2020 Campbell River Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unsure if your suggesting to hold the fish just by the tail but I was always taught not to do this. Pretty hard on the fish’s spine I think. Maybe someone has more insight on this?
Don't do it: "...fish destined for live-release should never be held vertically by the gills, or upside-down by the tail – both positions leave the body unsupported, and can cause serious damage to internal organs." - from a B.C. Freshwater Fisheries Society bulletin on catch and release handling.
https://www.gofishbc.com/Blog/How-To-Fish/Best-Practices-for-Handling-Releasing-Your-Catch.aspx

Last edited:
Don't do it: "...fish destined for live-release should never be held vertically by the gills, or upside-down by the tail – both positions leave the body unsupported, and can cause serious damage to internal organs." - from a B.C. Freshwater Fisheries Society bulletin on catch and release handling.
https://www.gofishbc.com/Blog/How-To-Fish/Best-Practices-for-Handling-Releasing-Your-Catch.aspx
Interesting read, searched a bit more and this seems to be a common finding with releasing Salmon. Has anyone been able to locate the DFO recommended procedures for measuring and releasing these fish without removing them from the water or having them bash themselves against the side of the boat as you determine length? Common thought is to not play them too much and rush them to the boat, yeah, okay, try and measure a fish full of spit and vinegar next to the boat. Wonder how these guys with 3ft of free board get down to measure their fish?

Unsure if your suggesting to hold the fish just by the tail but I was always taught not to do this. Pretty hard on the fish’s spine I think. Maybe someone has more insight on this?
Picking a fish up by the tail does damage to the fish. Fish companies found that cherry bruising as it was called was caused by picking the fish up by the tail. We were asked to not allow the crew to pick up the fish by the tail.

Yeah, not a good idea to hold a fish by the tail or gill plate out of the water. They develop underwater (obviously) where they don't experience gravity the same way we do. They are used to being supported by the weight of water surrounding them. Essentially their spine may elongate and could separate as they don't have muscles developed to prevent this kind of movement. I understand that warm water fish have much tighter muscles and seem to withstand being held by the tail far better.

This is a great discussion, as it raises a very good question. How do we safely handle a fish when we have a tight slot limit and will need to measure the vast majority that come to the boat. I have a vinyl mesh net with hard knots on it. I am planning to replace that now.

A double post here, but change of subject.

Any reports from Wilby Shoal or Sentry Shoal?

Any coho around yet?

Had a small Coho to the boat at Wilby this morning, maybe 4lbs. Springs were on fire though, we had three double headers! First double header was two over 20lbs, wife was in tears because she was so tired from the scrap and had a few bare knuckles to boot! Dam 80cm rule. Of course I was laughing so hard I almost fell overboard.

Picked up a beauty 78 cm right at the lighthouse on the flood with a blue meanie. Whole family on the boat, Alaska tug and barge really close, but fish on!
Wife's netting skills are solid!
We did a couple of passes in Baker Pass, couple of hits but never saw them.

Edited to correct phone autocorrect.

Last edited:
Hey All. Heading up to CR with some pals this weekend. Seems like those locations by Trophy 21 are looking pretty solid.

What seems to be working. Flasher colours? I typically use herring rigs.. any other suggestions?

Any recommendations on Hali, prawns and even beaches for clam digging?

Blue meanie green flasher.
We have bigger balls in CR because we like to go deep and there are currents.
Most hali are bycatch while salmon trolling balls deep.

Let’s talk about one of the most epic fishing adventures i’ve ever had!

I ducked out of work early today to shoot 3 hours up island to pull off an evening/morning fish with some of the coolest dudes of all time.

Got to the Pacific Playgrounds (which will be a place I will be coming to a lot more in the future) and didn’t waste time loading up @ILHG’s awesome tank of a Hewescraft. Then a quick rip in sunny, flat calm water brought us to a jigging hole not for from the pile of boats at the green can (I believe it’s called)

We found bait and cap’n ILGH kept us on it all evening. We dropped our Shimano Butterfly jigs (which I just picked up from the tackle shack) and it didn’t take long before our rods were bending over left and right. Multiple Doubles, a triple at one point.

Notables: We had on a giant ling which went straight down and broke off, also a likely tyee and a mid 20’s slab which shook the hook at the boat, and many more beauties. Finally, we were treated to a humpback cruising around for a show to cap the end of the day.

We each kept one and they were all in the mid teens. Except @Waterwolf2230’s... his was a legit 80cm 20.5lb unicorn which had the fattest weight to length ratio possible. It was crammed full of 8” herring, like 7 of them. We had a lot of smiles, a lot of laughs and ripped a lot of lips!
HUGE thanks to @Prairie Locked @Waterwolf2230[/USER] and his dad and @ILHG and his whole family for showing me such hospitality and giving me one of the best days imaginable.
I’ve said enough... pics time:
512F21BA-DED3-4244-AEF0-4A0AD822F032.jpeg C07E3590-5401-4E14-ABD9-1B9D240FF445.jpeg 647149A1-5A94-4F66-BFE2-D1B53DFDD8FF.jpeg

Last edited:
Right on boys, sounds like one of those unforgettable days.

Well done! Up to PP in 12 days. Hoping to get into some of those sub 80’s. Hopefully won’t have to let go too many Bernadette’s (hogs) while I’m there!

Let’s talk about one of the most epic fishing adventures i’ve ever had!

I ducked out of work early today to shoot 3 hours up island to pull off an evening/morning fish with some of the coolest dudes of all time.

Got to the Pacific Playgrounds (which will be a place I will be coming to a lot more in the future) and didn’t waste time loading up @ILHG’s awesome tank of a Hewescraft. Then a quick rip in sunny, flat calm water brought us to a jigging hole not for from the pile of boats at the green can (I believe it’s called)

We found bait and cap’n ILGH kept us on it all evening. We dropped our Shimano Butterfly jigs (which I just picked up from the tackle shack) and it didn’t take long before our rods were bending over left and right. Multiple Doubles, a triple at one point.

Notables: We had on a giant ling which went straight down and broke off, also a likely tyee and a mid 20’s slab which shook the hook at the boat, and many more beauties. Finally, we were treated to a humpback cruising around for a show to cap the end of the day.

We each kept one and they were all in the mid teens. Except @Waterwolf2230’s... his was a legit 80cm 20.5lb unicorn which had the fattest weight to length ratio possible. It was crammed full of 8” herring, like 7 of them. We had a lot of smiles, a lot of laughs and ripped a lot of lips!
HUGE thanks to @Prairie Locked @Waterwolf2230[/USER] and his dad and @ILHG and his whole family for showing me such hospitality and giving me one of the best days imaginable.
I’ve said enough... pics time:
View attachment 55268 View attachment 55269 View attachment 55270

Heard things had slowed down over the week. Well it did take my buddy and I
2 hrs to get our fish Saturday morning but Sunday was way to easy. Dropped the riggers at 5:35am, trolled 200m and hooked up a double header. One at 79cm and the second dead on 80cm. Crazy!

Attachments

• IMG_20200801_192352_478.jpg
    IMG_20200801_192352_478.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_20200801_192352_481.jpg
    IMG_20200801_192352_481.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 20200802_151036.jpg
    20200802_151036.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 170
  • 20200802_151057.jpg
    20200802_151057.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 20200802_151119.jpg
    20200802_151119.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 175
anybody been out to the hump/greencan lately? still fish out there?

Fished the green can yesterday morning between 1000 and 1300. We hooked about 15 fish between two of us (we were fishing w jigs) between approx. 12 and 25lb. Seemed like the trolling fleet was doing quite well too!

A bit of bait around (8-10” herring).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back