day what it is going to look like offshore.

Meclazine is your friend if worried about getting sick. Take one before bed and one in the morning.

I remember a few years ago Murphys Sports Fishing advertising deals for this time period for halibut fishing. I think FWR did a video for it.

Hey @SkeenaSlayer
If your wanting to go to Ukee Pm me. I grew up there and know a few guides. I’m sure I could get you lined up with everything you need.

Back