early to mid August recommendations?

Joy Lewis

I am planning a surprise trip for my husband for his 50th birthday next year and looking for recommendations for where to send him fishing in early to mid August. Any help is much appreciated! He is interested in salmon fishing.

Last edited:
I am planning a surprise trip for my husband for his 50th birthday next year and looking for recommendations for where to send him fishing in early to mid August. Any help is much appreciated!
Cabo

Good afternoon Joy.

You are going to get a lot of suggestions on here and most will be good or decent suggestions but I’m going to be honest with you. I’m just an avid salmon fisherman that heads out there a couple times a year so I pay attention to where and when is best for your dollar.

Beginning of Aug is always your best bet at getting salmon all up and down the island and the island is your best bang for your buck. Yes places like Rivers Inlet and the Queen Charlottes have good fishing but they are darn pricey for no better fishing than the west side of the island.

In particular either ucluelet or tofino. Why I like those places is you have the choice of staying in a lodge or staying in many different price ranges of Hotels what ever suits your budget. Then you can look at booking a charter boat from there, lots to choose from most out there are decent guys and know their job. If it’s a lodge your interested in then either Nootka Lodges or Tahsis based lodges are all good places you really can’t go wrong any place on the west side in Aug.

Your best to just hit the Google and look up lodges and charter boats in these areas and do some quick research and pricing for yourself and make a decision from that. If you nail it down to a couple choices come back and I’m sure someone here will know whether it’s a quality choice or not.

And yes Winter Harbour is great fishing that time of year my only issue with Winter Harbour is it’s a long drive up there and you really don’t have to go that far for the same quality of fish, the same fish that they catch there make their way down the island.

Hope this gets you started.

Also ill add how is he re rough waters and swells? if he is any way prone to seasickness those places can and will be not good for him..

Also ill add how is he re rough waters and swells? if he is any way prone to seasickness those places can and will be not good for him..
There's the chance of choppy water and sea sickness anywhere

In particular either ucluelet or tofino. Why I like those places is you have the choice of staying in a lodge or staying in many different price ranges of Hotels what ever suits your budget. Then you can look at booking a charter boat from there, lots to choose from most out there are decent guys and know their job. If it’s a lodge your interested in then either Nootka Lodges or Tahsis based lodges are all good places you really can’t go wrong any place on the west side in Aug.

Couldn't agree more. We've had consistently successful seasons out of Ucluelet. I recommend at least three full days of fishing if your husband definitely wants to max out on his salmon. I'm sure you and your husband will have a great trip!

Back